[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 1.82 MB, 1408x3420, 1330481689952.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
181456 No.181456 [Reply] [Original]

So iv been brewing this instructional for 3 weeks now and its gone see through (almost like some 1 just pissed in it) and there are small floating chunks in it

Should this be happening? also whats the effects of drinking a bad batch of homebrew?

>> No.181531

I don't know, but bumping for interest.

>> No.181532

thats meant to happen, its fine

and you get sick

>> No.181535

What is this meant to do?

>> No.181540

I've home-brewed a few times before. That's gonna happen, its time to move it to what would be the conditioning tank/conditioning tank. Just pour it to another same size container.
The first time you try it, only drink a glass full, if you feel fine after a half hour, you'll be fine.

>> No.181543

>>181540
>conditioning/serving

>> No.181546

>>181540
> if you feel fine after a half hour, you'll be fine.
Assuming a major bacterial infestation pumping out toxins in your failed brew, you won't feel any effects from something between 2 and 48 hours.

Assuming massive methanol content, 48 hours too.

But assuming you cleaned out the container beforehand, and included yeast in your brew, there should be no bacterial problem. And unless you added sawdust the methanol content should be minute/trace amounts at most(depending on fruit types etc)

>> No.181552

>>181546
Im assuming anyone who is brewing is cleaning their containers.
You also arent going to get anywhere near massive methanol content with this type of brewing. Assuming you boil this at some point you will be straight.

>> No.181554

You arent doing fucking rocket surgery, youre adding bread yeast to orange juice

>> No.181557

Doesn't the skin have pectin?

>> No.181565

The bacteria or infections you get in a homebrew aren't bad for you.
The only thing it can do is make your brew suck.

>> No.181642
File: 179 KB, 700x525, 1328828018892.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>2012
>Still using bread yeast.

Really should buy a wine yeast or brewers yeast. That won't be very fun to drink but it's a start I guess.

>> No.181650

I work at a homebrew store and I do have a few recommendations...

First, I'd condition the mead in a 1 gallon glass jug for several weeks after it's done fermenting in the primary fermenter(plastic jug). You want it in something that is for sure not oxygen permeable as oxidatation after fermentation has taken place will "brown" your mead and produce off flavors, which leads to the next thing...

Don't pour your mead. Even if you're really careful it's much better to use a food grade siphon hose. If you don't have an Auto siphon the next best thing to start a siphon is to fill the hose with water, do not suck the hose to start the siphon as this is a great way to contaminate your mead(aka make it taste bad). Also make sure the dispensing end of the siphon is all the way to the bottom of the jug you are fill so there is not splashing.

I'd also recommending getting your hands on some actual wine yeast as bread yeast is going to basically just ferment this mead and not really make it taste very good.

Alright, last few things, in rapid fire:
-Try to use types of honey other then Clover. Orange blossom is the tits.
-Invest in a $1.50 airlock instead of a ballon.
-Make sure nothing that goes into this mead has preservatives in it (potassium sorbate, etc.)
-Campden tablets might be a good idea just to make sure you have no problem with wild yeast contamination.

>> No.181656

>>181456
You could try filtering it through a charcoal filter. You should be able to get one at wal mart. Don't boil it because the alcohol evaporates before the water even steams. You could warm it up to about 175 degrees for a minute or two and that will clear it of any methanol.

If you want to make homemade booze, try making moonshine. It's not too complicated, it's basically stilling what you've made here. Definitely switch to brewer's yeast though.

>> No.181672
File: 111 KB, 500x375, 5211393423_1c96045dae.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>181650
This.

From my time in homebrewing (beer) I have learned that the most crucial parts of the brew process are sanitation and temperature control. Yeasts are very sensitive to temperature; too hot and the die off (pretty much irreversible) and too cold and they go dormant (you can still recover this).

Also, there are no know microbes that can survive in beer, so you are safe in that regard-all they will do is make the brew taste bad. As long as you did not leave in bleach in the container, you are fine to drink it.

It might be helpful if we actually knew how you made exactly. Did you do everything exactly as the pic says? It also help if you told us any records you kept (i.e. Recipe deviations, boil temp, room temp, type of yeast)

>> No.181675

>>181456
That is a good sign.

A bad batch is something you can not physically drink because it'll be so fucking bitter nasty hell that you can't swallow it. So, don't worry. If it tastes "bad" just let it age for 6 months or a year and it should get far better. So much better in most cases that it is night and day different.

>> No.181681

>>181672

I did it identical to the pic just in a 1/4 size

i also plan on doing another brew (air lock, correct yeast ect) after this one

Its just a starter project to get a feel for it

As for stats, its been going for a 3 weeks 2 days, its in a dark area at around about 20-22 degrees C. To rehydrate the bread yeast i mixed it with 45 degree water