[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 1.70 MB, 3264x1836, 2012-03-19_19-27-18_538.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
180271 No.180271 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/, Im doing some raised tirebed veggie gardens this year, with one small problem. My wifes new dog loves to root through the soil. I thought about making up some circular barriers from cut up milk jugs. Does diy have any other solutions?

>> No.180272

BLENDER DEFNEDER
http://www.plasma2002.com/blenderdefender/

srsly, teach the dog what isn't OK.

>> No.180375

1: Train the dog not to do that using positive reinforcement.
2: Fencing
3: Motion/IR detection sprinkler that shoots rabbits, dogs, deer, kids, etc

>> No.180408

>train the dog not to do that using positive reinforcement.
wont work

only hitting your dog will

>> No.180421
File: 402 KB, 300x169, 1330758225107.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>180408
>implying abusing animals helps them learn anything
mfw if i was a dog

>> No.180422

land mines

>> No.180427

>>180421
hitting is not abusing. abusing is abusing.

get the fuck over yourself peta fag, 2 different things

op, when you catch your dog doing it, hit it a few times, not to hard but hard enough to hurt it. garuntee it wont do it again.

>> No.180429

>>180427
not a peta fag, just have a decent amount of experience training dogs and witnessing people punching their dogs in the face to 'fix' their bad behavior only to watch their dogs go do exactly what they didn't want it to do. they usually don't even know why you're hitting them

>> No.180457

>>180408
I'm the anon that posted that.

You obviously don't have very much experience with animals. Positive reinforcement works faster and lasts far longer than negative enforcement. It's the same thing with humans too.

>> No.180483

All this gardening going on on /diy/ is making me want to grow something by my own. But i have no land to do it on.
Is it viable to grow something like tomatoes indoors? I have a spare closet i could use for that purpose.

>> No.180500
File: 7 KB, 300x300, b77b1fd5-0ae9-418d-aa4d-2645be9dd992_300[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you want to train the animal aversion training works, but don't hit the thing. Just get an air horn or make a "penny can" which is a couple of pennies in a metal can (empty soup can works). Both are incredibly loud and won't hurt the dog at all. (just don't airhorn him within 1' of his ears) The best way to do this is to sneak up on him and airhorn/pennycan him while he's in the act. Do your best beforehand to let him know that the area is off limits; once you do catch him digging, after you scare him with the airhorn/pennycan, act severely disappointed in him. It will help if your wife does the same thing. I'm talking "father just found out his son got his cousin pregnant" disappointed. Act like what he's done is the worst thing in the world. This might seem silly, but dogs actually can pick up on human expression very well. (not as well as people though, which is why you are overacting)

Alternately you could properly train the animal, but if it isn't yours that may be hard to do, unless your wife is in agreement. A properly trained dog can be told a "leave it" command and they will leave alone whatever you told them to indefinitely. Although keep in mind if he's a breed that is bred to dig (ie terrier or other "earthdog" breed) it will be difficult to get him to stop digging entirely, especially if you do have something (groundhog, mole, etc) under your yard.

As for the barrier, if you're willing to spend a little bit they sell rolls of galvanized metal flashing pretty cheap at hardware stores. For ~$20 you could get a 8" x 50' roll. It would be a lot easier than making it out of milk jugs, since it would be a continuous piece and would lend itself well to being put in a circle. Many people use them as weedwhacker/yard trimmer barriers around their trees.

>> No.180507

>>180500

*Galvanized STEEL

Also, if you want the barrier forever you could get aluminum flashing. It will be more expensive, though, and the galvanized steel will last you a long time as is. Especially if you live in an arid or semi-arid climate.

>> No.181631

You guys are all way off base here.

Don't abuse the dog, abuse the WIFE!

DUH!

>> No.182021

Jesus, go get some chain link fencing. Don't hit your dog, it doesn't know why it's being hit. You've already given the dog the back yard, it feels it can do whatever it wants back there as that is its territory, hence the digging and such. No amount of training is going to sink in fast enough for your garden to make it. Dogs like to mark territory, make sure your chain link fence accounts for this when fencing off your garden. Never leave the gate open. While your training him to respect your new boundary, anytime you leave that area open, that dog is going to be in there reclaiming what it feels is its.

>> No.182051

>>182021

They do sell flashing in rolls up to 24" wide. Depending upon the size of the tires and the dog that may be more than enough to keep the dog from digging. (The only thing is something that high might prevent sunlight from getting to the garden during certain times of the day. I don't know enough about plants and reflected light to give a good answer on that) If that's the case flashing will be cheaper than a chainlink fence. There's also even cheaper stuff like silt fence or construction fence but I doubt that would be enough to keep the dog out.

I do agree though, if OP hasn't trained the dog any before this, and hasn't trained any other dogs, training probably won't change the behavior in time to save the garden.

Probably the best (and easiest/cheapest) thing to go with if you're just going to fence off the whole area would be T-post or U-post fencing. It's what's used to fence pasture for livestock from cattle to goats. They have different sizes and gauges, it's also very quick to put up. The only thing is they will not have gate hardware for what you're wanting to do--you'll have to go with a chainlink gate or come up with your own solution. They also might not have it at your hardware store; if they don't check if there's a agriculture supply store near you.

(continued)

>> No.182053

>>182051

If you want to go with the chainlink, a good way to save money would be to use line posts instead of corner posts on the end. They sell corner post hardware in line post diameters at most places. You can also hammer in fenceposts rather than setting them in concrete. I wouldn't this if this fence was going to be up permanently, but the fence will likely be fine for a year or so this way. Also if you have existing fence (not sure if OP pic is related or not) you could substitute your end posts for attaching to the existing fence. If there's a post near where you'd want to put a gate attach your gate to that. They have chain-link hinge hardware you can bolt/screw onto wood and also hinge hardware you can screw into wood (on one end is the hinge prong, the other side is a giant wood screw)

(continued)

>> No.182054

>>182053

Also, thought I'd throw this out there as well, since if your wife's dog is a digger there's no guarantee he'll stop digging when he can't get to your garden. The best way to keep dogs from digging out from under fences (except invisible fences and electric fences) is to get a bunch of 1-2' pieces of rebar (it's cheaper if you can get it it 10' or 20' lengths and then cut it yourself, but it's still really cheap either way) and hammer them into the ground under the fence line where the digging is occurring, spaced close enough so the dog cannot pass between them. Your dog will stop digging there but will probably also start up again in a new place. If you have a small yard it might be a good idea to just put up rebar along the entirety of your fence from the get go.

Keep in mind, even if you end up rebarring the whole fence your dog will keep digging, but it'll just be random holes instead. The idea of the rebar is less to stop the dog from digging and more to prevent you from coming home and finding your dog has dug his way out of the yard. The best long term solution to any digging problem is going to be training your dog properly and doing enough activity with him that he isn't bored (unless he's an earthdog breed, digging is usually a sign of boredom)

>> No.182071

Take the dog out on a hunt. You return, it doesn't.

>> No.182632

>>180271
I know bugger all about training dogs, but have a question..

What did you use to cut the sidewalls off those tyres? i've been looking into making some tyre planters and all i've thought of using is an angle grinder

>> No.182646

you can use soda bottles filled with water we did this to our trees when I was a young lad.. it worked so someone called the ascpa on us because they tough it was cruel of us not let there dog piss all over our tree...