[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 207 KB, 485x327, garysignal.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
180187 No.180187 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/,

my toshiba laptop's extended 3 year warranty is about to run out this week and I'm going to send it in for them to fix an issue where some of my key board randomly doesn't work after booting (usually when on battery & power-saver).

However, seeing how this old piece of crap is falling apart in general (cracks, etc.) I was wondering if there was any way I could get the technical support people to do a bit more, give it a general overhaul or ideally replace the whole thing altogether.

tl;dr: ways to cheat /max last toshiba warranty repair

Thanks

>> No.180189

OP: Sned to Toshiba
Toshiba: WTF?
OP: Its fucking broken, fix it fix everything
Toshiba; LOL, OK, here you go.
OP: WTF>? More broken than befoer?
Toshia: LOl! Out of warranty now!

You';re welcome.

>> No.180197

Bump

>> No.180201
File: 249 KB, 512x384, 1230044602934.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm not even joking with this: Best Buy. Geek Squad is certified by all major computer manufacturers, and they don't give no fucks what it costs those manufacturers to fix a problem. If it's not done right, they'll do it again, so long as you originally got it in before the warranty was up.

Gateway refused to replace my bad RAM in a laptop, saying that I changed it. When I called to complain, they said I had to be transferred to their repair center, where i was fed some story about how I had to fill out all this paperwork and blablabla - basically, they were trying to wear out the rest of my warranty period.

I took it to best buy. Not only did I get it back with new RAM, but I had more RAM than I started with.

>> No.180204

>>180201

Thanks, but brit-fag here, this backwater-country no have best buy :(

>> No.180209

>>180201
OJh
>>180201
MY FUCKING GOD.

Just go sticj your disck in apencil sharpener already. That makes more sense (FOR ANY RWAOSN) than Geek Squad.

>> No.180213

>>180209
Your name says all I need to know to ignore your posts from now on.

>>180204
There's nothing like that near you? It doesn't have to be best Buy specifically - other companies offer similar services. Although, I understand if it's still difficult due to location.

Have you tried connecting an external keyboard to see if that works? That may narrow it down to if it's something possibly with the keyboard itself, or with the chipset.

>> No.180215

Me be British but got this Laptop in New Zealand by the way, if that's relevant.

>> No.180217

>>180213
Biriths toshiba only does send-in repairs, no qualified re-pairshops anywhere sadly. As for the keyboard thing, can't say I ever bothered

>> No.180220

>>180217
If it's the keyboard, then that's a simple fix, and pretty cheap. You could do that at home if you're concerned about dealing with Toshiba directly.

If it's the chipset, you'll need a replacement motherboard. Technically, you can still do it at home, but it's a bitch, and will be more expensive.

Anyway, as for getting them to overhaul the thing, they won't focus on repairing any issues that you don't report, and they'll pretty much ignore physical damage (unless it's something like the display is falling off due to weakened hinges over time or something).

I would just say that you're hearing noises from the hard drive, or you suspect the RAM is faulty - see if you can get as many new parts installed as possible.

>> No.180229

>>180220

Thanks for that :)

>> No.180232

>>180229

You can get good replacemnt parts ofr most common models on eBay, often from the factories in China that made the damned things to start with. But even these guys are wising up and dstarting to charge punitive pricing. Mobos especially, might as well just buy yourself a new machine,

>> No.180239

So there's no way of breaking it just enough to get a replacement?

>> No.180245

BUMP

>> No.180246

>>180239

well, let's see.

It's Juust about to run out of warranty.

Toshiba gi=ving you a replacement would cost Toshiba money.

What do you think they're going to do? it could be a smouldering black hole in the ground.... most 'normal wear' (cracks on a 3 year old machine?) don't get you a free redo.

>> No.180248

>>180239
well, if the motherboard is fucked, they may send you another, since it takes a while to deal with a motherboard replacement. However, you're not gonna be looking at a new laptop, but a refurbished one that may be worse off than your current one.

>> No.180252

>>180248
Hmmm... I get what you're saying.

>> No.180255

>>180252
I can't say that for 100% certainty - you may want to call them and ask about the issue. Try the keyboard test to see if it's the chipset or not. See what their standard method for handling a motherboard replacement is.

You may be able to nice-guy nag them into something better. You never know until you try.

>> No.180256

>>180246
>>180252

Yeah, being more helpful... at end of warranty the model's goging to be discontinued... no chance of a replacement that's new. You'll get a refurb at best, and it may or may not be better off than what you have.

But more likely, Toshiba will look out for th eshareholders and fufill the service contract in the least expensive way possible. So, repair with refurb parts, not covering any cosmetics (and cracks in a case arew likely to be 'cosmetics')

>> No.180264

>>180255
Well, maybe if I bug them with enough small-fry repair stuff they'll do a more general thing. THanks for your help.

>>180256
Thank you too.