[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 98 KB, 540x720, MahoganyCubicleMakeover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
180132 No.180132 [Reply] [Original]

Dear /diy/
Because of financial reasons I have switched to free dialup internet to save money. I was wondering what methods you would suggest to get the most out of my connection?

I already am using privoxy and polipo, tweaked browser settings to cache, use mobile versions of websites, and opera turbo/fastun.

Are there any other things I should or can add to this stream of things? Also should I be chaining them in any more specific order? Currently privoxy -> operaturbo/fastun -> polipo

>> No.180136

>>180132
I...didn't even realize you could still get dialup anymore.

>> No.180139

>>180136
yup you can and it works
fastfreedialup.com

I'm sure other sites have numbers also, but this is what I use, it's not awesome but certainly better than no net at all

>> No.180152

Try this OP...

MicroEmulator + Opera Mini

so you don't need any proxy.

>> No.180162

>>180132
Dial-ups available in a lot of places that can't get a decent connection. I was using it until about a year ago when i switched to satellite which is much worse.

>> No.180493

shit, dialup is FREE now????

>> No.180532

>>180132
i used free dialup around the Washington state area for years until this year. Finally, DSL came to my remote area. It's boss.

I torrented all the time with dial-up. I don't with DSL. Odd.

>> No.180539

>>180162
I had Hughesnet's satellite and Verizon's Mifi cellular. The satellite was balls out HORRIBLE for tons of reasons. The Mifi was a lot better but came with a 10GB a month cap they call "unlimited" because they don't cut your net, they just start charging you $10 for every 1GB over the 10GB/month limit. Hughesnet had F.A.P. Fair Access Policy. FAP throttles back your speed to dial-up if you use x amount over x time. That's just the start, I'm not going into the rest.

I have Frontier DSL now. Unlimited REAL UNLIMITED bandwith without fucking fees or throttling.

>> No.180543

Dude,

Modify your host file to map IP's to frequently used websites.

This way, your computer will not need to talk to a DNS server to find these websites. This is a practice performed by companies with slow WAN links (generally with a caching server, but this is along the same idea)

>> No.180930

>>180543
Thanks for that suggestion it'll actually help too cause I occasionally have DNS issues cause of all the traffic routing

The guys over at /g/ had suggestions but nothing I hadn't tried yet sadly, I can always count on fellow han/diy/men though

>> No.180931

>>180543
>This way, your computer will not need to talk to a DNS server to find these websites.
Doesn't it do that anyway? I thought the host file could only assign a local domain, redirect, and block. I'd figure you need to disable DNS for the pc not to utilize it.

>> No.180936

>>180930

dude you realize /g/ is a bunch of wallpaper, battlestation, and thinkpad threads, right?

>> No.181096

hmm I was searching the archive and I found a few things:
Truckerfag says "You can T-pipe a few connections together. 2 dialup lines and a cellphone should give you decent enough speeds for low resolution streaming video.

Never really looked into it myself, because I've never had more than one line available."

I also read suggestions on using cell phone connection to get shady 2G, but that some fees might get incurred so that doesn't seem worth it.

Also some people said I should switch the phone wire with CAT5 and use that instead ~_~

>> No.181110

the very best way to increase your dial-up speed is to borrow wifi from your neighbors. look into youtube How-to's on WEP cracking with Backtrack 4.

also, since XP, Windows does include a way to bridge two different connections to double your speed, be they dial-up or Ethernet. I tried it once, and couldnt get it to go, but I was just fooling around, didnt even look for a tutorial.

> Also some people said I should switch the phone wire with CAT5 and use that instead ~_~

funny

>> No.181116

>>181110
Yeah I use backtrack 5, no WEP networks around, the only few networks around are WPA and so far I haven't been able to crack them with my dictionary files

I've been looking into iptables/iproute to combine multiple connections if I have anything else to connect to http://tetro.net/misc/multilink.html

and yeah I'm pretty sure/hope the CAT5 thing was a joke?

I was also suggested to buy that brand new netzero usb free internet thing, it's only 200mb a month though for free, breaks down to about $6 a month for it

So I was looking into combining the connections for that ~_~

>> No.181122

Um.. forget that youtube exists, and start enjoying textfile sites. Here's where I spent all my time when I was stuck on 56k:
http://www.totse2.com/

totse is dead but they have an archive of the old text files, and new ones as well

>> No.181211

well just in case anyone is following this thread or for the archive with it I'm gonna try pfsense to see how that works out