[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 48 KB, 200x200, MIT.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
179860 No.179860 [Reply] [Original]

can i get some /diy/ education advice?

i haven't been in school since 2009 and am currently unemployed so going back isn't an option at this direct moment.

im going to look into MIT's free online courses but any advice you guys could give would be appreciated also. textbooks/books in general i can go buy/DL
anything really, i just need to exercise my brain again.

>> No.179925

no one wants to help me learn?

>> No.179930

/sci/ has a sticky that will help you out. What specifically do you want to learn?

>> No.179938

history and science(s) mostly, only thing is i'm just looking for general/introductory texts but i'm finding very specific subject things.

also, i forgot /sci/ had that im going to look at it again

>> No.180126

>>179938
Well, not exactly my forte per se, but as a mechanical engineering student, 3 books I found invaluable when starting out were:

The Machinery's Handbook - Absolutely vital in my engineering discipline. If I could only have one book, this would be it. Editions won't matter too much (especially considering you're just picking it up for something to do) because things haven't changed all too drastically over the years. I have the 28th edition, but my materials professor still has (and uses) a 10th edition in his workshop that he has had ever since his apprenticeship. Go for something cheap.

Engineering Mechanics and Strength of Materials (by Roger Kinsky) - Goes over some key concepts in depth that are more assumed knowledge in the Machinery's Handbook. Really good first look at materials.

Calculus Made Easy (by Silvanus Thompson) - Let's face it, you do engineering, you do maths. They are part and parcel. This is a good basic calculus book as it doesn't just throw formulas at you and expect you to plug in numbers and not actually learn anything. Rather, it tries to explain the concepts of calculus, so you actually know what you're doing and can apply it yourself to a lot of given problems.

>> No.180190

academicearth.org is a good place to start for free classes.

>> No.180195

Got a local college with a public campus? Go crash classes. Do the work. You don;t get to turn it in and get a greade, but you're there to learn, not for the paper, right?

FTR, fpr me the loal college is MIT actually. And yeah, when they ask "Are you a student", just say "NO, I'm just here to learn." They;re OK with that so long as you're not an ass.

>> No.180257

Check out thegreatcourses.com. They sell audio books and recorded lectures on various topics. The history lessons are particularly good. If you want to exercise your math and programming skills, you can start on project euler.