[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 13 KB, 460x345, glass disks.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
179355 No.179355 [Reply] [Original]

Hey I was wondering if anyone has a good idea for attaching a small glass disk to a necklace. I dont think I can drill a hole in it without cracking and glue seems messy. Thoughts?

>> No.179357

Wrap metal around the edge of the disk and attach the necklace to the metal maybe?

>> No.179360

>>179357
like around the outside? I could probably do that. maybe get a little bit of thin aluminum sheet and make a lip that covers the edge of the front to hold it in place. Thanks.

Any idea where i could acquire some thin metal sheets?

>> No.179363

>>179360
No clue. I'm good for maybe one intelligent burst a day and that's about it. Doesn't help that it's getting late. Good luck though.

>> No.179366

buy small set of diamond grinding bits from harborfreight or somewhere else if you want to spend more and hate that china makes everything. then use a dremel to drill through; keep the bit wet by dipping just the bit in a small glass of water. if you dont have a dremil a drill will work.

>> No.179381

>>179366
If you're careful, this would work. Remember kids, glass is technically a liquid.

>>179357
Probably use some metal wire for this, if you can get it to wrap tight, this could work, it'd be hard to get tight enough though. Always try extremly low amount of clear glue and making sure the layer is extremely thin and work it so the glue's not easily noticeable.

>> No.179386
File: 78 KB, 500x500, wire-wrapped-reticello-disk-low-res.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>179381
The idea that glass is a liquid is just a persistent myth. Glass does not sag or deform until it reaches the melting point. Stories about glass flowing over hundreds of years are false.

Wire wrapping is a common way of making necklaces from objects without a hole. Lots of tutorials for it.

>> No.179398

>>179355
Enclose it in a frame of some sorts, or glue/epoxy.

>> No.180160

Look at the subject line.

Okay, here's some advice on how to do this.

1) You can drill glass, but you really do need specialized bits, and a water/oil recirculating lubricant setup. Not the easiest to do.

2) The wire wrap method. Done with pretty great success. Google things like "Wire Wrap Necklace" and you'll see glass chunks, rocks, and crystals. can be done very nicely.

3) Glue. God, where do I start.

Okay 1st. Superglue says it glues glass on nearly every card. It lies. Been working with glass almost 26 years, NEVER got superglue to hold more than 2 days, if the glass was hanging.

2nd. Clear 2 part Epoxy. Actually this works pretty well. I use DevCon 2 part 5 minute epoxy. over time it yellows, but for attacking jewelery hooks, etc to backs, it works pretty well.

Finally. There are specialty glues for glass. VERY expensive, and they need UV light to set. ($50 for a tube the size of a small tube of superglue) Different varieties, some work only glass on glass, others work glass on metal. Quality for these is all over the place. 15 years ago, I bought 2 tubes of stuff that set me back $95, and are incredible. I still have the empty tubes, but the writing is all worn off. Keep hoping to find it again.

>> No.180171

>>179381

Glass it technically a liquid FUCk YOU GODDAMNED FANCy WRONG BOOK LEARNING

if you've never tried it, shut the goddamned fuck up/. Jesus./

>> No.180202

>>179386
your fail.

>> No.180206

>>180160
>3) Glue. God, where do I start.

how about "if you can chemically etch the glass where you will glue it, the glue will hold a lot better"

I'd agree that drilling it is probably not going to end with the glass dish still in one piece.

>> No.180212

>>180206

If you know how to drill galss it will go great! Glass is easy to drill.

Oh, wait, you've never odneit beofre? Then, yeah EXACTYL WHAT HE SIAD.

[just spent the whole night trying to gring a glass blank. JESUS FUCK I hate glass. Going great them POW SHATER TINKLE TINKEL HA HA got too hot! Still, went better the drunker I got.]

>> No.180824

maybe someone knows some chemicals that dissolve glass? o;

>> No.180833

>>179355

Making a meteor fragment?

>> No.180835

The adhesive used to attach rear-view mirrors to windshields would probably work, but you need a decent surface area to adhere to. I don't know if that would suit the aesthetics of the piece you are making.

>> No.180836

>>180824
Hydrofluoric acid. It's scary stuff, it can kill you. You won't feel it if you spill it on you.

I'd recommend using superglue, it's not that messy. You could even go all out and use optical adhesive which is what one uses to hold lenses and optical equipment together, but that will be very expensive.
http://www.edmundoptics.com/products/displayproduct.cfm?productid=1597

they're UV cure too, so leave it in the sun a bit to cure it.

It's fucking clear as mother fucking glass

>> No.180840

>>179355
...have you thought about measuring it to see how large it is and then finding a setting for it at some place like fire mountain gems? They have them in all different metals, all different price points, most of them really reasonable.
>>179360
You can get 9x12 sheets of metal in craft stores. I've purchased pieces of copper sheeting at Hobby Lobby, for instance.

>> No.181416

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but try melting a hole.
Get a small cylinder of steel that is how big the hole needs to be, heat it to red-hot and slowly touch it to the glass. You may need to heat the glass first to avoid thermal shock.
Whatever you do, make sure you post it on here. Those have some potential.

>> No.181435
File: 332 KB, 864x594, 1291150255655.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OMG IS THAT NZT?

OP WHERE DID YOU GET IT!?
I NEED MORE!

>> No.181470

>>181416
I feel like this would cause the disk to deform.

Just use a bit made for glass, or like one dude said diamond tipped bits. Lubricate it with oil to cut down on friction, and drill as carefully(read: slow) as possible to prevent cracks.

>> No.181479

Take it round to a waterjet cutting company - they might not even charge you to drill a hole in a single piece of glass.

>> No.182526
File: 23 KB, 500x500, wire.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Maibe this works

>> No.182534

congealed gravy works good, or semen.

>> No.182567

>>179381
>glass is technically a liquid.

Nope.jpg

>> No.182583

The whole "glass is a liquid" thing is annoying.
Sure it can be heated up and melted, turned into a liquid state. But at temperatures in which life as we know it can exist, glass is a solid with a crystalline structure. Think of it as a frozen liquid if you want, but it's still solid.

>> No.182587

not sure if this has been said or not, but, they make glass epoxy that works real well. i made a necklace for a gf years ago and used this stuff to glue it together, and glue it to the hook thingy to put a string through.

>> No.182828

>>182583
>glass is a solid with a crystalline structure

Wait, no. Hold it.

Glass does not have a crystalline structure. This is one of the reasons it's confused for a liquid. A crystalline structure is not strictly required for something to be solid; glass in particular is actually an amorphous solid.

>> No.182934

>>182828
Glass is most definitely an "amorphous solid". That's the exact phrase I was going to post, but you beat me to it.
I learned that in 8th grade. That's why older glass windows are harder to see through at the bottom. The glass settled, but it doesn't "flow" the way a liquid does.

>> No.182944

>>182934
Also nope.
>materials engineer reporting in.
Old glass does not flow, it's just as solid as steel or any other solid. The reason for the thicker base is that the float process of making huge sheets of perfectly flat glass didn't exist back then. So the way to get flat sheets was to cast them in a mold which lead to surface ripples. Since molten glass is about as vicious as honey those ripples couldn't settle out before solidifying. The common process to avoid a completely wavy window was to then fill the mold from one side to the other, the ripples would pile up on one side, causing it to be thicker. The standard procedure was that the thick side was then the bottom of the finished window.

And as to the whole "glass is liquid", it ain't. While the glass has no long range crystalline structure (amorphous), that doesn't keep it from being a solid. We've even managed to make amorphous metals that exhibit very different properties than their crystalline counterparts.

>> No.182946

Back on topic now, OP, you can use a glass bit (acailable at any hardware store) to drill a hole in the disc, or take a deremel disc and cut notches around the perimeter and make a wire cage for the disc that to the necklace.

>> No.183107

You can drill a hole with a diamond grit drill bit, keep wet while drilling.

>> No.183111

>>180160
Bar/table top epoxy generally contains anti-yellowing agents. Dunno if it will bond glass as well, but you can give it a shot.

>> No.183321

>>182934
>That's why older glass windows are harder to see through at the bottom. The glass settled, but it doesn't "flow" the way a liquid does.

No, that's not the case either. For the glass to lose any long-range order (ie: flow) would take longer than the age of the universe.

Old glass panes are often a little thicker at the bottom because their thickness wasn't uniform (glass forming wasn't as good then as it is now), and they were generally installed thick-side down for added strength. A lot of old glass panes are installed sideways or even upside down because people didn't always consider this.