[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 115 KB, 1500x1377, 71lJxGiiKzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1791464 No.1791464 [Reply] [Original]

Is there a way to refresh these at home? It's time to get innovative.

I have a couple sets of these but due to current events they are difficult to obtain. I want to use them for oil based paint. They still block solvent odors so the carbon filters are still good, but because I also put on the respirator for sanding I think the particulate filter portion got too clogged over time and they take a good amount of effort to breathe through. Any ideas?

>> No.1791472

>>1791464
take your air compressor and blast air through them the other way.

>> No.1791485

>>1791464
they're ultrasonic welded around the seam between the pink bit and the beige bit, there's basically no chance of spudging the can open, it will have to be cut. the p100 filter material loses some of it's particle-grabbing power when washed in water or solvent, although it seems to be OK to blow out with compressed air. if you have a shop vac with a blow function that usually gets wood dust out but it won't push sandblasting grit or dried paint out of the filter fabric.
carefully cut the can open, pink side up (without spilling the loose charcoal granules that capture the vapors), to replace the clogged p100 filter with some other fine filter like a HEPA hoover bag, a furnace filter, range hood or cabin pollen filter material (ruche/fanfold the material for maximum surface area to improve breathability, hot glue seal the edge to the can so it can't be bypass), then taping it back together and it will be fine for painting. it's not going to be as good as new, but better than walking around bareface in a cloud of paint.

>> No.1791563

>>1791485
<3
You sound like you've done this before. Thanks.

>> No.1791599

>>1791464
>"it's time to get innovative"
>goes on the internet and asks someone else how to do simple shit

>> No.1791605

>>1791485
>p100 filter material loses some of it's particle-grabbing power when washed in water or solvent
>some
Don't wash them
HEPA filters lose a significant amount of their capturing ability when dunked in liquid
Vacuuming helps sometimes though

>> No.1792440

>>1791464
take it apart, throw away the filters, replace with cotton pads.

>> No.1792623

>>1791464
The pink part of the filter contains a P100/HEPA solid particulate filter.

You can dust that part out with compressed air.

>> No.1793384

>>1791464
If it’s just to be safe from wood dust, dryer sheets will be fine. Chemicals you’ll have to buy new