[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 139 KB, 1271x537, be excellent to each other.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1765997 No.1765997 [Reply] [Original]

How to /diy/
Hopefully this won’t get deleted and I won’t get banned for actually trying to help people.

The first step is the ability to think, generalize, and not require exact instructions to do anything. If you are not able to figure things out without detailed instructions /diy/ is not for you.

Second step to /diy/ is basic tools you should have (at a minimum):
Set of screwdrivers
Set of “jewelers” screw drivers
Hammer (type depends on what you will be doing).
Set of SAE and Metric sockets (every size from small to at least ¾”/19mm.
Same for a set of open/box end wrenches.
Pliers (all types you might need)
Tape measure
Rulers/square (suitable for the work you will be doing).
Some kind of volt/ohm meter.
Soldering iron and resin core solder (not acid).
Electrical tape

Optional tools:
Depends on what you will be doing and how much money you have. The sky is the limit here.
A set of decent Cordless tools is a good start.

Third is (for young anons) to “apprentice” (if practical) not an actual official apprenticeship, finding someone you know who can (in person) help you learn. Take up a summer job with a contractor/electrician/carpenter/auto mechanic or whatever (this is what I did). It does not matter so much as get some real world experience learning how to troubleshoot/diagnose and fix things. I had a Sunday school teacher who was a carpenter/contractor and I helped him do whatever he was doing; from building shelves to building his workshop behind his house. When I was a kid I learned the basics of working on a car from my dad, he had an old chevy suburban (1973) and it required a lot more maintenance than modern cars.

>> No.1765998 [DELETED] 

Can’t find anyone who can help you? Well then Mr. google is your friend. Almost anything you want to do or fix is on the internet. Google and youtube are an incredible resource. Things I learned purely from the internet/google/youtube:
Fixing old tube radios (over 50 of them).
Fixing old Transistor radios (12)
Fixing gasoline engines
Building electrical circuits of every kind
Recapped 10 motherboards
Over 25 LCD monitors
Built 7 power supplies for various pieces of equipment.
A 1200 watt inverter
6 stoves/ovens
Over 250 things just since 2012.

Fourth Don’t be afraid of breaking stuff that is already broken.
There have been many things I have fixed just by messing with it till I found the problem and then came up with a way to fix it. If it’s broken and you (or someone) was going to throw it out anyways then do whatever you want to it.

Fifth is common sense. Common sense does not exist. What people call common sense is really learned sense or things that you should have learned or been taught when you were very young (by your dad or someone else). Sadly “common sense” seems to not be taught now-a-days (adjusts onions on his belt). Are wood. Metal, or auto shops still around? Do schools still teach electronics?

Bonus simple tip on searching using google.
Use this page https://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

The knack, if you still can’t figure things out you may not have “the knack”.

No lets see if other anons provide helpful tips or just shit all over this

>> No.1766001

Can’t find anyone who can help you? Well then Mr. google is your friend. Almost anything you want to do or fix is on the internet. Google and youtube are an incredible resource. Things I learned purely from the internet/google/youtube:
Fixing old tube radios (over 50 of them).
Fixing old Transistor radios (12)
Fixing gasoline engines
Building electrical circuits of every kind
Recapped 10 motherboards
Over 25 LCD monitors
Built 7 power supplies for various pieces of equipment.
A 1200 watt inverter
6 stoves/ovens
Over 250 things just since 2012.

Fourth Don’t be afraid of breaking stuff that is already broken.
There have been many things I have fixed just by messing with it till I found the problem and then came up with a way to fix it. If it’s broken and you (or someone) was going to throw it out anyways then do whatever you want to it.

Fifth is common sense. Common sense does not exist. What people call common sense is really learned sense or things that you should have learned or been taught when you were very young (by your dad or someone else). Sadly “common sense” seems to not be taught now-a-days (adjusts onions on his belt). Are wood, Metal, or auto shops still around? Do schools still teach electronics?

Bonus simple tip on searching using google.
Use this page https://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

The knack, if you still can’t figure things out you may not have “the knack”.

Now lets see if other anons provide helpful tips or just shit all over this thread.

>> No.1766014

If forgot to mention step 6
Where do I get tools? I am a poor anon.

This opens a can of worms but surprisingly ebay is an excellent source. I recently purchased a set of craftsman metric 1/4 and 3/8 sockets (no ratchet) from someone on ebay for less money (including shipping) than the cheap socket sets from harbor freight. Which by the way are perfectly acceptable tools for the home game /diy/ person who may not be doing professional work, or just financially challenged. Many of them now come with the same warranties that Craftsman has.

Grampa's garage. ask nicely and he might let you have some of his tools, grampa's dead? no problem ask gramma she probably doesn't use them anyways.

yard sales and thrift stores. I see decent brand tools all the time at thift stores. Often being sold for peanuts. They go quick so keep an eye out for them. Goodwill likes to put them in baggies and hang them on a back wall.

Ask people to give you gift certificates to home depot (or wherever) for birthdays or christmas.

>> No.1766652
File: 27 KB, 640x960, 1573122990031.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1765997
nice threade anon keep up the great work
have a bump

>> No.1768058

bump

>> No.1768115

>>1766014
Adding to this. Keep an eye out for small tool shops and ask around. I found out about a place from some random guy in another trade about this big warehouse that sells shit loads of used power tools for cheap. Got a ryobi sawzall for $30 today

>> No.1768498

Bump. Nice tips anon

>> No.1769327
File: 23 KB, 398x500, 1372135446379.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1765997
This is a good thread, should be refined and potentially sticky'd for all newcomers.

>> No.1769334

OP i respect you trying to be helpful, but comprehensive advice isn't really helpful for newfags, it's too much for them to take in and 'getting into diy' is too broad and unspecific in reality people are going to just start with one project, where most of the 'necessary' tools you recommend won't be necessary and they'll only focus on that and then if they do have experience a comprehensive guide for newfags is redundant.

The better way to be helpful is just posting OC of your own projects and tools and stuff, as you're using them/ doing stuff, for newfag lurkers and not trying to comprehensively collate it all. People can get inspired already on this board and get specific help with specific things.

>> No.1769336
File: 177 KB, 398x494, 5ae9b470b58dcc190a6e359512faf9c71948dc21d1a44aacd40c4acb7099e9da.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1769327

>> No.1769368

>>1769334
>posting OC of your own projects and tools and stuff
I (and others) have done that, and no matter what it is I (or they) instantly get jumped on and abused for it.

>> No.1769397

>>1769368
I post my projects and tools and stuff and don't get 'abused' for it. Maybe you should drop the victim complex or fuck off sweetie.

>> No.1769451
File: 59 KB, 750x500, 01 - ad hominen.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1769397

>> No.1769452

>>1769397
you will honey bunches... you will.

>> No.1769506

>>1765997
>If you are not able to figure things out without detailed instructions /diy/ is not for you
I disagree, at least for beginners. Filling in the gaps in instructions is a skill, and like any skill it takes time. If someone needs that extra detail to get their project done, that's fine. It's better than being discouraged.

>>1766001
>Do schools still teach electronics?
Not sure about teaching electronics in the classroom, but I've done a lot of work with after school programs that teach robotics. So at least there's something.
>>1766014
>Where do I get tools? I am a poor anon
Two things to add to this: There's no shame in borrowing tools the first couple times so long as you're not inconveniencing people, and when buying tools, buy them in person if possible. There are lots of little details (knurling, lettering, ergos) that won't be apparent until you're holding the tool.

>> No.1770398

>>1769506
>Not sure about teaching electronics in the classroom
my high school had an electronics class in the 80's.

>> No.1770442

>>1765997
>Dear diary, today OP was not a faggot.
Good job OP. I salute your good intentions. Some will benefit from reading your words and it should probably be made into a sticky. Unfortunately the turbo-autists and shitposters can never be helped.