[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 2.26 MB, 3264x2448, 20200104_154050.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1745520 No.1745520 [Reply] [Original]

Okay, so rental house doesn't have washing machine hookups. We tried local laundromats, they want at least $7 a small load just to wash so we bought pic related. Don't mind washing it this way but how do I make clothes less scratchy after drying? Is there something I could mix in with the detergent? Also wasn't told none of the sockets in the kitchens aren't actually grounded despite all of the sockets having reset buttons. Ended up freaking the circuit out with an instant kettle and now half of the kitchen is with out power. Swapped said socket but still no bueno. Suggestions?

>> No.1745529

>>1745520
>Suggestions?
Electricity: Isolate the problem.
Washing: What do you mean with scratchy? What fabric is it? Do you know what a fabric softener is and have you tried it?
Picture you posted: Read about resizing and rotating. Or stop using a fucking phone to use the Internet.

>> No.1745573

Was going to say to install your own washer hookups buT you can't figure out a gfci.

>> No.1745633
File: 392 KB, 2034x1354, DSCN0073a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1745520
Switch to using one of these for washing. You can get your clothing far cleaner. You can also just use your feet in a large plastic tote, I use one for blankets that don't fit into the washing machine. For drying and making it soft? That comes from it being manipulated by the tumbling in the dryer. You'll just need to wad it up and unwad it a few times. Then iron if needed.

>> No.1746017

they used to market "portable" washing machines and dishwashers that would plug in 120VAC and connect to quick-connect fitting at sink spout. could you DIY a washer to free-stand and connect hoses when you need to? doesn't solve the issue of dryer but many have diy'ed cloths lines..

>> No.1746027

>>1745633
Is this diy with a bucket and plunger with holes drilled?
I have an old school exercise bike setup, where you put an actual bike’s tire on spinning bars and get on and petal. If that makes sense?
I wonder if I can dyi some way to make it so that it plunged while I bike. So I can exercise and do laundry at the same time. May make a thread about this in in the future...

>> No.1746029

Hang your clothes up in the bathroom so they drip dry into the tub with a space heater and fan going, (move the shower rod so it’s in the middle).
Then go in and beat the shit out of your clothes every 5 min or so. Set a repeating timer on your phone. Good exercise and it works just as well as a drier.

>> No.1746035

>>1746017
Still do, I have one, though they're not quite as convenient as a full size washing machine. It's basic as basic can be, but it works just fine and I've had no problems for 5 years now. I use a hanging rack afterwards to dry. https://laundry-alternative.com/

>>1745520
It's probably scratchy because you're not rinising all the detergent out. Without a wringer it's incredibly hard to use a washboard effectively.

>> No.1746123
File: 30 KB, 500x311, laundrypanaroma.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1746027
If you are going to use a bike, you can actually just hook it up to a normal washer/dry to run them. There're are many ways to do it using this or even a 55gal drum.

>> No.1746518

You really need a clothes dryer or a steamer to make the clothes “less scratchy”.
Basically, detergent in small quantities can be left in the fabric, which can cause skin issues and “stiffness”, and disolved minerals from your tap water can also get left in the cloth.
The tumbling of a dryer,
especially when combined with the warm or hot air,
causes the fabric to get “steamed” to a certain extent,
And causes soap deposits and mineral deposits to “break up” during the tumbling cycle in the dryer, helping to make the fabric softer.
Also,
Washing machines “spin” the clothing between washing and rinse cycles, which is way more efficient to get the soap residue out of the fabric than hand washing and rinsing.

Vinegar can be used as a natural “fabric softener” and will help neutralize “soap residue” and hard water minerals, whether machine or hand washing, so you should probably purchase a large bottle of white vinegar at a supermarket, and throw about a cup in with the rinse water when you wash your clothing.

Also, you can purchase garment steamers for $40 for a cheap model, and less than $200 for a top wuality version.
They’ll make your clothes softer whether machine drying or line drying. They even work on Carhartt fabric which is stiff as fuck.

For hand washing efficiency, buy one of these ‘Laundry Alternative Wonderwash‘ things.
It’s still nicer to use sn actual washer, but it’s far better than hand washing.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002C8HR9A/ref=psdcmw_13397451_t2_B00UD83Y7A

>> No.1746521

>>1746518
Also, forgot to mention;
Woolite is designed for washing “delicate” fabrics that can’t handle either the motion of a washing machine, or hot or warm water.
As such, Woolite is much better to use for hand washing, since it works better with cold water, and rinses easier.

>> No.1746616

>>1746123
Well the thing is, the bucket/plunger contraption looks cheaper than an actual washer.
But, do you think it would be more practical to use the bike mechanism to generate electricity to power a pump, instead of directly lifting and plunging the plunger?

>> No.1746690
File: 101 KB, 1091x648, Work Smarter.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1745520
Bro you are wasting your time. You can get a washing machine that hooks up to your sink/bathtub for the cost of 15 loads of laundry at your local laundry mat. Look at these two

https://www.amazon.com/SUPER-DEAL-Portable-Compact-Washing/dp/B07HVSR8RF/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=cheap+washing+machine&qid=1578339954&sr=8-5#customerReviews

or

https://www.amazon.com/Giantex-Portable-Compact-Washing-Machine/dp/B074C62867/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=cheap%2Bwashing%2Bmachine&qid=1578339954&sr=8-2-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyTlJOWTRVM1hDNEwwJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTU4ODk0MlZNU0gxTllEMkRLTCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDk3NDUyMzdUVE0xRjcxQVBaSiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

>> No.1746698

>>1745520
>rental house doesn't have washing machine hookups.
Sure it does. Any sink and be used as one if it has a functioning vent stack. You can put adapters/tees on the removable flex lines of any sink.

>> No.1746878

>>1746690
I looked at the bottom link, and apparently it has some serious issues and a large amount of defective units, at least according to the reviews.

>> No.1746879

>>1746616
Old washers are free. The may leak but youre going to gut them anyhow.

>> No.1747136

>>1746616
It'd be easier to adapt than to build from the ground up.