[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 200 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault (2).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1745034 No.1745034 [Reply] [Original]

what fucking projects can I do to not make me murder someone or cry and sleep like a bitch. I have tons of tools but no motivation.

looked into those resin landscaping projects, look it's so easy to to make a table with ocean waves or rocks underneath, right? I don't have any of that stuff. woodworking seems played out. I'm a shit welder with a shit welder.

need some positive feedback.
>inb4 wrong place
>inb4 banned

>> No.1745038
File: 55 KB, 1000x1000, white-lutron-dimmers-p-bdg-pkg1w-64_1000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Replace some light switches with light switches.

>> No.1745045

>>1745034
I liked fixing broken kid stuff when I was kicking. Seems important that it is useless and trivial. Maybe hit the thrift store and look for inspiration.

>> No.1745046

>>1745045
lol I was this close to going to the thrift store after work today, but realized whenever the wife drug me there I never wanted anything. will try it thanks fren

>> No.1745134

This may not be helpful at all but i'd suggest buying some kratom to take the edge off. It will at least help your mood and some physical symptoms

>> No.1745142

>>1745034
Once your over the acute symptoms you get to deal with PAWS, likely for a few years at least. I would get into the habit of expecting it, it's a good game to play. It will help immensely to get you out of paws symptoms, whatever they may be for you. If I were you I'd start reading intensely about it if you're uneducated. Ask me how I know.

>> No.1745143
File: 195 KB, 1280x558, 339470A1-1026-4C7C-8DF4-608E00718044.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1745038
I been thinking about some of these smart outlets. I re-caulked the two bathrooms when I broke my foot.

Fishin is a pretty good past time as well. Change spark plugs for the old cat lady and get paid in cat food if you got nuttin better to do on a Friday night.

>> No.1745310

>>1745142
paws? I don't like the idea of of living my life with no alcohol. I mean get over the hump but still be able to knock back a few beers with frens vs fifth of vodka? or is that a unicorn?

>> No.1745353

>>1745310
It’s too late. Now that you’ve decided that alcohol is an “issue,” you will never be able to enjoy it casually. It’s a shame, but that’s how the abstinence industry makes all of its money.

>> No.1745380

>>1745310
It’s rough once you went too far. You can try and have a couple drinks with friends, but the next morning you will want to keep going and going. It’s easier to make it a few months without any and you forget about it and lose the obsession.

>> No.1745389

>>1745134
This. Kratom got me through the first week and it was much easier after that. I don’t know about the addictive potential of Kratom but I personally do not enjoy it that much so it was never an issue for me. It’s slightly dopaminergic so it lets you itch your cravings a bit and focus on other things

>> No.1745390

>>1745310
Yeah that isn’t going to work. You’ll take one sip and instantly reactivate the old pathway for alcohol and you’ll be back at square one. You have to abstain completely. It literally has to be your number one priority every single day.

>> No.1745427

>>1745034
I got you brother.

Fish.

Man, i wanted a 10 gallon and some fish and after i set it all up my plants kept dying. Tested water and its feline aids for fish. They may live, but we can live in smog with little sunlight also. Nobody can thrive being miserable.

Then we get into i forget the name. But you boil a piece of broccoli or whatever and let it rot in water for a few weeks.

Then the bacteria in it are food for baby neon tetras you just bred.

Then 10 days or so after you can feed them brine shrimp. Then get into raising brine shrimp.

Hydroponics, aquaponics, fish keeping, fish breeding, aquascaping, etc...

Man, it never ends. It is a hobby that can be free and pay for itself or you can program an automated fish room and run it from your phone.

They are like pets. They all have their own personalities and most hobby fish are cheap. You may accidentally kill some or have an accident. It's not fun but the death of a 30 cent fish is easier than a dog dying.

You have a reason to not be fucked up and stay busy testing water perameters and getting fish to be happy!

>> No.1745429

>>1745045
Thos is solid advice also>>1745045

>> No.1745431

>>1745034
clean your house and yard.

also, wash your penis

>> No.1745434
File: 303 KB, 1195x1200, 1573942781367.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1745310
>I mean get over the hump but still be able to knock back a few beers with frens vs fifth of vodka?
nigger, my new years resolution was to stop drinking.
i drank last night
and im drinking this morning.
i have my house and own business, i cant imagine how successful i would be without alcohol

>> No.1745435

>>1745046
Don't look at what stuff is there. Look what you can make from it!

This year's highlights for me:

Scooby Doo cake pan. Made a dozen cement lawn scooby statues and painted some up for a buddy.

25 cent transformers that plug into the wall and output anything from the last 15 years. Gave 15 bucks for all 5 boxes. I keep a list in the first box for shit's and gigs. 8 times in 6 months i grabbed up a transformer. Built 2 battery tenders for my boats, a 7.4v lipo charger, and power some 12v leds to light up the chickens and power a car horn based on motion censors. Trash pandas, coyotes, and foxes be cucked forever.

Grabbed 5 big glass vases. 50 cents each. I epoxied them together and wrapped a slightly larger black pvc pipe around all of the joints. I have 2 29 gallon aquariums a 1 buck a gallon from pet co. Now the fish have a bridge between tanks!

Bought a leather purse and a 20 dollar leatherworking kit off amazon. Had some fun. Bookbinding is an amazing fucking hobby i never new existed.

Found a gold legend of zelda for original nes in the box with instructions tucked behind a bunch of clothes. Paid $1.50 and gave it to a childhood friend. He is an odd duck and i love the guy. It is worth well over 600 bucks. I also gave him my console collection because i never play and if i want to do barrel rolls in starfox i can do it day or night. He has a peewee herman, alf, kermit freddy kruger dolls hanging out on a shelf. I actually got a call yesterday. I am donating $100 to my local charity ran thrift store. They have a 1 foot tall California raisins collection. He started with 4 and now this will be the 100th one if you count the keychain i stashed thinking id only find a couple.

I bought nearly 3k in silver dinnerware from the thrift shop for 200 bucks. I sold it all. Took my wife on a cheap weekend getaway. Spent mayne 400 bucks. Then gave the thrift shop the rest of my money from it.

Macklemore is our king bro

>> No.1745436

>>1745142
Qhat the fuck is paws

>> No.1745438

>>1745436
Post acute withdrawal syndrome.

>> No.1745439

>>1745390
that's some AA cult shit, I used to start drinking in the AM and spend $500 a week on cocaine, now capable of having a couple beers with friends or going hard for a night occasionally. I don't like to that often because it fucks me up for days after though. Moving away from my hometown for a few months and being around people who didn't do that definitely helped though, and i have to have self control to not just go on a bender now that im back

>> No.1745443

>>1745143
If you have access to cash, transportation, and the ability to haul shit purplewave is a fucking gold mine.

My buddy and i clear 1k a month or more. We have a 10k slush fund and the ability to get 3 times that with a phone call.

We buy heavy equipment attachments that are shit ass broken. Cracked joints, busted lines, blown seals, etc... we buy shit for 3-4 grand. Put 1 grand and 2 days of beer drinking and paint into it. We hook it up and take video of it working and give a 90 day warrenty. Then we throw out 8k attachment for like 5 or 6k. We get 200 offers and gone the next day rather than try and dick with retards for 4 months.

It's a lot of fun and we get to use the shit if we want first.

Last month I needed to run electric 4 miles. We bought and pimped out a trencher rock wheel cutter for a skid loader and a narrow hoe bucket. Patched it up for use, tore it down to make new again, sold at a profit!

Project Sanctuary is a charity helping vets reaclimate to normal life and their families.

Long story short i want to help military and depressed anons and it seems this ks the place to go.

Not sure...

Treat it like a breakup
Get over it buy getting under someone
Never be bored. The second you stop moving its downhill. Fight the time gap until you are okay with being productive

Happy is a joke. I spent the last 5 years online and in real life trying to help depression bros because I'm daily praying to be suicided myself...

Life is hell, but misery loves company.

I got a little telegram shitposting group if you want in op

>> No.1745447

>>1745034
I forgot anon. For 8 months i was on call 24/7. So i went from drinking everyday to fucked...

Non alcoholic beer helps so much. I quit drinking and bored. The non drinkers are boring and if you arent drinking you get annoyed by the drunks and get to be the preggers girl dd all day.

Bush NA is non alcoholic and kinda gross. Bit with a koozie i would show up in the rollback and be a 1 man uber. You to drunk to drive? Load up the car and drop it off in your driveway.

Try and snitch on me while I'm handling a fatality crash on the interstate? Barely register on breathalyzer or not at all. Had 10 beers and pissed 20 times. Beer breath is real. Boss ran the liquor store and gave me the idea.

Show up with a gallon jug of alchahol free cowboy koolaid. Drink on it until some drunk begs to steal it.

>okay anon but be careful

Like i said ive quit a few times for a few months and years. Not sure how to make it stick long term but short term i got you OP!

Bout to buy me and my nephew some RC cars to pimp out.

Stay busy.

And give me a holler and come shitpost on telegram if u wants

>> No.1746560

>>1745034
I liked wood working - work with hands, good progress in a short amount of time. you aren't asking, but NA made a real difference for me. Almost 9 years sober/clean.

>> No.1746640

>>1745034

I got you brother. >>>1746621

>> No.1746641

>>1745034
I also have a small telegram shitposting group if you are interested. Not trying to shill. It's small and mostly just a handful of us with notifications off bullshitting. But it does help keep you occupied instead of bored wanting booze

>> No.1746655

forklift is kinda tedious. your lifting humongous ass shit off the top shelf and the rack starts shaking some. kek

>> No.1746669

2 years sober here. it helps to keep your hands busy for sure. I took about a month of struggling and going through the motions before i was finally able to look at my life and see for myself just how much better my life was without booze in it.

It still grabs me on occasion, i'll be outside in nice weather and i'll feel like inner compulsion to go grab a beer- but by now it's pretty easy to say no.

Alcohol is a parasite: it latches onto us and after we free ourselves from it there is a tendency to feel empty and lost. That is normal and it's going to take time for the good parts of your life to populate all that space that alcoholism made for itself. A big part of your sobriety will be about taking it one day at a time so that you can make it the big picture.

>> No.1747095

>>1745034
I'm ready to get off the ride. 5 beers every night is killing myself and my wallet.
Made it down to 10 beers a few times so far this year.

>> No.1747545

>>1747095
>5
Trying to taper down to 4-6 so when my wife gives birth again, I'm not sneaking out for 'fresh air' and pounding a 6pack

>> No.1747551

>>1745390
This is absolutely untrue. It depends on the person. I personally know people who used to have a drinking problem and have just changed and rarely drink but can. I know other people who can’t drink at all.

>> No.1747559

well someone proved how easy it is to get through a lock with a credit card. so i guess i need deadbolts. get him to show me how he did that

>> No.1747560

>>1747559
he also mentioned something about freezing one with spray

>> No.1747572

>>1747545
>sneaking away to get drunk

You probably need AA or rehab in your life ASAP, I've never seen someone get better from that stage of alcoholism without professional help. Usually it ends with them dying in their 50s after alienating everyone around them.

>> No.1747575

>>1745310
It's pretty scary realizing that you will go the rest of your life without booze but if you really sit back and analyze where that fear is actually coming from; you'll realize that it is just your addiction talking. Your friends don't care whether or not you drink with them and you'll share the same great memories regardless. There is nothing meaningful in your life that requires alcohol in your body.

Alcoholism functions a lot like an allergy. It's a combination of environmental factors and genetic ones. You were probably born an alcoholic and never really had a chance.

>>1745390
Generally this is the best advice to follow. An alcoholic almost always will return to their worst point pretty quickly. We all know "That guy" Who somehow got his shit together and can drink responsibly, but there really is no knowing how his brain is wired or what the true levels of his addiction really were.

>> No.1747579

>>1747572
A 6 pack to help sleep on a rock hard, loud hospital couch at night isn't great, but isn't rock bottom either.
I do recognize my party attitude has morphed over a decade into an high tolerance addiction and excuse to help me sleep, and I can't have my kids growing up seeing that, so my intent is to taper and get in better health to play with them in the future. IE replace alcohol for exercise as my sleep crutch.
I've got a 2 month supply of Naltrexone which kicks ass ... as long as I choose to take it. One day at a time.
Sipping light beer from 5-11 every night isn't the worst of the bunch, but it's time to stop spending $12 every day to kill myself.
Didn't know there were so many /diy/ former al/ck/s

>> No.1747599

>>1747579
it sounds like you're already getting some professional help, which is a good thing. But your bargaining logic is worrisome. A lot of maintenance drunks need alcohol to sleep at night, but it's very rare to meet an alcoholic that isn't self medicating for something.

Maintenance drinking is the worst, because it's those who might actually die from sobriety.

>> No.1747617

>>1747599
There's a gif floating around somewhere here of an Asian drunk whose miserable b/c he drinks and blames his environment. He stops drinking and magically his life improves.
That's me. I hated school, so I drank. I'm socially awkward and introverted, so I drank. I had no career, so I drank. I hate my job and coworkers ...
I finally have some reason to put down the bottle - I want to throw my kids around and go camping, and lugging around beer won't work. Having beer cans everywhere won't work. They're 1 and -1 month, so they don't know yet.
My goal/dream is to taper over the next few days or weeks and then become a teetotaler.
Haven't gone to a professional, just ordered online. I feel I'm grounded and lucid enough to understand I don't get any joy from drinking anymore and it's time to end.
Really wasn't expecting to be this introspective on /diy/, just ranted a bit, but thanks.

>> No.1747623

>>1747572
Sounds fantastic!

*grabs whiskey

>> No.1747627

>>1747579
>blue collar tradey life on this board.

Booze hounds since everything is always sore and you're tired after working overtime your whole life

>> No.1747825

>>1746560
Same here, but instead of wood working I took up lapidary.
over 3 years.

>> No.1747994

>>1747617
One of the hardest parts of recovering and sobriety is being open and earnest with the world around you about your drinking problem. However, that earnestness does become a powerful component to successfully breaking away from alcohol and staying away from it for good.

Right now you're highly motivated to go sober, but that motivation is a finite resource. Use that motivation to reach out to professionals. AA is free and will provide you the tools to find even more sources of motivation and coping mechanisms that can make that sobriety a reality for you.

Booze is a lot like a devil in your ear, Right now you're planning a lot of things and that devil on your shoulder is pretty quiet, because you're still feeding him what he wants. When you start seriously tapering down you're going to begin to see what that demon is really capable of and those first couple months without feeding him at all will be even worse.

I don't mean to scare you by any of this, but it's a hard thing to face alone. Without therapy I probably would have never stayed sober myself.

>> No.1748076

>>1747994
I don't like what you're saying, but recognize your point and agree with you. My downfall has always been that devil.
>You deserve a day!
>Well, a six pack a night is a long way from 15!
Last night I realized I'm dropping $4,400/yr on beer. I've been at it for 13 years, so I've drank away a brand new Mercedes. I'm otherwise a penny pincher and was disgusted enough to only have 5.
I'll explore some support resources. No need to fight this alone.

>> No.1748360

>>1747825
Orly? Care to share some work you've done?

>> No.1748578
File: 2.50 MB, 4032x3024, 9DE1C9B0-A5AF-47CE-8B5A-B8E638102DF2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The liberals in my city want me to pay $12 to dispose of my tree so I just cut it up instead. What’s the best way to get rid of the actual wooden stalk? It’s too big to fit in the trash chute and my saw can’t cut through it because the middle is so sappy

>> No.1748585

>>1748578
its a christmas tree just light it up and cook steak over it

>> No.1748710

>>1748578
Seriously? Go pitch it in a highway ditch

>> No.1748731

>>1748578
$12? They're really putting the Jew in Christmas.

>> No.1748741

I just quit too. Well, it's been almost 6 months now. I've tried quitting before. Made it a year on a bet with a friend once. Tried antabuse for a few months, tried naltrexone for a while too, but it fucked with my appetite. This time, my brain just kinda clicked. I'm over making an ass of myself and not remembering shit. I did it this time with no drugs, legal or illegal. Did go see a councilor. She made me list things I could replace my time with. Not into exercise per se, but got into indoor rock climbing with my kid, now we spend more time together, its healthy, kinda, and fun. Also started spending more time making stuff with my 3d printer for friends and for my quadcopters. I had that stuff when I drank, but they collected a lot more dust then. Also, my job will pay for me to go back to school so I'm starting up college again. I bought a new truck with the money I'm saving because I mostly drank at the bar and it ran me around $500 a month, so I put "bar tab" on the license plate to remind myself what not drinking can do for me. Firs decent vehicle I've ever owned, and I couldnt have had it if I hadn't quit.
Honestly, just thinking about drinking now makes me cringe hard.. Hard to believe after how many years I spent drinking fairly hard. 38 now, drank regularly since about 18. And was drinking half a liter of whiskey on days I had to work in the morning to a liter or more on weekends while washing it down with a 6 to 12 pack.

>> No.1749076

>>1745427
Damn I want to get an aquarium going now
Is it good to start with a small tank or should I get something medium/big so I have room to grow

>> No.1749097

>>1745034
The only thing that has ever worked for a true addict to heart, me. Is physical workout. Hardcore motherfucking workout. I clocked 3 h days when i was getting sober.

High af again now tough.

GL!

>> No.1749098

>>1749097
im a pill, morphine, heroin addict. And i am built as hell. i have recently adopted the sloppy walk. Its inevetebale.

Doctors kinda laugh when they see my built body.

>> No.1749279

>>1749076
Well, I'm a redneck and always way to ambitious. I had a 42,000 gallon tank planned and a natural gas well heated fish farm before i even bought a tank.

You might want opinions from better fishkeepers but if i were to do it again i would still hit up petco or petsmart for the $1 per gallon tank sales. You can't build them for that price and they go to 29 gallon. However. Unless that is your only source of live plants the internet is about 25% the cost of they overpriced bullshit.

Do a lot of research and decide what you really want.

Personally i want few water changes and learned that any tree can be a bonsai tree so i am automatically watering several citrus trees in my house while snow is on the ground in Oklahoma. Therefore taking about 40% of water out of the tanks daily and replacing it with good clean water.

It really depends on your goals. I wanted to raise oddball shit bobody else can grow and sell/give them away for shits and gigs. Neon Tetras are cheap, hardy, and an eye catcher.

I already have 40 tanks planned out.

I am an autistic fuck.

Maybe just get a used tank or a 10 gallon and learn about filtration, water parameters, etc...

I went in for a 5 gallon tank and a breeding pair of neons. None of that is appropriate so I've been studying.

I WISH YOU LUCK! acornstu@gmail.com if you want to bullshit more about it latter bro

>> No.1749652

>>1745038
picos are for plebs

>t. integrator

>> No.1749718
File: 41 KB, 640x554, 1577798605221.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1745034
build wooden funiture, tables, benches, also chests and boxes for your tools.
shelving, racks, also try electornics, very time consuming if you want to design and build a new circuit, test it out, make the pcb and solder it all up, put it in a casing/housing.
also lift. as in weights.