[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 82 KB, 268x265, aCatClassy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17423 No.17423 [Reply] [Original]

I think we should quickly establish what exactly falls under "DIY" (sorry for the meta thread, but best to handle this now instead of a shit storm erupting some time soon)

would developing/producing your own music be considered "DIY"? especially since "indie" music initially meant abiding the DIY ethic

should creating costumes/attire be ok in here, along with starter photographers and origami makers?

and programming?

or should all those remain in their respective boards (/mu/, /cgl/, /po/, /g/, etc)?

I mean, sure, it's ok for topics to be relevant to both boards (like threads of album cover being parodied by Adventure Time characters... for /co/ and /mu/)
But I'm pretty sure moot implied this is for hands-on, crafts, build cool shit kind of projects (i.e. home improvements, building ramps n shit, etc)

clarity would be nice for me, and I'm sure for most.
same with "shop lifting isn't DIY; it's a skill, sure, but it isn't DIY relevant, gtfo"

>> No.17431

bump cuz i'm gay

>> No.17446

yeeeeeeeeah, ima go with
>hands-on, crafts, build cool shit kind of projects (i.e. home improvements, building ramps n shit, etc)

>> No.17449

It doesn't fucking matter, no one makes rules like this, shit will just happen one way or the other and you're gonna have to deal with it.

>> No.17463

>>17449
well the "WHY WAS I BANNED FOR SHOP LIFTING THREAD WTF" was an obvious beginning of more shit to come on understanding what this board is for

so I do find it relevant

>> No.17500

making rules for what "diy" means will only lead to fights. shit posters will be called out on it.
I like to think that this board won't be too categorized so it can be a general creativity dumping ground.

>> No.17513

>>17423
I would say unless you are outlining and bragging about a project you are working on or have just finished and it falls under 1 category, computers, cars, papercraft, ect. then it needs to be in its respective forum. Request threads especially where there is a relevent thread already in progress on the same page need to go away. If you're building a robot and you're halfway done and stuck, then start a thread, if you have no experience with something and you start a request thread about how to do it, we all know you are never going to do it.

>> No.17526

>>17423
It isn't up to users what this board is about, it's up to the moderators and ultimately to Moot.

>> No.17546

>>17500
fair enough, or it might wind up "NOT DIY ENOUGH, FUCK OFF" kind of shit, which would be awful

>> No.17630

>>17423
I think in the end, what will separate this board from those others will be tutorials and the personal experiences of those that actually "DIY."

While /mu/ would have indie music, and maybe the odd thread about people sharing their own indie music, this board will provide space for techniques for doing so.
While /cgl/ will show off peoples cool costumes and what they've worn in the past, we'll have threads about teaching knitting/chainmail/blacksmithing, and the personal experiences of those that are learning or have mastered the arts.

>> No.17646

>>17423
this board should only be for hardware crafting imo. i for instance like to craft with me hands like a man. you artsy-fartsy faggot can go post your shit where it belongs, like /mu/, /cgl/, /po/, /g/, etc