[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 190 KB, 790x403, 7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
173481 No.173481 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/ anyone know where or how i could get the plans or instructions on how to do this for long term usage?

>> No.173487

>>173481
> how to do this for long term usage?

You mean how to make what looks like a log and bough temporary shelter? Or, do you mean any type of shelter in general that will last a far longer time, because a log and bough shelter won't last very long at all.

Better yet, tell us what your needs are. Do you need to live in this part time or is it only for storing things? How much do you wish to put into storage and does it need to be walk in? Will you be storing food, raw vegetables, rustable items, etc?

>> No.173490

use it for short periods of time over a long lifespan of the shelter. (IE not just rough cut logs and dirt over the top of it.) and perhaps a stove and or fireplace for light and warmth. Ideally it could support someone for a period of a week of living. but it doesn't have to be concealed. lol

>> No.173493

Oh and cheap, super cheap.

>> No.173501

>>173490
It sounds like a simple and cheap hunter's cabin is what you want. Those usually have enough room for 2 people sleeping in a bunk bed, a tiny tent/camp stove, and a place to stow gear.

Check out those small storage sheds that people store their riding lawn mowers in. Those things are the size it sounds like you need. So, if you take a look at their plans you can make up your own with whatever materials you want to use. You can use logs/poles, metal roof, etc and still have it be way cheaper then the store bought ones.

Take a look at these,

http://www.todaysplans.net/free-storage-shed-plans.html

Then think about your needs and how those can relate to them.

>Oh and cheap, super cheap.

That depends entirely on where you live and what materials you have access to. You could build a stone foundation and cob shelter with a nice metal overhanging roof for very VERY cheap and it is only limited by your imagination. So long as the foundation is good and the roof overhangs enough, cob will be perfect even in rainy England and colder US states.

>> No.173527

http://greenupgrader.com/2156/rammed-earth-home-building-with-compressed-dirt/

Or take a page from the Swedes/Vikings and build your house partially into the ground/a hill covering the roof with dirt and grass. It's a great insulator for both warm and cold. Fireplaces are expected, and it can be done on a grand scale. Just remember to make the roof a comfortable height.
http://www.viahouse.com/2010/11/traditional-icelandic-house-beautiful-green-building/
It can be built a lot more simply, like a cabin, but I still suggest you google Icelandic traditional houses.

>> No.173543

>>173490

You want a cabin to scale for X number of people.

>> No.173547

>>173527
>rammed-earth

Oh god. Use a machine, like a tamper, to do that part trust me.

>> No.173833

>>173481
Hey op this looks exactly like what you're looking for.
http://www.amazon.com/Shelters-Shacks-Shanties-Wilderness-Architecture/dp/0486437477/ref=wl_it_dp_o_
npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=IM8JX004WGZLA&colid=46J6URNXPAH

>> No.173841
File: 145 KB, 717x538, root cellar.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sepp Holzer made this in one day. be sure to vent your system somehow.

>> No.173850

>>173841
Is this the one that has a pipe in the bottom and one coming out the roof to provide passive airflow?

>> No.173848

More of a shelter for one, with a bed and small table and fireplace. My tentative plan is to use rough cut lumber (from my property) and use mulch bed liner plastic to make a barrier between the earth covering the structure and the lumber. And build a small fireplace out of bricks also brick the floor. i just want to know if this would last for many years or if it would rot. i live in the northern part of the midwest, but im in a river valley so moisture can be a problem.

>> No.173964

>>173848

If you don't use treated lumber, it will eventually rot. Especially if it's touching moisture holding soil. Though it is possible to treat the lumber yourself by coating it in roofing tar. WARNING: This is technically illegal. Roofing tar can leach chemicals into your ground water. I wouldn't do it, but It's a cheap option.

And check out pond liners instead of mulch barrier. Much better at moisture blocking. Thicker and less easily torn if something shifts or scrapes. And be prepared to lay a couple of layers down under your floor. You don't want moisture to get wicked up your walls from a moist floor.

>> No.173968

I would skip "plastic tarplin" type material entirely... Go find a tear down site or go to some scrapyard/dump type place and tell them what your looking for.
Some flexible but hard plastic like Chemlite trailer roofing, or that corragated translucent fiberglass stuff people used all the time in the early 70s for porch roofs and such. Will hold up much better. Make sure you put it in at an angle to the flat surface, and if you have to overlap for coverage, the higher sheets overlap the lower ones, just like roof shingles. Will be waterproof and quite long lasting. (shielding it from UV will actually increase it's lifespan). What you are probably going to end up with in there is insect problems... I suggest making a way to 'close off' the chimney/vent so you can smoke the hell out of it if your gone for awhile and then come back, cause its gonna be full of god knows what sorta vermin.

>> No.174114

OP here

Its more the moisture problem, id rather not use treated lumber and i definitely want it to be sod covered. so is there anything i can do to keep it dry? the pond liner is a brilliant idea! With that i can get great moisture barrier. I've got a fireplace all drawn up as well. So that should help but i don't know much about venting for the fireplace or the shelter while it is unoccupied so any help will be appreciated.

Thank you for all the support!

>> No.174118

>>174114
When it is not occupied you will need max venting. This will help keep it drier than keeping it closed up. Moisture problems will occur no matter what you do, if you are going a cheap route and covering the structure in any way with soil. There is no way to prevent this unless you keep a fire in it 24/7 to drive out the moisture. Air entering the structure will condensate on the cooler walls causing moisture problems.

Any place, not in an arid desert that is not constantly kept warm will have moisture problems. This is a sad fact of life. My boss is a lawyer who buys up tons of land. He has tons of houses that are not occupied. He makes sure to keep the good ones fully heated so that the don't start rotting. The ones that are not heated that no one buys or rents start molding up in no time at all. This area is a Zone 5b temperate area and this occurs year round.

>> No.174119

>implying plans for a shitty shanty hovel exist

OP you bumble fuck get a clue, how hard is it to cover an outhouse in dirt

>> No.174610

>>174119

>implying plans for a shitty shanty hovel exist
>
>OP you bumble fuck get a clue, how hard is it to cover an outhouse in dirt

Id love to cover an outhouse in dirt and call it good. I just want it to last more than 1 year so i came looking at /diy/ for solutions.

>> No.174613

im getting kicked out of my house tomorrow night, there's a little field/forest near my house but i have literally no money, what should I do? (i have a small piece of rain proof material that would cover my body and that's it.)

>> No.174615

>>174613
Crash at a friend's.

>> No.174625

>>174119
http://www.mediafire.com/?6b9y9ogykxgbzyc
here you go.

>> No.174828

>The common Icelandic turf house would have a large foundation made of flat stones; upon this was built a wooden frame which would hold the load of the turf. The turf would then be fitted around the frame in blocks often with a second layer, or in the more fashionable herringbone style. The only external wood would be the doorway which would often be decorative; the doorway would lead in to the hall which would commonly have a great fire. Another interesting aspect of the Icelandic turf house was the introduction of attached toilets, which were communal, and the act of going to the attached toilet was often done in large groups. The floor of a turf house could be covered with wood, stone or earth depending on the purpose of the building. They contain grass on their roofs.