[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 312 KB, 1024x684, old-house.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1730180 No.1730180 [Reply] [Original]

My mother has an old two story house that she doesn't live anymore that is just rotting away (no one lived in it for over 8 years. The house is one of the first few houses in the town from what I found in a book about the town. It has been added on over the years and the last add-on (from what I all know about the house) was the garage with a year written into the cement from the 1950s. The house is beyond repair and if it was to be fixed up it would cost too much. I'm thinking about ripping it down and salvage as much as I can. Mostly any good wood and windows. I'm looking on advice on how to go on with this project. What tools do I need besides a hammer and a saw? Also the house is in a small town that I don't need permits or any paper work to do almost anything. Also the house is still solid has fuck. This isn't a stick and plywood shack.

What I figured out so far and found out.
Get the power disconnected and power line removed.
Get the water turned off.
The house doesn't have a gas line or propane.
My brother ripped out all the copper and took stuff he wanted. He wanted to burn down the house.
Going to need a dumpster for tossing shit out. The house still has a lot of shit from my sister and mom.
Popcorn ceiling, what do I do to get rid of this shit.
After I get the house ripped down the basement will still be there. How do I deal with this? Knock the walls down and bury it?

Pic is not the house in question but the condition it is in.

>> No.1730211

How much you want for it?

>> No.1730215

>>1730180
This is 10 levels of stupid.
If your family doesn't want the house, sell it, there's always somebody who'll buy it, fix it, and either rent it or flip it.

Hells Bells, I reno'd a house that had gone vacant for 16 years and flipped it.

Just... to intentionally destroy an asset. Boggles the mind.

>> No.1730223

>>1730180
fix it and stop being a lazy fat fuck. some people get slapped in the face with opportunity and just don't see it.

>> No.1730229

>Also the house is still solid has fuck

Why not repair it? Or is the village in the middle of bum fuck nowhere?

>> No.1730247

>house is beyond repair
>It's also solid as fuck
Make up your mind

>> No.1730255
File: 67 KB, 930x580, 5b22b6e56ac41.image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1730180
>My brother ripped out all the copper and took stuff he wanted
How much meth did he get for it?

>> No.1730275

>>1730180
You’ll probably need a demolition permit.

>> No.1730341

>>1730180
>my brother wanted to burn down the house. Yeah that is called arson, why not contact the local authorities, and ask if the fire dept. would want to practice on it. My local fire dept. has gotten rid of several old derelict abandoned homes this way.

>> No.1730615

>>1730341
He wants it reduced to ash not fire damaged and extinguished.

>> No.1730661

>>1730215
>>1730223
Hole in the roof. Foundation is made up of lime stone, cinder blocks, and bricks. Also a room in the basement was never completed its just a slope of dirt. Plumbing and electrical is a mix and match of all different types. Also can't sell the house due to it having another house that my mother lives in and a shed. We own a bit of land in the town. If I had the money I would fix the house up for myself because I really liked it and spent a good amount of my time growing up in it.

>>1730229
Town (well, its a village) in bum fuck nowhere Nebraska

>>1730247
Falling apart, but not moving such as uneven or bouncy floors, sticking windows or doors, bowed walls, etc.

>>1730255
None

>>1730275
Not in this town.

>> No.1731273

>>1730615
The ones in my town were reduced to ash after they were done practicing on it.

>> No.1731333

>>1730180
Gently beat the frame around the windows out like you said. If you want to do the extra effort beat into the sides and get the window weights. Windows make a good greenhouse or small aquariums. Butcher any old copper lines you can find for scrap. Take those porch pillars if they are any good. Best holes in every single wall and look for money. Attic also. Any heat or air units salvage. Maybe hang on wall heaters, hot water tank, etc...

Take all solid wood doors out.

Maybe rip all the wiring out for copper.

Rip the sink out and build a table to clean fish.

Power wash the shitter and silicone the bottom for automatic dog water bowl.

That's all i got

>> No.1731336

>>1730223
>opportunity
>fix it
>no gas line or meter or propane
>needs a roof
>needs new plumbing probably
>needs rewired

Anon he may as wall bulldoze it and put up a modular.

You ever tackled shit like this?

>> No.1731402

>>1730615
This. Just salavage what you can on your own then dontate it to a fire department. You don't get a tax write off but you'd have an easier clean up to start over, in theory

>> No.1732027

>>1731333
>Pic is not the house in question but the condition it is in.
>My brother ripped out all the copper and took stuff he wanted.

Most of the doors got damaged from fucktard sister slamming them had. This is what pissed me off the most is the house getting damaged by my family. Dad getting mad and punching walls, sister kicking and slamming shit, brother that thinks he is a craftsmen but is a crapsmen (he got lazy and used cardboard to patch up a wall in the bathroom upstairs that he ripped out.

I haven't been in the house since moving back to this state but last time I was at my mothers place I did peek inside from the windows and my brother ripped a lot of shit out.

>> No.1732033

>>1731336
>needs a roof
>needs new plumbing probably
>needs rewired

It does need a new roof. All the plumbing needs to be ripped out (what is left over from what my brother ripped out) and replaced. The foundation is shit and needs to be replaced. It's a mix of bricks, cinder blocks, and limestone with a room that was never completed and has a sloping dirt wall. The wiring is shit and mixed of knob and tube, old ass wiring, and newer wiring(80s/90s when the last people rewired some shit).

At first I was thinking of gutting and turning the house into a shed but finding all different problems with it and that idea I said fuck it and just want to tear it down and salvage what I can.

>> No.1732748

>>1730180
>Also the house is still solid has fuck
This is what stuck out to me. If it's solid, it's worth keeping.

>> No.1732751

>>1730215
amen jeezus !

>> No.1732756

>>1730180
Hire some teenagers or Mexicans.
Don't forget to salvage wire and pipes.
Vintage tubs and sinks can be resold as well.

>> No.1732758

>>1730180
>Also the house is still solid has fuck. This isn't a stick and plywood shack.
Why the teardown if it's solid? Seems like idiocy to get rid of something solid to get a bunch of wood and a few windows to rot in your yard for a few years, then pay somebody to haul it away.

You may be better off selling as is to someone to fix or flip.

I call bullshit on the "small town" that doesn't require paperwork or permits. You may get away without them, but I doubt very much that the township doesn't require them.

Whatevs, tho. The whole concept is preposterous and silly.

>> No.1732759

>>1732033
You know contractor's will come out and give you free estimates to reno it. These are your assests I'm assuming when your mother passes. It could be a good house, on top of the fact that they don't build houses like that anymore and would do anything to get into one and fix it.

>> No.1734385

>>1730180
save all the wood you can. that old growth timber is worth $$$. Dismantle it. Don't wreck it.

>> No.1735324

I'm a contractor. My guys and I just reno'd a 1600 sq ft house, 2 story victorian. We salvaged the exterior frame and sheathing, the floor systems, and the second floor interior walls. Everything else was replaced. $250K all in and about 6 months work for 4 guys.

>> No.1735326

>>1735324
Labor cost? Materials cost?

>> No.1735788

OP here. I am not going to rebuild the house or sell it. I would love to but it's not an option. So stop your bitching and crying. Anyway here is why.

1. Its on property that has a second house (that my mother lives in) and a shed.
2. I don't have that kind of money to rebuild it.
3. Even if I did rebuild it, when my mother passes away I would have to fight to keep it from my brother and sister.
4. I live in a different town so working on fixing it up won't ever happen due to working 6 days a week plus time to drive there and back.

>> No.1735822

>>1735788
Rent a backhoe, knock it the fuck down and make a nice burn pile. Get burn permit beforehand. Dispose of problem. You're really doing this for giggles and backhoes are giggly.

Why are you even bothering if you won't get the property? Invest your time in something intelligent. Everyone telling you to save shit doesn't live in BFE where it's worthless, and scrap metal is down and will stay low.

>> No.1735844

>>1732033
Plumbing takes a day or 2 repipe. Roof 2 weekends. Stfu

>> No.1735990

>>1735822
Exactly, if it's in a hick town in the middle of freaking nowhere. People don't want to live there, hell they are trying to leave. You can't even hardly give property away, much less fix it up and sale it.

>> No.1735999

>>1735990
The town the house is in has a population less then 50. Mostly boomers and a child molester. Most of the blocks are empty lots.

>> No.1736000 [DELETED] 

>>1735822
I want the wood for myself for a project later on.

>> No.1736011

>>1734385
>>1735822
A lot of people in the current town I live in love stuff made from old wood and I want to save it for myself for doing woodworking projects.

>>1735844
Foundation is mostly shit. Plus the house needs to be rewire. Windows need to be replaced. Plumbing isn't going to be a day or two job as all of it needs to be replaced along with the sewer line and water line going into the house and all the plumbing fixtures are gone due to my brother taking most of the shit. Years ago when I lived there I redid the shower. After I moved out my brother took it all out for scrap.

>>1735990
My aunt and uncle have a house in town that they are having a hard time selling. My uncle completely redid the whole house, built a two stall garage and later on built a shed on the lot. But since it is a small town no one wants to live there really.

Nebraska is full of small town that younger people don't want to live in. Most of them move to the bigger cities (ie:Omaha, Lincoln, Kearney, etc). The town I live in right now has a population a little over 12,000 and this town is having a hard time growing. They are running campaigns to get businesses to come in and people to move in. A company has built a lot of new houses that most of them just have been sitting since spring/summer. And some person built a few "tiny houses" that were for rent but are now selling off because they wanted too much and still want too much for what they are selling them for.

>> No.1736543

>>1730180
OP, contact your local Fire department and ask if they'd want to burn it down for training. They'll probably ask for you to get it checked for asbestos (that popcorn ceiling has gotta go) but aside from that they'd love to burn it down for you. That's what my department has done in the past, we burned down 2 old abandoned houses for training and are going to burn down a barn this next year.

>> No.1736546

>>1730341
it's not arson if it's not insured.

>> No.1736614

>>1730180
make friends and party in it