[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 37 KB, 300x244, HID-Lighting-300x244.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1729835 No.1729835 [Reply] [Original]

I have a fish tank set up for growing a garden tower that is 6' tall. I'm having trouble finding a light set up that works well, doesn't produce tons of heat, and won't turn my pad purple.

Are there LED set ups that cast white light but still cover all the wave lengths necessary for plant growth?

If not, what would you recommend? I was told to avoid fluorescent because it can leach nutrients from your skin, and this set up is in my kitchen, which is also my living room because small apartment.

>pic related is HID and what I'm leaning towards but am still on the fence about

>> No.1729990

>>1729835
>avoid fluorescent because it can leach nutrients from your skin
I was with it until you believed this retardation. kill yourself pothead.

>> No.1730145

>>1729990
So in other words:
>I have no input
>I'm not intelligent enough to make a legitimate post
>I need social interaction because my life is empty

Got it. Thanks for the bump at least!

>> No.1730155

>>1729835
>Are there LED set ups that cast white light but still cover all the wave lengths necessary for plant growth?
no

>> No.1730166

>>1730155
So these full spectrums with white light are no good?
https://www.amazon.com/Monios-L-Spectrum-Replacement-Integrated-Hydroponics/dp/B07QCT6Q4T/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1
or
https://www.amazon.com/Durolux-DLED8048W-320W-Grow-Light/dp/B07LBHTDKY/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

I see more expensive brands out there, especially commercial equipment, but I don't want to pay $1,500 for a single 4 square foot cast.

>> No.1730179

>>1729835
>Are there LED set ups that cast white light but still cover all the wave lengths necessary for plant growth?

Yes. Look for Samsung LM561C or LM301B fixtures for small, spread sources of lights or Cree, Bridgelux or Citizen COB fixtures/DIY for single, intense sources of light. Pay attention to the spectrum of the LED, if it's aquatics you're doing you probably want a higher colour temperature.

>> No.1730182

>>1730166
no

>> No.1730228

>>1730179
I have a good aquatic light, no problem. I'll look into those lights and maybe make something myself. Thanks.

>> No.1730295

You want to use the pink/purple full spectrum LEDs for growing plants. If it bothers you then build an enclosure that's reflective on the inside and enjoy the extra plant growth.

>> No.1730298

>>1729835
>I was told to avoid fluorescent because it can leach nutrients from your skin
complete horseshit
>>1729835
the high end LED horticultural LED's have switched over to full spectrum white LED's but the rest of the market is slow to catch up. you would be better off buying some high quality cree LED's and making your own light fixture or just buy a suitably sized florescent T5 High Output fixture.

t. professional indoor horticulturist.

>> No.1730343

>>1729835

yeah the market s moving on to flat smasung-chipped boards that produce full spectrum sunlight-like light.

Look up Quantum Boards.

>> No.1730345
File: 12 KB, 293x172, images (8).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1729835
LEDs are good for what they are, but they are waaaaaay overpriced for what you get. Get a 400W metal hallide or a 315W ceramic metal hallide. I've never had ceramic metal hallide before but I've heard nothing but good things from people I know who've used them. Pic related, check that spectrum. It's the closest thing to the sun you can get from artificial light and they are the least hot running HID lights in existence.

>> No.1730412

>>1730345
I own nine ceramic metal halides. You don’t want one in your kitchen.

>> No.1730443

>>1730412
That's a good point. I didnt see that part of the post. I wouldn't put any kind of HID lights in my kitchen either. LED or T5 would probably be better for that.

>> No.1730617

>>1730298
>>1730343
Will do, thanks.

>>1730443
>>1730412
>>1730345
Understood.

>> No.1731813 [DELETED] 

>>1729835
The fuck are you going on about? Who told you that, dumbass?

>> No.1732633

>>1730145
he gave input. He informed you that fluorescent lamps do not in fact "leach nutrients from your skin," which was something you only knew about from hearsay anyway.

>> No.1732912
File: 100 KB, 1283x653, how to grow at home.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1729835
>I have a fish tank set up for growing a garden
Oh, for fuck's sake... pic related.
Yes. White light IS all visible wavelengths, unless it's multiwhite, which is actually just RGB, which is still enough R and B to get you where you need to be with enough G to not see everything in blurple.
I've never heard that. I'm pretty sure whoever told you that was a pothead that never questions bad information. If you're growing vegetables or houseplants, I'd recommend cool white broad spectrum COB LED for veg and warm white broad spectrum COB LED for fruit. Or just go warm the whole way if you don't want to buy two sets of lights. If you're *ahem* not growing vegetables or houseplants, then I'd recommend MH and HPS, since the increased yield is worth the extra cost in electricity.

>>1730295
>You want to use the pink/purple full spectrum LEDs for growing plants
No. No one has ever wanted to do that. Aside from being ugly as fuck, it makes it more difficult to recognize nutrient problems in the plants, leaving serious issues to go unresolved for much longer than they would if the garden could see the plants in normal light.

>>1730298
>making your own light
That's what I did, 6x50W for a 2'x4' area; saved me a ton of money, but I've worked with electric stuff before.
>t. professional indoor horticulturist.
I rarely say this, but I actually almost believe you.

>> No.1732936

Aquaponicist here,

Aquaponics is not a meme, it's a way to produce FISH. So you get protein and greens. Small scale systems are for demonstration/experimentation, but big ones can produce serious amounts of diverse food very efficiently.

LED all the way for lighting. Yes pricier up front but far more efficient and cooler running. Everything else is basically obsolete at this point. Sometimes you read/hear that LEDs are inferior but that's mostly from old sources before LEDs got better. Pay the up front cost and get LEDs. Even the shitty cheap ones are good enough for stuff like lettuce or herbs.

For what it's worth, indoor growing food is kind of ridiculous altogether. I still do it, but converting electricity into lettuce feels really silly sometimes. I need to get my system running on wind/solar.

As for the blue/purple ("blurple") LEDs vs. full spectrum, I'm actually not sure what to think about that. On paper the blurples should be more efficient because those really are the wavelengths plants use and the rest really is wasted. So they're what I use. But my buddy who runs a light company thinks says white light is better and total number of photons per area is more important. Not sure what to think. But for what it's worth the color has never been a problem, when checking my plants or showing them to people I just use a regular lamp/light bulb on them.

AMA about fish, water chemistry, etc.

>> No.1732955

>>1732936
>indoor growing food is kind of ridiculous altogether.
This is pretty situational. I live in an area where electricity is cheap and food is expensive. I've been having some trouble getting spinach going, though tossing the seeded coir plugs into the fridge at night seems to have gotten me a much higher germination rate. If I had all my spinach going on a daily rotation as is the intention, I'm looking at $0.25/plant for the plugs, ferts, and electricity. If I'm yielding ~100g/plant, a 'box' of spinach would cost $1 instead of the usual $5. Sweet cherry tomatoes seem to also be in that 'cheaper to grow than buy' category, but obviously not everything would; you'd have to be an idiot to try and grow wheat indoors, since it would cost $51,000 to grow enough wheat for one person for one year, based on some numbers from Google and what I pay for lighting /sqft.

>> No.1733225

>>1729835
Also see: >>>/out/1653451

>> No.1733241

>>1732912
>I rarely say this, but I actually almost believe you.
Just a fancy way to say I grow weed for a living. 11 years growing, 7 of them as my full time source of income.

>> No.1733450

>>1732955

I was thinking more in terms of carbon footprint than dollars. At this point I'm at a scale where this is more of a hobby than a business so I'm not thinking a whole lot about ROI. But using fossil fuel powered electricity to put light on plants bugs me, especially on sunny days. Of course this is all dependent on personal goals, crops, available resources, scale of operation, electricity source, etc. etc. Ideally I'd like to have my growbeds in a small greenhouse with solar or wind for supplemental power. I'm also very interested GSHP for keeping water warm in winter.

Also, dude, I feel your pain. Why THE FUCK is spinach so hard to grow? I get decent germination rates but then the sprouts die after giving me false hope. Someone told me spinach likes a very specific light/dark cycle, might need to try that.

lul thanks for doing the math on indoor wheat. that's funny. I've thought about trying rice as an experiment. It likes to grow in water and was the first crop to be cultivated somewhat aquaponically with fish in the paddies.

>> No.1733720

>>1729835
I grow aquatic plants with generic warm white Chinese floodlights from Amazon, they were like 6 bucks a piece.

Modern research has shown that warm white is pretty much all you need unless you're trying to do some very specialized stuff.

>> No.1733798

>>1733720
"Warm light' is a completely meaningless term.

>> No.1733815

>>1729990
AHAHA!

>> No.1733821

>>1732936
I'm going to use an aquarium to grow lemon and lime trees and just keep them trimmed up in the house over winter.

It'll be funny as shit when i plant them in the front yard right on the highway in Kansas every summer.

>> No.1733855

>>1733798
Warm white generally refers to white light with a colour temperature between 2000k and 3800k
The generic floods I use are 3500k

Also I said "warm white" not "warm light". learn to fucking read before you post

>> No.1733911

>>1729835
Samsung has new white led designed for plant growth lm301h. Kingbrite on alibaba is selling these boards with those diodes.

>> No.1733913

>>1733911
I should add get the 4000k version because it has a good portion of both red and blue spectrums. So if you are wanting to flower something it'll have enough for both stages of growth

>> No.1734936

>>1733913
can you use it to grow weed

>> No.1734939

>>1734936
I doubt they bothered to add UV and far red spectrum diodes to those boardsso while they could grow weed they would definitly be suboptimal compared to the actual horticultural LED’s.

>> No.1735076 [DELETED] 
File: 485 KB, 496x654, Screenshot_20191215-113544.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hey so this is actually 100 percent relevant to my 6 weeks of research. So it's all about wattage, and spectrums. I bought 100w CFLs and my growth was good. Nothing too crazy, but it seemed slow but that was probably because I was still learning light schedules and positions. Now, the blurples are SUPPOSED to be snake oil, but hear me out. I didn't have money for a 400w (I believe 300w is minimum for the square footage of a "1 plant grow space because apparently it's more about wattage per square foot. I'm not gonna pretend to fully understand all this but my pic related should be proof enough.

So instead of buying a 400w anything, I bought a 4 pack of CFL bulbs you can screw into a socket, and bought 4 blank lamps from Home Depot. They grew ok, but for shits and gigs, I'd throw in the blurples LED with the hope that, the CFL was be the "quantity" and the blurple was 65w(from Walmart) but it had a wider spectrum. The plants EASILY started growing 20 percent faster, then 30 once I added the reflective material.

AMA man I'm balls deep. Just starting understanding nutrient add ons. Cause lights good, but without soil... Anyways ama

>> No.1735121

>>1733450
Maybe try malabar spinach. It's not related, but it has similar taste and better nutrition.

>> No.1735370

>>1729835
>avoid fluorescent because it can leach nutrients from your skin
It turns out this isn't complete BS. Some cheap CFLs output a decent amount of UV that isn't great for your skin. Wtf.

...for lights, fuck around until you get tired of spending money and then buy GE led white full spectrum grow lights. They are bright, plants like them, and don't get stupid hot.