[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 9 KB, 251x460, 31A9AFB666L._AC_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1717983 No.1717983 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/ I have an old Craftsman garage door opener that works fine when I press the button on the wall to open or close it but when I attempt to close it using pic related, or the keypad on the exterior of the garage, it will not close.
The weird thing is, it opens fine using the clicker or the keypad. I have made sure the sensors are not blocked by anything. I have googled the hell out of this and the only thing I found was some forum where a woman said her LED light bulb in the opener was causing the signal to fuck up?? I switched to a non-led and I am still getting the same problem.
Any ideas?

>> No.1718180

>>1717983

check the wiring on the opener.. maybe the signal to reverse the motor isnt getting to it due to a broken wire or loose wire. could be a number of things but I would check that first

>> No.1718424

>>1717983
100% something in the safety circuit. One of the beam sensors or wiring.

>> No.1718451

>>1717983
Change the battery

>> No.1718461

Something wrong on the ancient circuit board. Just get a newer one.

>> No.1718703

>>1717983
When door is open, metal door is in between receiver and transmitter. First try changing batteries, in case transmitter is just weak. If this does not fix it, try using clicker from inside garage on a ladder, see if it works then. If so, receiver side has changed. Either your antenna has been shaken into odd position, broken, come loose or the receiver is failing.

>> No.1720731

>>1718703
Thanks. I have changed the batteries in the clicker and the keypad opener and same thing still happening. I will look at the wiring.

>> No.1722017

bamp

>> No.1722093

>>1718180
This. Mine had shitty screw terminals that came loose. Similar issue to OP.

>> No.1722121

>>1720731
did standing on a ladder near the opener with the clicker work?

>> No.1722235

>>1717983
The door safety receiver and transmitter needs to be refocus and make sure the lens a clean.

>> No.1722262

>>1717983
lay down so youre looking directly at the garage door then scoot up so that your chin just clears the rubber seal. then slowly close the door. check the alignment and safety beams

>> No.1722604

>>1722121
No, it did not. I am going to check the wiring now.

>>1722262
I know its not the safety beams because it wouldnt close with the button on the wall. Also the lightbulb flashes and the opener makes a clicking sound when that is the issue.

>> No.1722618
File: 2.00 MB, 1280x1280, IMG_20191124_163207.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Okay, I checked the wiring and it looked fine. Then I tried to reprogram the remote and now it will neither close or open remotely!!

What is this gray loose wire in pic related? Is this what picks up the signal from the clicker?

>> No.1722636

Do you know what frequency it operates on? Maybe the receiver doesn't emit the signal the door waits for to close! These remotes usually work using 433Mhz, for which you could buy a receiver and an arduino (both like 10$ in total) and listen to what signal the original control emits and what signal your remote emits.

>> No.1722648

>>1722636
I do not know the frequency but it was working fine for 2 years until just recently. Anyway, I did some more digging and realized I should check the wiring on the safety beam devices. I took off the old electrical tape on this shitty wiring job and tightened it up and now it appears to be working properly again. No idea why they balled up all this slack instead of getting rid of it. I'm going to hack it up soon.

>> No.1722734

>>1722618
that loose wire is the antenna.
Double check you tried programming it right, and that it didn't get out of sinc off if it's a rolling code.
just in case, rewording instructions
1. press and keep holding clicker button
2. press and hold button on opener until the light flashes
3. let go of buttons.

Make sure you didn't let off the clicker button while pressing the openers button, since it says that will erase them all.

Does your clicker have 1 button or 2?

If it's older style, one button, take it apart and see if there's a tuning coil. I had one that the remote had drifted out of tuning to frequency as it aged, but had to use radio scanner to monitor and tune. SDR dongle is useful as well. You could monitor the transmission to make sure it's on frequency and actually working.

>> No.1722736

>>1722734
>>1722648
nevermind ignore, skipped reading last post.
Makes sense though, it can open even if the beams aren't working right, and only checks them for safety when it closes.

>> No.1723952

I had this problem. There were two issues, one that only showed up on sunny days in the summer.

Problem the first: the wires for the sensors were twisted to the wires coming back to the opener. I wasn’t the one who installed the opener, it was there when I bought the house. Even though the little indicator lights on the sensors suggested everything was a-ok, the signal must have been weak due to a shitty connection because once i cut, stripped, and connected the wires with butt splicers it started working.

Problem the second: everything was working great until one sunny day while leaving my house, the door refused to go down again. I’ll spare the details on how I figured this out, but the solution was to swap the transmitter and receiver. One of those sensors isn’t actually a sensor, it produces a beam and the other one reads it. Problem was the beam was getting swamped out by the sunlight. The door would work remotely at night, but not during the day.

Funny enough, i couldn’t program the keypad until after i sorted out the above. Not sure why or if im drawing a cause and effect relationship that doesn’t really exist, but there you go.

Hope this helps.

>> No.1725722
File: 51 KB, 1000x1000, ryobi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1718461
I had the same problem with a house I bought. It was an old screw driven craftsman. I fixed that problem by resoldering some things on the circuit board. Then after about a month the opener would only go up and down if I pressed held the button. So I bought pic related I give it a 5/10 because all its really capable of doing is going up and down with my remote controls. The app is buggy as fuck I had it working for about a month then when I had company over I told them I'd let them in through the garage before I got home and the fucking app wouldn't connect so I felt like an ass making them wait. So i cant rely on the app to remote open and close. Also, the indoor keypad is completely useless the two double A batteries it uses are located behind the open/close button so when you try to open or close the fucking door it pops the batteries out. So I soldiered them and it worked until it got cold then my garage door wouldn't open more then a foot or two. So I tried using the car remote and the fucker opened. Come to find out the keypad opener doesn't send a good signal or some shit so the door didnt get the right feed back. Found that out after I spend $80 having a guy come torsion the springs. But it is quiet does open and close with the car remotes and only cost $250.

>> No.1725724

>>1717983
This happened to my Mom's door, we just ended up replacing the entire opener, time is worth more than trying to troubleshoot the damn wiring.

>> No.1726805

>>1717983
throw it away