[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 2.30 MB, 2400x1600, editors-choice-collage.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1714335 No.1714335 [Reply] [Original]

So in stores and on the interwebs you have many, many different tool manufacturers:
>DeWalt
>Makita
>Milwaukee
>Ryobi
>Kobalt
>Craftsman
>B&D
>Ridgid
>Hilti

Now what I want to know is which one produces the best-engineered/most reliable tools. Obviously you face differing prices, accessories, availability, tool variety, voltage/torque/amperage/etc., and other factors. In your experience, what would you say the best tool manufacturer is for the typical /diy/er, someone who might use it a few times a week, wants something that isn't going to break and halt ones progress, and has the accessories/power to get the job done?
How about purchasing used tools on craigslist and Ebay? I would imagine the batteries might be depleted to an extent, and the tools will obviously possess some external wear and chips, but brushless motors should be somewhat fine after use so long as they aren't contaminated or overheated/physically shocked(Dropped).

>> No.1714348

>>1714335
I like Makita
Battery powered is for cucks

>> No.1714386

>>1714348
>AARP member

>>1714335
Milwaukee M12/M18

>> No.1714391

>>1714335
>Now what I want to know is which one produces the best-engineered/most reliable tools.
None, all modern tools are same shit. Nylon everywhere, too much brainboxery, etc.

>> No.1714395

>>1714335
There is no "best", there is only a shit-list. Shit-list is B&D, Craftsman, Ridgid, Ryobi. The latter 3 are still okay for light duty or if you are on a very low budget.

If you're in Europe, literally every brand is premium-priced except Makita, and Makita is one of the good brands, therefore never buy anything other than Makita. If you're a burger, DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee is all the same shit. Hilti is perhaps the best from a technical standpoint, but overpriced. These 4 all make roughly the same tools with very little variance in build quality and performance.
Choosing between the 12V and 18V range is down to how much you need to carry shit around. Obviously 12V is weaker, but can still do a lot and is significantly lighter. On the other hand, if you want to tap threads in steel, if you want to drill thick steel, if you want to cut down boards with a circ saw or trees with a recip/chainsaw, 18V is the way to go. Generally 18V is the more "universal" system, pretty much all tools have 18V versions, and significantly fewer (though still many) have 12V versions.

>> No.1714415

>>1714395
>Rigid is garbage
Hmm. I use rigid 18V lineup and never had a problem. They work excellent for my household DIY and woodworking projects. A little less expensive than Milwaukee and you’ve got that nice warranty. To each their own. OP, just go buy whatever’s on sale, get a feel for the tool, and if it shits out on you or feels cheap, move up to the next best brand. No need to start out at top unless you and setting big ass lag bolts for 8 hours a day.

>> No.1714428

>>1714335
Haven't had dewalt let me down. Dropped our beat to shit mixbitch in some deep cement, washed it off, let it dry, still running like a champ. My main cordless 20v run hot all day no problem. The old 18v cordless still rockin it. Brushless impact sucks compared to 20v brushed impact but no biggie.

All modern makita, milwaukee, dewalt are pretty similar in performance I've experienced. Dewalt has an adapter for their old 18v lineup that lets you use modern batteries, and you can find the 18v contractor sets online barely used by old boomer homeowners for super cheap. Can load your kit with a mix of new and old and run on the new batteries.

>> No.1714436

>>1714428
>Dewalt has an adapter for their old 18v
Shame they didn't do this with the older XRP 12v system. Went to Milwaukee and haven't looked back.

>> No.1714565

>>1714436
Dewalt only recently started caring about their 12v tool line system, there was a point where they hadnt made a new tool in like 5 years and should have just discontinued the whole platform.

>> No.1714571

Our sub only uses Milwaukee 18v cordless. Our GC (the like three people they actually have on site, anyways) use a mix of Makita drill motors and DeWalts.

>> No.1714609
File: 176 KB, 586x500, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm looking for a rotary tool for use on general projects. Is Dremel they way to go? They're pretty much THE rotary tool, being nigh synonymous with the term. Are there other brands I should consider?

>> No.1714619

>>1714609
They're pretty much THE overpriced rotary tool, you can consider literally any other brand.

>> No.1714622

>>1714619
Okay. All I see are some weird brands I don't recognize. Do you have one you'd recommend?

>> No.1714629

>>1714622
You need to post where you are looking, burger or euro, or post the brands. That said, it ultimately doesn't really matter. The only real difference between the lot is usually stuff like switch positioning and general casing design, which you're not going to get a feel for when ordering online anyway. Just grab some cheap one with variable speed.

>> No.1714630

>>1714609
I had the cheapest ass dremel knock off, a black decker dremel thing. All are good enough.
It is just an electric motor in plastic case after all, and electric motor either works or doesn't

>> No.1714631

>>1714629
Cool cool

>> No.1714689

>>1714395
>Hilti is perhaps the best from a technical standpoint, but overpriced.
Poorfag cope.

>> No.1714695

>>1714335
Hilti is such a weird company.
Their tools are overrated, their service is not.
If you arent a contractor who needs their service, their tools are a waste. But its an interesting business model

>make good tools
>have good warranty, have easy repairs for out of warranty, have easy upgrades, have a tool truck to do all of that in person at the job site
>charge triple the price for your tools to pay for the warranty and service up front
>this inflated price creates an allure of "premium" and "luxury"

Before you know it you have people claiming Hilti is the end all be all for tools, just because of this reputation.
Though their tools functionwise are all par for the course.
Hell they were slow slow slow to get Brushless tools.

>> No.1714743
File: 132 KB, 640x480, 5241D0B2-E9ED-4053-866A-A0CBA9CAFB58.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1714415
>nice warranty
Genuinely curious, have you tried to warranty anything yet? With how difficult the registration is, I can only imagine what it will take to get a new battery.

Also newer Ridgid is solid. I see lots of techs with Ridgid impacts, not a bad choice if they don’t need tons of power tools and are willing to trade a good retail price for a lacking lineup.

>>1714428
>>1714436
Home Depot has that adapter kit with two batteries on sale for $99 right now I believe. I’m on the fence about grabbing one of those to run the ol’ SDS and circ saw. But I heard the adapters are a pain in the ass to get out of the tools, like they want you to buy an adapter for each tool and keep it in there permanently.

>>1714609
The WEN gets shilled a lot around here.

>> No.1714746

>>1714695
Milwaukee should start the same service plan. They could get a whole lot of shops away from the tool truck if that Fuel plus 5 years of service is cheaper than the Snappy.

Also, I have seen Milwaukee pickup trucks driving around before. Saw a guy at Home Depot, but I think they might be reps to visit the retail stores rather than repair guys.

>> No.1714749
File: 38 KB, 525x300, slsh_04.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

tough tools

>> No.1714817

>>1714743
No I havent needed to use the warranty thank god. I have a rigid 18V impact and I get good use outta it.

>> No.1714897

>>1714335

I would rank them like this:
>Milwaukee, Bosch (blue).
>DeWalt, Makita
>Rigid, Bosch (green)
>Porter Cable (gray)
>Porter Cable (black), Ryobi, Kobalt, Craftsman
>B&D, Skil (but not Skilsaw).

Some of these do some things better than others.
Hilti is mostly known for specialty impact tools, at least when I was in construction. They make great roto hammers.

>> No.1714899

>>1714746
Milwaukee belongs to Home Depot now. The BORG.
They don't want you to fix your tools. They want you to replace them.

>> No.1714913

>>1714897
>Skilsaw
Skil used to be BOSCH thing, those were basically green BOSCH

>> No.1714914

>>1714913
The actual HD77 and Mag77 worm drive saws are quality tools.

>> No.1714931

>>1714914
>>1714913
Shit, their shit is confusing.
I only now realized that skill != skillsaw,

>> No.1714945

>>1714743
There have been many reports of people getting the runaround when they try to warranty a ridgid tool/battery. Or they tell you to fuck off and you're pretty much forced to buy a new tool, hopefully from a different brand. *** has a video explaining it pretty well.

>> No.1714948

Milwaukee, snap-on, and IR got the best

>> No.1714960

>>1714931
It was. Skil saws. They then appropriated the name for Chinese junk and ruined the reputation.
Now they sell "Skilsaw" as the actual decent circular saws.

It's a little convoluted

>> No.1714962

>>1714695
This is why I'm grateful the contractor I work for leases their drills from Hilti and I don't pay out of pocket unless I lose/break it. Get an upgrade every 2 years and I can beat the fuck out of it instead of my personal power tools.

>> No.1714963

>>1714335
>>1714395
What's the general opinion on Festool? I see their stuff heavily promoted in the woodworking world in Australia. Stuff seems good but very expensive.

>> No.1714968

>>1714335
I'm at a union shop and we exclusively use Milwaukee. I worked at a less equipped union shop and they transitioned from Dewalt's 18V NiCd to Milwaukee. We're electricians.

Milwaukee has powerful tools; often ranked the most powerful. They create trade specific tools for us. They also have a huge marketing campaign. They also cost the most not named Hilti.

Tools on CL and flea market are stolen. Majority of times. Same with pawn shops. If they don't come with a charger, then absolutely 100% stolen.

Milwaukee is part of techtronic, a HK/German-Canadian run company. They make pro-sumer grade Ridgid Power Tools. Actual Ridgid pipe tools are made by Emerson Electric, and they're tough shit you buy for life. In other parts of the world they sell their items as AEG. They also own Ryobi.

Having used Milwaukee, I've got nothing against them. They're good. Platform is deep, and they release a shit load of tools a year.

>> No.1714970

>>1714630
Not quite. I have the B&D wiZard. They used a $.10 carbon film potentiometer in the speed controller circuit which burnt out after a few hours of non-continuous use. Ripped out their little toy triac circuit attempt and replaced it with a light dimmer switch I got at goodwill for a buck (which was designed by actual engineers who know how to rate components). You are right about the motor though, I've been using it with my fix ever since... Like 20 years probably.

>> No.1714972

>>1714963
It’s good if your doing custom furniture or cabinetry... not worth it for regular contractory stuff.

>> No.1714976

>>1714335
DIYers have a few options.

Single use
Harbor Freight - Chicago Electric
Black and Decker

Cheap:
Harbor Freight - Bauer
Home Depot - Ryobi
Lowes - Craftsman
Online - Skil

Pro-sumer
Harbor Freight - Hercules
Home Depot - Ridgid
Lowes - Kobalt
"Brushed" Milwaukees/Dewalts combo kits
Atomic Dewalts
12 Volt (which are more lightweight, less powerful)
Bosch (in N.America)

Pro
XR Dewalts
Fuel Milwaukee
Makita Brushless
Hitachi / Metabo HPT
18 Volt, 20 Volt; Brushless
Bosch Blue (in Europe)

Heavy Duty, which almost qualifies it as machinery
36V. 40 Volt, etc
Hilti

---
If you're going to pick a cordless family, think of the tool platform, cost of tool and cost of batteries. The big three with a comprehensive lineup will be Dewalt, Milwaukee, and Makita. Dewalt and Milwaukee are big in N. America. Makita is big in Europe, but Europe also has Bosch. Hitachi fits in somewhere, but its lineup reveals it's a much larger company than imagined, just not in N. America.
---

Kobalt is owned by Chervon. They're a Chinese company which makes Skil, Ego outdoor tools, Devon tools in Asia. A budget brand, but otherwise well reviewed. I am biased because I bought into Kobalt. AFAIK I know their tools are brushless, their batteries cheap, and I can honor my warranty with the store and not by having to ship it far away. I didn't pick Ridgid because ... Kobalt at that time had better performers, but a smaller lineup.

>> No.1714978

>>1714395
>Obviously 12V is weaker
Doesn't have to be. It was a tactic to get off the universal low voltage power standard (which is 12 volts) and cut some more corners (use thinner copper wire) and dupe the public who don't understand motors and current/voltage/power relationships... All the see is a bigger number and assume it's better. In North America, they even lie about the voltage (I think the EU has laws that say the voltage has to be the actual voltage).

As said before, avoid cordless if you can. I'm old and I'm still using corded stuff (e.g. Makita) that I inherited from my dad. If you do need cordless, try and get 12v. I gutted the battery packs and can hook into any 12v source. Nowadays batteries probably have DRM in them so you can't do that like ink cartridges, lol. I have a huge bin of dead non-12v cordless brands.

>> No.1714979

>>1714972
Thanks mate, pretty much what I expected.

>> No.1714984

>>1714978
I found an old B&D Scrugun on the side of the road. Buried in the dirt, chuck rusted solid. The body is aluminum so it was okay. I tore it apart, cleaned it, dropped the chuck in some rust cleaner and replaced the cord. Low and behold it fired up. Sounded like jet engine cause the bearings were fucked but replacements were like $10. I've only had to do drywall work a few times since I found it but that chuck makes it easy.

>> No.1714989

>>1714963
I think they were the first in with that brushless horseshit. Now, of course, probably even the Chinese and Indian low-end brands are brushless -- so the're nothing but a meme now. Let's face it... Those will be stolen first, so you never get to experience the alleged "legendary" quality and reliability.

>> No.1714993

>>1714945
I can attest to that. "Lifetime warranty" Lol, just try it after the disappearing ink receipt, and not registering it quick enough, or bringing it back a *second* time.

The value of the warranty is like gift cards and coupons... 2% redemption rate.

A trend recently is to try and make shit products look better by offering good (sounding) warranties. I think Nissan here was doing it with their cars, like giving out a10 yr warranty, and they get some sales and defer the problem a bit.

Just try and buy something reasonably good quality so you don't have to burn your time administrating warranties.

>> No.1715006

>>1714963
They have the Domino and the 2nd best tracksaw on the market, everything else is a meme if you don't do high end stuff that need their dust collection system for working inside houses.

>> No.1715009

>>DeWalt
Owned by Stanley, these are work horses and that's it, they will last 95% of users their entire life, but if you're willing to shell that much out for a tool you use once a year max, you'll end up stupidly getting more every 5-10 years

If you actually use these like they are designed for, they'll last 6-18 months
>>Makita
Japanese equal to DeWalt as far as quality goes, sometimes better, sometimes worse, but you'll never get anything actually bad from them
>>Milwaukee
Used to be tried and true, but quality has suffered since they were taken over by TTI, but compared to other TTI stuff they actually aren't bad, they come out to general tier, but for a 100% Chinese tool, it's practically luxury tier
>>Ryobi
Home Depot brand. Originally meant as a cheap alternative to the other tools, TTI has tried to make these stand out through some pretty unique tools, but don't expect anything to be above "I once built a shelf" tier tools
>>Kobalt
Lowe's brand, no better quality than robo
Ryobi but looks sturdy and holds a very high placebo tier price for what it is
>>Craftsman
Used to be legendary and unfortunately the brand name still is to dumb boomers. Bought out by Stanley, previously run into the ground hard by Sears, the only thing good about it still is the classic looks and the brand name
>>B&D
Stanley sub shit tier, this will be Craftsman's fate soon
>>Ridgid
This depends. Ridgid is one of the weird ones out because it's owned by a non tool company (Emerson) so some stuff is just whatever stuff, but some stuff has no right being as nice as it is, always do your research
>>Hilti
This doesn't belong on this list. Hilti is a very high tier and meant for true craftsmen

>> No.1715015
File: 33 KB, 650x650, sly phant 2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1714989
>>1715006
Thanks for the info. Here's a custom made 'phant for you.

>> No.1715020

>>1714978
>Doesn't have to be
>get off the universal low voltage power standard (which is 12 volts)
>cut some more corners (use thinner copper wire)
>current/voltage/power relationships
Somewhere all of that is reflected in the product. Yes, they could make an 800W drill that runs on 12V, but it'd be significantly heavier and significantly more expensive and still need the same massive batteries. No reason not to go for higher voltage. Meanwhile the entire market for 12V tools is to have something lightweight that only needs 3 18650s.

>> No.1715083

>>1714945
>>1714993
Of course they’re going to fuck with you if you never registered it. I purposely got all my batteries in kits so I could register them for the LSA and I’m wondering what happens if I try to get a new one when the batteries get old and only have like 1/3 capacity yet.

A good majority of the bad reviews come from people who expect the warranty exchange to be like a Husky wrench. I lost a little confidence when I tried to register my 3rd tool. I filled out all the stuff online, uploaded my receipt, it was still pending after 3-4 weeks. Sent an email to their support, no response. Sent another email, they tell me to call warranty and registration, sit on hold with them for 45min, talk to the lady, she says she needs to send me an email and I reply with a copy of the receipt because the one I uploaded online is for my records only, not theirs. Finally a week or two later it gets approved... like 8 weeks after I first submitted it.

>> No.1715094

@1715009
>

>> No.1715216

>>1714746
the Milwaukee trucks at Home Depot are just the TTI Sales Reps, they are there to set up displays for events and make sure the Hardware section is laid out properly by the merchandising people.

>> No.1715234
File: 1.26 MB, 4000x2317, IMG_20191113_193248.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What should i get next

>> No.1715246

>>1715234
A lathe or drill press. Check craigslist and see if anyone is selling an old shopsmith multitool which does both, and more.

>> No.1715247

>>1715246
I was thinking more of a multicutter, but a drill press would be handy.

>> No.1715249

>>1714335
Makita/Hilti/Matebo(Hitachi) are your best choices for professional or industrial work. Yeah, milwaukee's got a nice lineup, but I've had to warrantee probably 1 in 5 at my plant in the first year of use. And good luck getting legacy(read: not a current product) repaired by them. Makita gives Milwaukee a good run for it's money in the lineup, and they'll service pretty much any tool they've ever made.
I've rarely had to send Hiltis or Hitachis in for warrantee work, and we user them piru damn hard.

>> No.1715383
File: 342 KB, 640x1107, 07C55AE3-9122-4FCA-81E6-1617F0F71042.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1715216
That’s what I figured, I saw one of them moving his shit around on the displays. I see a lot of Hilti vans around and thought maybe it was like that until I ran into the guy at Home Depot.

Owo pic related is tempting, that first one looks sweet.

>> No.1715387
File: 22 KB, 466x466, 00BE5F4A-1786-48A9-B37D-D36556EEDD33.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1715234
Do they sell a hybrid fan like the other brands? Those things are dank, I’m thinking about some of the lighting options tool, Ridgid sells this folding light mat.

7-1/4” circular saw, grinder, or multitool are probably next on my list. Ridgid has (had?) this Jobmax platform that also fits the Ryobi attachments, can use the 18V, 12V, or air tool base (I think a 120v version too), and you can get an oscillating tool or they used to have a ratchet attachment but I think a lot of it is discontinued and they gave up on the line.

>> No.1715405

>>1714335
Makita is my go to.
Though have used Milwaukee and Hilti, both are good.

Recommendation for purchasing timeline:
> 1. Makita
> 2. Milwaukee
> 3. Hilti

Makita and Milwaukee are interchangeable. Hilti is for high rollers.

>> No.1715477

>>1715020
> significantly heavier

You know who's interested in things like that? The drone community. We disagree. Not many motors go up to 18 volts. 12 volts is not unheard of, but at the higher end. Many run on 3.6 volts. Yes, they have some fat-ass wire in the windings, but less turns. More power-to-weight ratio than a drill. Try re-assembling your drill components to get it to fly.

Power tool designers seem pretty ignorant (In addition to being lazy and/or stupid) of motor/battery advances in the last 10 to 15 years or so.

The 'tards even invented a 60v (yes, *sixty* volt) CORDLESS TABLE SAW.... oh... my sides... that can't be real can it?

>> No.1715481

>>1714749
Includes all standard calculator functions.

>> No.1715482

Does anyone have any experience with the 18v Ridgid Cordless Sawzall? I asked my gf to get me one for xmas since I already have ridgid tools & batteries, but I've only ever used milwaukee and dewalts sawzalls.

>> No.1715483

>>1715246
I'm sure Duhh-walt is working on a cordless lathe. I'd wait for that to come out... put it on your xmas list now! Tool only. Batteries sold separately.

>> No.1715486

>>1715006
2nd best? Surprising. Whose is #1?

>> No.1715490

does home depot still have that massive sale on various ryobi tool sets. one had 2 small batteries, 2 big batteries, sawzal, wood cutter and two drills

i need it for the skatepark ramp building thingy in the desert i am doing again this year

>last year i show up with almost no tools and luckily some guy camped there had a bike trailer full of a bunch of batteries, solar panels, power tools and loud 100w ?i think? speakers he could play full 34/7... and a little house. he wont be there this year becuase he got kicked out for going crazy

>> No.1715493

>>1715486
Probably Mafell, they have some pretty neat stuff, specially for timber framing, but they make Festool prices seems reasonable.

>> No.1715495
File: 262 KB, 670x318, wat-tf-is-cas.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1715493
>Mafell

whoa! So let me get this straight... someone came up with the idea to make battery packs *standard* OMFG...

>> No.1715512

how hard is it to build a toolset from used pawnshop shit? like finding tools that all share the same battery?

for the slabcity skateprk. ill trade someone weed to charge my batterys

>> No.1715516

>>1715490
>>1715512
Well first of all do you know how to use those tools without getting yourself hurt? do you know what tools you'll need to build skateramps (im assuming you guys arent making a bunch of concrete ramps/bowls/hubbas, so it's all gonna be carpentry and woodwork)? E.g. a cordless circular saw wont last long for that much wood butchering unless you have some beefy batteries, and charging them will take a while, so you better have a lot of weed to trade for the time it takes to charge even a 4ah battery.

honestly you'd be well served investing in a decent-ish gas powered generator and some el cheapo hf tools; sounds like you dont plan to have much use for these tools after your skateplank festival.

>> No.1715525

it would be nice to have decent tools, but i dont have the money to spend on a new set of quality stuff. i do have the time to hunt for new tools, but not the knowledge.

ive worked some construction for weeks at a time. im kinda familiar with the tools. and ill be with people who know how to use them.

I dont need to spend lots of power making perfect cuts, just need to hodgepodge some wooden scraps together.

>> No.1715526

>>1715525
Drop $200 on this el cheapo kit from walmart. Sawzall & Circular saw to chop wood, and a "drill/driver" to screw yer screws in. Get a tape measure and a speed square and you might be able to get something done. I'd highly suggest buying new sawzall + circular saw blades, though. May god have mercy on your soul.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/PORTER-CABLE-20-Volt-Max-Lithium-Ion-4-Tool-Combo-Kit-PCCK616L4/46718350

>> No.1715535

>>1714335
The best 12v tools belong to milwaukee, shit they are probably the only ones that actually put any effort into their 12v line.

The best sanders belong to makita.

The best jobsite table saws belong to dewalt and grizzly.

Hilti, snap-on, and festool is overpriced shit for faggots and retards. Fuck festool and their jewish marketing tactics especially.

The best grinders belong to metabo.

The best 18v+ cordless tools, routers, and miter saws belong to makita, milwaukee, dewalt, and bosch in no particular order.

The best reciprocating saws belong to milwaukee.

The best jigsaws belong to bosch.

Circular saws and drills, you can go with anyone, they are perfected tools.

>> No.1715540

>>1715535
>The best jigsaws belong to bosch.
I think Bosch *Invented* the jigsaw, so that makes sense I guess.

>> No.1715568

Bosch tools are the best IMO. Cordless and corded. They are quality.

>> No.1715620

>>1715483
>>>1715525
>If you don’t need a super extensive 200 tool lineup and will be set with the usual 5-6 tools like a drill and sawzall and grinder, Ridgid and Kobalt will give you some really good stuff for the money.
>If you have time, wait for the sales. Home Depot and Lowe’s will have sales through the holidays and Home Depot has those daily flash sales and once every week or two you can find some great deals on power tools.
>>>1715512
>95% of pawnshop power tool prices don’t seem to be any better than buying new when they’re on sale.
>>>1715482
>I have the Octane, got it for xmas last year. I haven’t even used it with the Octane batteries (which supposedly boost the power) but with regular 4.0 packs it rips compared to my older DeWalt XRP.

>> No.1715627

>>1715387
I live in cold climate, so don't really need a fan.

>> No.1715637

I would say don't go cheap on your tool set. There will be some good deals on name brand tools coming up on black Friday. Check the Lowe's and menards and home depot ads.

Also stick with one brand and battery type if you are going cordless. Its a pain to have 3-4 different chargers to mess with.

Would go with Bosch- dewalt-milwakee. Those 3 are the best available for Americans IMO.

>> No.1715645
File: 36 KB, 464x606, 4CBECA36-81FD-4126-9807-3CC3A6FACD59.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1715627

>> No.1716480

I'm gonna shill for Hitachi/Metabo HPT, because it doesn't seem to be popular in NA even though I've found their tools to be solid as fuck (though premium pricing). Their new Multi Volt stuff is pretty neat too. They don't have all the bells and whistles of Milwauke and the like but I find the build quality to be better. Just no nonsense solid tools.

>> No.1716585

>>1716480
Well hopefully their cordless stuff is better than their corded tools. The build quality on their corded drills and grinders and saws is terrible.

I have D13VF which is an 80$ drill, not even their 30$ shit. It functionwise has worked fine, but its build materials and overall quality blows. Just like looking at the Miter Saws and other shit on the shelf at the store. Its cheaper than the other brands for a reason.

>> No.1716586

>>1715383
The M12 screwdriver is fucking great. Its not flashy so nobody talks about it, but its surprisingly good for its intended purpose.
It has a VERY light and sensitive clutch, the clutch is smooth when it slips, the tool itself has low RPMs which makes it feel smooth and controllable.

If the lowest setting on your drill/driver clutch will strip out or ruin whatever you are screwing into, this is what you would use.
Its not made for driving wood screws, but it has its place. The best part is, people hate them for some reason. You can buy them on ebay for pretty cheap bare tool all day long.

>> No.1716743

If you cheap out on tools just be careful with them. They should still do the same job but have a weaker plastic case, also the coils in the motor might be more prone to burning out but I would recommend them just don't fuck them up & you'll be as happy with a $30-60 tool as the $200 one.
Milwaukee & makita are considered high quality around here.

>> No.1716765
File: 319 KB, 1615x999, tools.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've never been able to have nice tool and I'm tired of fighting with my shitty $20 drill. What am I supposed to buy?

>> No.1716767

>>1716765
M18 black friday sales.

>> No.1716783

Im an electrician and almost every other electrician ive met has used Milwaukee. I use the m12 line myself and have no regrets but the m18 line will probably give you the most overall versatility. That being said, when you're up on ladders all day, usually working with your hands over your head for extended periods of time, you'll appreciate how lightweight and ergonomic the m12 product line is far more often than you'll wish you had the extra power of the m18.

I've also seen the lesser trades use some real cheapo tools and it's left me convinced that modern power tools can really take a beating. regardless of brand. Quality between brands is minuscule now compared to what they were decades ago.

At the end of the day, if you are burning up your tools then it's got far less to do with the inherent quality of the tool and more to do with how you're using, storing and maintaining the thing.

>I'd post pics but ive sharpied my name and number all over the damn things so that they won't walk out of my tool bags.

>> No.1716976
File: 14 KB, 222x266, 1573340604015.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1716783
My baby-tier Ridgid 5X stuff has kept up with the Milwaukee stuff some of the guys from the shop bring. Drove the fuck outta some of those big thicc 3/8" diameter Hilti lag screws/deck screws to fasten some 3/8" ply to some angle iron.

>> No.1716986

>>1716765
If you do this >>1716767 don’t buy the cheapest $149 M18 starter kit though if you want a good drill. It won’t be much better than a Ryobi. Get a Fuel or DeWalt XR. Unless you’re just looking for something better than a $30 Walmart set, then you will like the cheap M18.

>> No.1717001

We'd all love a shop full of Festool or a worksite filled with Hilti.

The bottom barrel stuff is getting more competitive. It used to be just Harbor Freight. Now it seems Walmart and Menards are trying to cut into the extreme budget tools. Granted most of that stuff is shit, but I've been using a Chicago Electric multitool for three years. I can't even buy half a Fein saw blade for that price. Another time I had a Chicago Electric grinder burn up in my hand under light use. But the fact that you can pick up routers, drills, sawzalls, etc for $20 in a pinch really doesn't give anyone an excuse to not /diy. The tools work. They might not work forever or the best.

Everything else is inbetween. I love tf out of my wormdrive Skillsaw, but the flexvolt Dewalt is very good. Most of Ryobi sucks, but their universal batteries and impact drivers have been really useful. Hitachi and Bostich nail guns consistently perform well. The old monster Milwaukee sawzalls were great. The extra weight and power is crucial if you're getting into some serious demo.

People bagging on Stanley here, but I've mailed my Fat Max tape measure in twice after it wore out (2014, 2018). They've replaced it for free both times. Try to name one other company that will directly replace your tools.

>> No.1717006

>>1714989
Why is everyone so sold on brushless?

I've had maybe three tools actually wear out the brushes. I think it's unlikely these new brushless would have lasted that long.

>> No.1717035

>>1717006
I think it’s probably more worthwhile in saws and shit. They run cooler, right? I was asking about the Ridgid 7-1/4” circ saw and there’s a brushed and brushless that look almost identical, and some anon was saying the difference is huge, the brushed one blows and the brushless is as good as a corded saw.

Also, if you’re going to get a higher end model, it’s going to be brushless if you want the other better features. Like buying a car, you think fog lamps are stupid, but you really want the heated leather seats. But if you want the seats, you have to buy the option package that includes the fog lamps.

You’re right though, the average DIYer probably won’t burn out brushes before something else breaks or he upgrades to a new model.

>> No.1717037

>>1717006
>Why is everyone so sold on brushless?

They are smaller, lighter, more efficient and powerful.
The added battery life and power in a small package is great.

Why wouldnt you want it? The prices are continually going down.

>> No.1717046

>>1716986
Their isnt anything wrong with the low end M18 brushed tools. They are old and outspecced by new stuff, but they arent bad.
The fact that he would be getting a charger and M18 batteries is more important really.

Regardless, most of the Milwaukee deals I see has their compact Brushless Drill Drivers and Impact drivers in them. Ive had them and they are nice tools.

>>1716765
Home Depot has the compact M18 Brushless drill right now for $100 if all you are looking for is a drill.
The black friday deals will most likely include more than one tool and be in the $2-300 ranges.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-1-2-in-Compact-Drill-Driver-with-1-2-0-Ah-Battery-Charger-and-Tool-Bag-2801-21P/305529238

>> No.1717128

Why does everyone here like milwaukee so much? They seem overpriced since they dont really out perform anything.

>> No.1717134

>>1717128
Makita, Milwaukee, and Dewalt are all about the same price and all about the same specs.

>> No.1717138

>>1716986
>>1717134
So I would be fine picking this up at lowes?

>> No.1717139
File: 61 KB, 821x909, tools lowes.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1717138
forgot pic

>> No.1717142

>>1717138
Thats not a bad deal if you are wanting a circular saw
The drill and impact are both good

>> No.1717303

https://slickdeals.net/f/13567093-dewalt-flexvolt-60-volt-max-lithium-ion-cordless-brushless-7-1-4-in-circular-saw-2-batteries-charger-w-bonus-brushless-angle-grinder-329-home-depot-more?src=catpagev2

>> No.1717305

>>1717128
See >>1717134

Milwaukee has the best lineup IMO, especially for mechanic stuff. And their 12V lineup shits on everybody else’s.

>>1717139
>>1717138
Is that a hammer drill or regular one?

The saw might be meh as it’s 6-1/2” brushed, but it all depends what you’re looking to do. If you’re cool with breaking out the corded full size circ saw for the rest of the stuff, go for it.

>> No.1717314

Truth be told each brand can make some good shit and some bad. I was loyal to Milwaukee but they take forever to get tools out that their competitors do. Plus they ran some tools out like a beta program that fucked early adopters up, like a weed wacker, next year a 3 in 1 weed wacker pole saw thing.

I'd pick their drills and saws over the others instantly, giving it up to dewault as second choice. Fuck the rest. Ryobi is more hobby tier than professional

Milwaukee batteries never let me down until getting some bad 9.0 amp. I've heard ryobis are shit, but they got tools mil dont like different Sanders, nailers, fucking glue gun.

Couldn't even get a plumbing hole hawg for years after the wimpy sparky one. They look damn near the same too so fuck em. I used it with good hole saws up to 3.5in, just couldn't use aggressive ones like you could corded.

They're also part of the same family, ryobi rigid and milwaukee.

>> No.1717540

>>1714609
Bought a Chinese knockoff ~18 months ago and have run the shit out of it, and it's been fine. The fit and finish is kind of 8/10 but if it runs, it runs.

>> No.1717544

>>1715526
I have this kit but with an angle grinder instead of the light and it's been great. My use is middle of the road hobbyist (car restoration, general around the house stuff) but not hardcore pro, so your mileage may vary.

>> No.1717550

>>1717303
That looked like a steal when it looked like the angle grinder was the 60V.

>> No.1717863

Is the $100 2801-21p Milwaukee drill kit good? I'm trying to replace my shitty skill drill.

>> No.1717930
File: 2.05 MB, 1300x1089, Dewalt.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1717863
I have been happy with mine. I bought a combo with that drill and the brushless impact driver.
Put up 150' of privacy fence and a porch. Predilling to stop picket splitting, then driving 4" and 2" screws.
It was repeatedly thrown around in the dirt, dropped, running hard in the heat of the day.

It wasnt super hard use, but they still worked great and didnt have any problems.

Cant say the same thing for my Dewalt DWE304 reciprocating saw. I was using that to clear out some really thin 2-4" trunk sized brush and trees and it catastrophically failed half way through. Brand new tool that spit grease out of the gearbox then the motor failed..

I ended up finishing the job with my old 90s Craftsman reciprocating saw that didnt miss a beat.

>> No.1718168

Who makes the best driver and drill bits or whats the best set right now? Should I go with impact rated if I just have a drill?

>> No.1718205
File: 125 KB, 1200x1200, A07CD433-61B1-4CE4-8B20-967D621EFA78.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1718168
Do you want something you can buy at Home Depot or something speshul from the internet?

If Home Depot, I like the Milwaukee Shockwave bits a lot. I keep wanting to grab some of those long Wiha bits because you can get 3” T10 or PH#1 bits with a thin shank that will fit in smaller recessed holes, that would be she speshul Amazon stuff.

Seems like a lot of the better sets seem to be impact rated anyway. Milwaukee sells pic related if you want to go full boss.

>> No.1718269

>>1718168
Dewalt FlexTorq mop up the Milwaukee Shockwave and the Bosch impact bits.
They just hold up better, while being cheaper.

>>1718205
Carbide is a horrible fucking name for impact bits. Carbide is brittle as fuck.

>> No.1718273

>>1718168
I'm a huge fan of Makita Gold bits and Dewalt bits. Makita golds tend to be typically magnetized.

Milwaukee shockwave, in my experience, and you can see on Youtube are fucking horrible.

Impact rated has no meaningfull difference on a drill. Impact rating allows some mild flexing of the bit. A drill simply is stopped by a chuck when resistance occurs.

>> No.1718289

>>1718205
Milwaukee pulled the Matrix Carbine line before it launch and it is now completely discontinued.

it ends up that people didnt really understand what Milwaukee designed them for and were breaking them too easily. they are NOT high torque bits, they are only slightly better than regular shockwave bits in terms of strength durability under load, the difference was that the tip did not degrade as easily under repeated use. when you are driving hundreds of drywall or deck screws a day, having a reduced wear tip will save you time and hassle from bits wearing down and slipping.

thats what they were designed for, but every reviewer and early customer just threw them in their impact driver and drove 5" lag screws until they snapped then bitched that they wernt as invincible as they thought they were.

>> No.1718629

>>1718289
That lifetime guarantee seemed quite optimistic, and I never even saw those things in stores.

>> No.1718643

>>1718629
theres still a few floating around on Ebay if you want a unique collectible.

>> No.1718644

So to summarize entire thread: price is directly related to quality. Who knew?

>> No.1718711
File: 86 KB, 707x600, 338397DE-CBCA-4358-A833-554394D629CB.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1718644
Sometimes price is related to the brand and lineup too. One could argue that Kobalt and Ridgid tools are nicer than similarly priced DeWalt or Milwaukee stuff, but you don’t get access to their giant lineup.

Oh and I was just at Walmart and saw a giant display with these Hart tools... Word is they’re made by TTI.

>> No.1718782

>>1718711
Someone I know was just mentioning new 20 volt ones. What's the appeal?

>> No.1718883

can someone answer the question about the dewalt battery adapter conversion from lithium to 18v

>> No.1718887
File: 1.93 MB, 3724x2096, 970815B3-CCAE-4C82-8879-BB352794C34A.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1718782
It looks like a Ryobi type tool at Walmart. Similar price range too. Better than Hyper Tough for people that don’t care enough to go to Home Depot.

>>1718883
What’s your question?

That thing might still be on sale at Home Depot for $100 with two batteries. I’m still debating if I will ever convert one of mine the eastern yuro way.

>> No.1718897

>>1718711
>One could argue that Kobalt and Ridgid tools are nicer than similarly priced DeWalt or Milwaukee stuff

They could, then you would know to ignore their advice forever after that though

>> No.1719294

>>1718897
Kobalt 24V tools are brushless whereas the comparable Milwaukee/DeWalt priced tools at least those which come in combo kits tend to be brushed motors. The quality top of the line are the XR/Fuel models which often cost much more. Milwaukee's 12V tools are comparable in price, or even lower, but Kobalt tools actually have decent performance. I'm not kidding. Look at youtube, and nearly every other review site.The latest Rigid Octanes are good performances as well, but they were only released a few months ago; I wouldn't have really thought much before them. For a homeowner who isn't looking to become a contractor, the small lineup and affordable set of tools should be enough.

>> No.1719297

Klein makes the best electrical tools and screwdrivers in the world, if you can afford them The exception is fluke multimeters, however. This from a backyard mechanic and a journeyman electrician.

>> No.1719299

>>1719294
Pls trip so we can ignore you.

But that’s exactly what I was going at. Ridgid stepped up their game with the Gen5x and Octane, you can get a brushless 6-mode impact driver and brushless hammer drill with a couple big batteries for like $200 from Ridgid, same thing from Yellow or Red would cost you an extra $50-$100. Kobalt is right there with Ridgid.

But... you save the $50 and your batteries don’t support all the cool professional tradie tools you can get from Red, Yellow, or Teal.

>> No.1719301

>>1718711
Hart is a TTI brand like Empire levels, thats why you see their shit all over Home Depots.

these Hart tools dont look too bad, they are obviously Ryobi 18V tools using what looks like the 20v batteries from TTI's "Wen' tools. i actually think they are kind of interesting, its what the current Ryobi lineup would look like if they hadnt decided to religiously stick with the One+ battery.

they will probobly be around the same quality as Ryobi but you will never see the same widespread selection of tools so they wont cut into the Ryobi sales at Home Depot.

>> No.1719322

>>1719301
Guy in the review video says the batteries look a lot like the Hyper Tough lithium batteries, not sure who makes those HT tools though.

Maybe they will finally get rid of that Bostich set they have sold for years and Walmart will have the $30 HT or the $60 Hart. Surprising they didn’t go with a Stanley brand like bringing in the Craftsman (I could see Lowe’s and whatever is left of Sears objecting to that though).

>> No.1719329

>>1714609
Just get the 100 and a light dimmer switch, all of their other ones are a meme.

>> No.1719861

i was told about an estate sale this saturday that will have lots of tools.
what should i go for? any full toolset that uses the same type of battery?
is battery production discontinued for a lot of the older cordless tools?

anything i should be aware of?

>> No.1719868

>>1719297
Klein screwdrivers are ass, Felo are much better for much cheaper.

>> No.1719874

>>1719861
biggest problem with dead tool lines is that they are dead, period. there wont be any new tools released, you wont be able to walk into a store to buy a new drill or saw if yours dies on you and you'll be lucky to find Chinese knockoffs of old NiCd batteries that replace the ones that die, and they will definitely die.

older tools arnt bad though, stuff from the 80s and early 90s were built to last, i remember when i worked at Home Depot we still had people walking in and buying the Makita 9.6v stick batteries for the tools they bought decades ago and were still running.

if you want to pick up some tools at least find something older from an active tool line. old blue Ryobi One+ 18v tools are compatible with the modern green ones, there are still mountains of 18v XRP Dewalt tools in stores and at pawn shops for cheap and you can get an adapter to run modern Lithium batteries on them.

if you need it id be on the lookout for older hand tools, they will undoubtedly be better made and last longer than anything in stores today.

>> No.1719882

>>1714395
>>1714415
Rigid and ryobi are made in the same factory

>> No.1719918

>>1719861
Listen to this anon >>1719874 if you see some old blue Ryobi (you find that stuff all over old boomers’ garages) you can use the new green batteries on those tools.

Ridgid 18V batteries are compatible pretty far back if you happen upon some of the older NiCd orange tools.

DeWalt still sells batteries for the 18V XRP tools, most of those are pretty solid tools but it would suck to spend $$$ on old battery tech, so you can get the adapters too and use the new Li-Ion batteries.

Corded tools and hand tools... if they’re from a good brand, go for it. You might be able to find parts for lots of the corded tools if they’re not too ancient.

>> No.1719958

>>1714963
Fancy enchanted wood elf tools

>> No.1721469

>>1714335
Whenever China gets equity in tool manufacturers, quality goes to shit. Porter Cable, DeWalt, on and on, quality has plummeted for these brands since China invested in them.

I have DeWalt battery kit that I bought in the 90s that I replace batteries for when they die because they were made before the Chinese bought DeWalt and started making them with plastic gears FFS.

Bosch, Milwaukie, Jet, and Ridgid are still good tools AFAIK. I have no interest in proving to me again that Chinese manufacturers of tools manufacture crap.

>> No.1721470

>>1714395
>Ridgid

Ok, well my Ridgid circle saw has a fucking lifetime warranty and I've owned in commercial use for more than 5 years without any issues at all. For my money, Ridgid has proved itself.

>> No.1721533

>>1717006
>Why is everyone so sold on brushless?

That's a good way to put it — marketing people sold gullible people on the idea. Not everybody though.

With brushes, you put some current into the motor windings and it goes. Simple.
If the brushes ever wear out (which is very rare) you can replace them and you are up and running again.

Not so with brushless. You need specially arranged current controlled by MCUs, software and under-rated mosfets. Not simple.
How do you fix it? You chuck it and buy new ones again. Maybe you'll be so angry that you'll switch brands and replace all your tools and the battery system (without realizing that both of those brands come out of the same factory).

In many cases, the overly complicated electronic systems die far earlier than the brushes ever did, in many cases even before your first battery pack. You don't even know if some internal timer went off and just killed the tool because the company decided it need more of your cash. Like inkjet cartridges that stop working before they're empty.

And yes, to the poor guy that spent all his hard-earned cash on brushless stuff — to him they will definitely *feel* more powerful. Nobody doubts that. Just like the audiophile can hear the difference with his unidirectional oxygen-free erbium doped speaker wires. Science can't measure the difference, but the customers are happy.

>> No.1721650

>>1721533
t. Seething faggot who writes paragraphs so he feels better about his brushed tools. you can do more work per battery with a brushless tool than you can with a brushed one, its literally quantifiable

>> No.1721651
File: 115 KB, 1000x1000, 02335AE5-67C6-4AC9-A36F-C6C7C47B545E.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1721533
Except if you want the higher end tool options these days, you don’t really have the choice from most brands.

There’s a few other pros to brushless as well... they run cooler, less dust and crap from brushes grinding away over time, and more compact. Pic related wouldn’t be possible if it were brushed.

But, we’ll see how they hold up. Your precious brushed tools still have to send all of that current through a variable speed trigger, that’s probably just a likely to fry as the shit in the brushless tools.

>> No.1721652
File: 52 KB, 300x324, 0B98819F-0D0D-4E79-8A6E-16DDA793E8D4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1721650
What is it though, like 10% more efficient?

With that, maybe that 10% gain in efficiency is enough to keep you from overheating the tool or battery pack on a hard job. I was thinking that running a sawzall really hard without a break is probably one of the biggest advantages, and you might get a few more cycles out of your lithium battery packs from not stressing the cells as much.

>> No.1721658

>>1721652
I work with a guy who runs a brushed Makita XDT11 to my brushless XDT14. Maybe he has older batteries but he always goes to the charger before me. Regarding thermals we drill through steel a lot at this job and he's let some smoke out of his brushed drill and mine never gets very hot.

>> No.1721689

>>1721652

More like up to 50% more efficient. Brushless tools are better in every way except manufacturing cost.

>> No.1721706

>>1714749
We have those at work, pretty nice. Although they don't see much abuse.

>> No.1721708

>>1721652
>>1721651
Yes, they run cooler, and more efficient, and with more power.

BUT, they are also physically smaller too.
Who doesnt want a more compact, lighter tool to do the same job?

>>1721533
The amount of cope in this post is unbelievable.

>I want a physically larger, heavier, weaker, hotter, less efficient, less versatile tool with bad battery life
Why would you want that sir?
>because computers bad
>because when a tool is 8 years old and clapped out, I can replace the brushes and still have an old shitty clapped out tool when in reality I should replace it!

Luddites need to burn.

>> No.1721709

>>1721658
Yeah there’s objective upsides, that’s why they’re used.

>>1721689
Really? Where did you pull that number from? I’m not saying they aren’t more efficient, but I thought the marketing BS always claimed like 10% or 20%. And I figured if marketing claimed that, real world would be like 5% or mostly negligible in real world use.

>> No.1721713

>>1721533
>Not so with brushless. You need specially arranged current controlled by MCUs, software and under-rated mosfets. Not simple.

oof
Dont anyone tell him to look at the protection circuits built into every lithium battery pack.

>> No.1721715
File: 428 KB, 1280x958, AADC2951-D56F-4253-8CC4-9388390311C9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1721708
>smaller
That’s what I said here >>1721651

It’s amazing how much power you can get out of a tiny brushless motor.

Anons talking about brushed are the same ones saying air tools are the only option for mechanic work.

>> No.1721728

>>1721658

My experience is that on hard jobs the battery pack always overheats first. I work in a frozen shithole tho. I just switch it out and keep going.

>> No.1721733

HIlti/Metabo are THE BEST
then Makita
then DeWilt
Not sure where Bosch goes, they used to be Hilti tier...

>> No.1721736

Milfuckke used to be best especially corded tools (when made in USA) Now Milfuckke is made in the same taiwan gook factory as ridgid/ryobi. Milfuckke batteries are very good though. I work on several large commercial jobs in SOCAL. Number on cordless on jobsites is dewilt, followed by milfucckkee followed by makita

>> No.1721741

I am very impressed on the Ridgid pulse drive impact. It actually uses a hydraulic pump instead of a hammer anvil impact. It's quiet, plenty powerful and lifetime warranty on batts and Drill. Only Makita makes a competitor and its almost triple the price. Try it, I guarantee you'll like it.

>> No.1721744
File: 77 KB, 720x800, 4-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1721736

>> No.1721753

>>1721736
>>1721469

Milwaukee's owner is a German-Canadian, but besides his direct family, the rest of the company board is Hong Konger, Han Chinese Hong Konger. They hired a former exec from Dewalt who built up the Milwaukee M18 line / Lith Ion, and they have the engineering/design firm in the US, but the company unapologetically is made in China. There's nothing wrong with Chinese cordless tools; by most regards they're disposable. American made power tools are pretty much limited to machinery like Emerson/Rigid, Eaton, Delta, MegaFab (Piranaha), Pines.

>> No.1721763

>>1721753
Taiwanese manufactures Ridgid/Ryobi/AND DEWILZT in same factories (same contract manufactuer) Taiwan ISO 9000 fabs are arguably way better than any CHina PRC suicide netted fab. Dewilt claims US manufactuer now ("from global parts")
So mebbe what they mean is US ASSEMBLED...

>> No.1721764

>>1721763
Taiwanese manufactures Ridgid/Ryobi/AND DEWILZT"

Correction not DEWILY. Meant Ridgid/Ryobi/AND Milkfuckkee ALL all made in same Taiwan fabricas

>> No.1721794
File: 224 KB, 462x454, welp.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1721763
>>1721764
>posts like an absolute retard
>everything he posts is actually wrong

This surprises nobody.

>> No.1721802

>>1714609
i bought the milwaukee m12 dremel thing because fuck you i already had like 3 batteries, and it's really fucking good surprisingly. only paid 65 bucks for it too. Dremels constantly break/wear out because they are made of shitty pot metal on the collet which wears out, and the speed switches are apparently hot dog shit and crap out.

>> No.1721834

>>1721713
Let's not pretend battery management systems are infallible. I'd prefer one of these brands come out with a plug and go pack for replacement 18650s, but that's never going to happen.

>> No.1721862
File: 53 KB, 1000x1000, AEEDB9EA-8259-4C82-9521-7CA358756AA8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1721802
Ryobi might have the best version

>> No.1721921

>>1721709

https://youtu.be/km3TQRoiFt4?t=107

Heres a quick video I found where someone does a pretty solid test.

>> No.1721924

>>1721921
Damn, he got almost double out of the brushless, and that’s a hell of a run out of a 1.5Ah battery. That’s impressive.

Still not apples to apples though, it’s close but could be some difference in the impacting mechanism. But it still isn’t enough to make up all that extra work done.

>> No.1721964

>>1714395

Makita makes compact and subcompact tools for 18v. The idea is you have battery commonality for everything. The low Amp hr small batteries are light and compact but in a pinch you can use a biggun if it runs out.

>> No.1721965

>>1714436

Yeah I didn't like getting docked around by that so I went Makita and damned if I'm going back. They're so big they don't have a reason to care.

>> No.1722192
File: 289 KB, 2060x489, 1641C39F-2CDB-4A4E-A9B3-29239B828BC0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1721964
DeWalt has the Atomic line now, and even Milwaukee’s compact drill-driver and impact drivers are real close in size to the DeWalt and Makita compact 18V tools.

I believe the DeWalt and Makita 12V batteries fit on the same charger as the 18V. Would be cool if you could stick 18V batteries on 12V tools almost like the FlexVolt. DeWalt is FINALLY releasing a couple new 12V tools, but doesn’t touch the M12.

I like the Milwaukee and Ridgid battery design better though. Not sure why but the 3-cell pack in the handle is nice, plus Milwaukee’s charger has slots for M12 and M18. Not quite as convenient as the DeWalt design, but M12 is so far ahead of the other 12V tools that it doesn’t matter.

>> No.1722193

>>1721713
> lithium battery pack

About that. NiCads always worked better under harsher conditions and lasted a lot longer. Why are we using lithium ion again? Oh yeah... the home gamers bought into it.

>> No.1722214

>>1722193
My hilti drill uses lithium batteries and they last forever on a single charge, buddy

>> No.1722216

>>1715234
ratchet guns are pretty snazzy if i must say, also the portable radios are bullet proof.

>> No.1722218

>>1722193
Lithium only gonna get better and cheaper, NiCad I guess could withstand the test of time but really the power output and capacity is garbaaage

>> No.1722254

>>1714609
All of my Dremel tools eventually caught fire after no more than 20 uses (like 5 projects). Don’t think I’m ever buying one again I’m extremely disappointed

>> No.1722343

>>1722193

Who needs 3x the run time and less weight am I right ? :^)

>> No.1722439

>>1722193
>Why are we using lithium ion again?

Because the world around you is continually moving towards improvement, whether you want to hop along for the ride or not.

>> No.1722446

>>1719882
My feces and your mcchicken are also made in the same factory

>> No.1722455

>>1714395
Pretty much sums it up. I love the huge lineup and affordable price of Ryobi for at home. Need a orbital sander? A weed whacker? A pool vacuum? A caulk gun? $30 and you're on your way.

But I use Dewalt 20v XR for work where power and reliability matter.

>> No.1722455,2 [INTERNAL] 

Acquiring Engineering Assignment Help Services is convenient? Seek Online Engineering Writing Help Services from a reputable company for your Engineering Writing Services online.