[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 322 KB, 640x1136, F295AF05-77B2-440F-B781-F134AB92DF92.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1675983 No.1675983 [Reply] [Original]

I’m looking for a decent cordless circular saw for work. I work at a lumber yard. Some days I might use it once or twice, while other days I might use it all day.

I’ve had my eye on this set. It’s not as good as the dual battery Makita saw that is sold by itself, but I’m hoping it’ll work for what I need it to.

I’m also considering Milwaukee, Dewalt, or even a large Ryobi set that comes with a miter saw and a bunch of other shit, but I’m hesitant to buy cheap.

Any suggestions? I wanted a set, as the drills or reciprocating saw would be nice, but a good cordless circular saw is most important.

>> No.1676004

Are you working stationary or are you planning on carrying a bunch of charged battery packs with you? Because those two won't hold up if you are using it all day. You'll have to constantly run back and forth and charge them depending on how much you actually use the saw. It's perfect for those days where you might use it once or twice but I doubt you'll have fun using that one for all day jobs.

>> No.1676028
File: 184 KB, 640x578, 6C49A6C7-B849-4365-92BD-4F2575EB13C9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1675983
You can’t go wrong with the Makita, Milwaukee, or DeWalt stuff, especially if you go with a brushless set. You probably want a brushless saw if you might be using it all day though.

First thing- do you have any other Lithium Ion tools? If yes, think about sticking with that brand.

A couple things with that set- The saw is only 6-1/2”, good for plywood and trim but not the best for lumber. There are tons of 7-1/4” saws on the market. Second is the 2.0Ah battery, it likely won’t last long on those days where the saw sees continuous use. Saws go through batteries real quick. it will be enough to keep you going while the 4.0Ah charges I guess.

Ryobi might not be a bad choice either if you want to get down on lots of their other tools, but don’t get their cheapest set because you will end up with a brushed 6-1/2” saw and small batteries and will probably regret not going with something more. But Ryobi does offer nicer brushless stuff.

Also keep an eye out on sales from the big retailers. You can get some great deals on kits if you’re patient and wait for the sales. Home Depot has a couple deals right now, if you only need the saw and want something super nice, pic related. They have the non-fuel brushless 7-1/4” for $180 with a free 5.0Ah battery and you could order a charger for $20 online. Or there are a couple Ridgid deals, $180 for the 3.0/6.0 battery pack and a free Octane circ saw which is supposed to be real nice.

>> No.1676059 [DELETED] 

>>1675983

>> No.1676065
File: 263 KB, 1936x968, E2A65370-173E-48B9-AA42-B002369822F0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1676028
>>1675983
The Ridgid sales they have right now. I’m normally not the biggest shill for them, but you can’t beat the lifetime warranty and those Octane tools are pretty beastly. Finally got to put my new hammer drill through its paces this weekend and it was chewing through concrete walls real nice, and I have heard great things about that brushless circ saw.

If you were to drop $350, that 9.0 battery would be awesome for those days when you need to run the saw all day, and the Octane 3.0 will give you plenty on the other days and keep it lighter. The drill and impact driver will keep up with the Makita-DeWalt-Milwaukee tools as well.

>> No.1676080

Now that dewalt came out with atomic and the 12v series, will the prices for the Max and XR models go down? Assuming the max brushed line will be phased out sooner than later too

>> No.1676151

>>1676004
I’ll essentially be in one spot, but I’d hate to change batteries constantly. I’ve been doing research in the meantime, and now I’m leaning towards the m18 fuel by Milwaukee.

>>1676065
>>1676004
I’ve been a big fan of ridgid, but I don’t have any battery tools right now. That’s why I’m trying to get started on a set, and keep adding to it. I just didn’t know if ridgid would hold up in a professional environment as well.

Honestly, ryobi seams nice for the price, but I have a history of buying cheap and regretting it. Since I do construction/ framing on the side, I’d want something that can keep up. I’m really thinking I should buy the Milwaukee m18 fuel circular saw, and slowly adding the other Milwaukee products in as I’ll need them.

I can assume that the m18 fuel and m18 batteries are interchangeable between tools, right? Or should I just make sure all tools/ batteries are fuel?

>> No.1676173

>>1676151
The Ridgid will definitely hold up better than the Ryobi. Their current stuff is surprisingly nice, I can’t find any issues with the Ridgid Gen5X and Octane stuff when compared with “contractor grade” DeWalt. I think Ridgid power tools, the current stuff especially, deserves more respect than it gets. The only downside is their tool lineup isn’t as good as Milwaukee, so I wouldn’t blame you for grabbing an M18 Fuel.

>>1676080
DeWalt’s 12V had been out for some time, but it’s really limited. The Atomic stuff copied the Makita black compact stuff and that’s a great idea considering brushless drills and impact drivers put out so much power and guys in tech trades don’t always need full size 6Ah drills for intermittent work. It’s a decent alternative to the 12V tools.

But I doubt the XR stuff will go down much with those two lines. DeWalt’s older brushed 20V Max has gotten cheaper as the XR and Flexvolt gets released, especially the basic tools like the $99 drill/driver. The XR stuff will go down over time as newer and better XR or Flexvolt or “XXR-2” stuff comes out.

>> No.1676177
File: 104 KB, 590x393, 9ABF3B33-DA68-4997-A21B-E7EB158D2126.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1676151
Oh and yeah the M18 batteries fit all M18 tools. It’s not like retarded Makita Star and Yellow batteries. There are M18 HD(?) and HO batteries that will give you more power on some of the high demand tools, but all the batteries will run all the tools, with the exception of shit like maybe the fan and a 12Ah battery which may not physically fit.

>>1676080
Cool pic of the Atomic 20V vs Makita and Milwaukee 12V tools. Worth mentioning that the M12 Fuel is a hammer drill which makes it bigger and is kinda apples to oranges, but that Atomic sure is small.

>> No.1676219

>>1675983
I think Makita has a heavy 9 amp hour battery also. Two 5 amp hour dewalts aren't that $$$

>> No.1676291

I've bought into Aldi workzone range, initially thought I'd get it as a stopgap until I figured out what "proper" brand to buy into. quality seems ok for their "titanium" line, but sadly you just can't go and buy the whole set if you need to, have to wait for them to be released... with patience I've picked up a line trimmer/submersible pump/batteries/chargers/circular saw all on clearance, started out with their brushless drill and it has been a champ, never had any issues and use it constantly