[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 7 KB, 250x206, dell_E157FPTdsss.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
165692 No.165692 [Reply] [Original]

hey /diy/, hopefully someone technologically gifted can give some advice. My work just threw away a Dell 15' touch screen monitor (e157fpt) because they couldn't get it to turn on. I took it home as a, hey, maybe I can fix it, but to no avail. First problem is that it gets no power (from a known working cord).

My question is what might be my next step? I don't have experience taking apart monitors and google searches were not helpful. Thanks for any help in advance.

>> No.165702

I've no real experience with this stuff, but I'd guess first thing to do would be open it up and look for obvious broken parts, scorch marks, etc. make sure there's no loose connections, and try not to break anything when you get it open, be gentle.

>> No.165709

Remove any screws from the back and remove it to check for loose connectors. Also check for any blown fuses. Look around the area where the power cord connects for anything obviously broken.

>> No.165993

get it to a repair shop and you have a very good bargain on a dell, or are you supposed to take it back?

>> No.166004

1) Look very carefully for a switch. You wouldn't believe how often perfectly working equipment ends up at freegeek because the owner just didn't know how to turn it on.

2) Open it up and look for a broken fuse. Not many modern electronics have those; but do it anyway.

3) Look for a popped capacitor. There's this thing called the capacitor plague going on because so many shitty capacitors were used during the last decade.

>> No.166013

We have those at my place of work. Turns out there's a mini battery in the thing. When that battery starts to go, the monitor's life before dying is exponentially shorter every time you turn it on. The power cord is probably still good. GL getting a new internal battery for it.

>> No.166014

Does it not turn on at all or turns on but no picture on the screen?

>> No.166028

I am having a similar problem with my Acer 17" monitor.

The power light and screen flash but nothing comes up on the screen.

I changed out a cap that was bulged and leaking, but it still doesnt work.

>> No.166054

On the power supply circuit board, replace ALL capacitors except the really big one.

Get decent capacitors like Rubycon ZL or ZLG or YXF series etc from Element 14 (Farnell) or RS Components etc and it'll last for years.

I've repaired *heaps* f monitors, TV's etc like this. I usually sell them and make a cool $50-150.

>> No.166055

They just gave you a 15' monitor? Must be worth heaps. Repair and sell.

>> No.166328

sounds like the input cable isn't working/connected/supplying enough power.

source Have a monitor that Did this too

>actually had 4

>> No.166611

If op is still here I'd like to know if his problem is solved.

>> No.166614

>>165692

Holy shit. Fifteen feet? That's ridiculous. You measured corner-to-corner, right?

I'd just sell it, man.

>> No.166653

>15 foot touch screen monitor

DEAR GOD

>> No.166708

theres a few boards inside the monitor. you have your power supply board, the video display board and the backlight inverter board

most likely the video board and power supply board are seperate, but chances are they could be contained on one board.

most liekly the power supply board has a problem. could be bad capacitors (lcd monitors are notorious for this shit in the power supply and inverter circuits) I take it youarent handy with electrical components. so fixing it is probably out of your league. just shitcan it or resell it on ebay for parts. some other schmuck might buy it and get it to work and you can at least get $10 for it maybe. better than nothing