[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 17 KB, 882x758, 1459988397001.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1647987 No.1647987 [Reply] [Original]

>apply for plumber apprentice position paying $11/hour
>they tell me I don't have the experience they're looking for
>guy says to work at home depot for 2+ years so I "learn the names of tools" before they'll even give me a call back
>tfw fell for the trades meme

>> No.1647993

>>1647987
Sounds about right, that's what happens when most trade fags are absolute retards. They ruin it for everybody.

>> No.1647995

>>1647993
Back in college I was hired to be an intern mechanic and the manager was visibly surprised when he saw that I could use hand tools without supervision.

>> No.1647999

>>1647995
I helped pay for college as a day laborer for a local small plumbing company. After I graduated, the owner pulled me aside and said "I'll give you the company when I retire if you can just get licensed. I can't trust any of these retards, including my son".
I didn't take the offer, because I'm not putting all my chips into a verbal promise that you can pull out from under me at anytime in the next 4 years, and also after college fuck going back to school for anything. I still think about what it would have been like, dude had mansions and shit, crazy money.

>> No.1648018

>>1647987
>bullshit wojak larp spambot thread

fuck you

>> No.1648072

>>1647987
Move to the Midwest, the companies here need every warm body they can get and it shows with the apprentices they've been taking for the last 2 years.

>> No.1648111

>>1647999
>>1647995
>>1647987
>work for phone company
>like $35/hour
>hire a guy that worked for att.
>'experienced'

Hand him a torque wrench, toeque this case down

>doesnt follow torque pattern
>doesnt seem to notice it's a torque wrench
>doesnt check what it's set to
>just torques the fucking shit out of it
>two studs destroyed before we can stop him.

Everyone is retarded holy shit you cant find good help

>> No.1648112

>>1648111
Anon from >>1647999 here, I manage a retail location now and HOLY SHIT it's true. I can't find people who can fucking sweep floors right, let alone do useful shit. Once I find someone with half a brain, I raise their pay as high as corporate will let me and let all the retards wonder why they're stuck at minimum wage.

>> No.1648121

>>1648111
>>1648112
Whoah...so this is why we need to import immigrant labor...

>> No.1648122

>>1648121
They cant do it either or are work.

Its like living on the normie side of Tge Fountainhead except I dont think theres a city of smart people anywhere.

>> No.1648128

>>1647987
If you're not even minimum viably handy, e.g., you can replace basic shit in your car when it breaks, and you didn't go to college where they can at least program your passive brain to do some mundane office task, then you are basically a life failure and you shouldn't survive or reproduce. They know you're useless and don't want to waste their time. Learn to do something instead of being useless.

>> No.1648133

These days anyone worth half a shit is already self taught and likely to have a better job to begin with, or despite their intelligence aren't suited for or inclined towards any manual labor.

We also need to get rid of the meme that working for a living like trades is shameful or means you're a moron. There are plenty of kids with mechanical aptitude, many with at least associates degrees in a STEM field, stuck in a low pay or entry level position when they could make lots more money in a trade, but were told growing up that doing any manual labor more demanding than plugging up a wire (as a job, not a hobby) is for dropouts.

Despite the unions, we aren't still stuck with guilds where only a son of an electrician or X can become one. But, for majority of population the only people who learn a trade are ones with family or friends that suggested or introduced the idea, or hired them personally.

Simpler example, no matter the pay, it's hard as hell to find someone willing to do tile work that can do basic math/geometry or capable of doing straight lines and level surfaces.

TL:DR; Kids with intelligence or aptitude prefer being stuck at entry level tech support or sales at walmart wages, even if they could make 4X the money even doing LV wiring with little to no training.

>> No.1648139

The stupid is all over. I work in tech support. Like actual tech support, not working a phone for Facebook and telling people to uninstall the app from their phone and reinstall it. Just cause it requires a degree doesn't mean people ain't retarded. We've had to fire people for the dumbest shit.

Hey, dingleberry, don't access these machines. They are being overseen by the local municipality and you need a background check before you can even touch their stuff. Everything is supervised. What's the fucker do? Access them from HOME on a WEEKEND like no one would notice an outside IP registered to a VPN in Germany. Fucking dumbass. And what was on the servers? Fucking nothing. It was a backup DC that was being retired and had everything ripped out. Oh, and protip, a VPN is not an onion router. We can track down where shit comes from given enough time.

Another tech in our office ignores jobs that are assigned to him. Every fucking week we have to talk to this mouth breather about not working assigned jobs. We once went over security cam footage of him sitting in from of his machine literally playing with a couple of pens instead of working for 40 minutes. At least go back and do the work fucknut. That way no one knows you are fucking off.

The best one though was our shift supervisor. He was promoted for showing up and lasting longer than anyone else. A real Michael Scott. No aptitude for a leadership position at all. Great tech, shit boss. Hired some real turds, wouldn't fire bad employees, no ability to train or improve those under him. Really useless.

>> No.1648248

>>1647987
So, was he right that you didn’t even know names of the tools?

>> No.1648340

>>1647987
You Americans really get baited into these shitty jobs.
Work in the public sector

>> No.1648372

>>1647987
>>1647987
>>1647987
step 1) be white
step 2) be over 6 feet tall
step 3) adhere to boomer socialization techniques such as firm handshake and eye contact and yes sir/no sir
step 4) be muscular

Fact: You could have a list of felonies a mile long and no job history at age 35, but if you're a 6ft+ 200lb+ white man that can appease boomers you can get ANY apprenticeship in America.

Stop being small. Stop being afraid. These trade guys want to hire guys from the football team that didn't make it to college. They dont want your scrawny terrified ass to baby around.

>> No.1648398

>>1648372
Alternatively, if you are shit at everything and want to "work" in the tech industry, you can cut your dick off and take hormone treatments. Also this can get you at least one term as a democratic congresstranny. See: John Flynt

>> No.1648801

>>1648372
Literally this. I’m an intelligent, young white kid with a basic working knowledge of tools and mechanics but zero knowledge of electrics. I scored a decent job at a HVAC controls company just by looking the owner in the eyes, shaking his hand and being muscular. I’m only 5’8 but I’m 200 pounds of mostly muscle and I got hired because “there was dirt under my nails and I look like I’ve seen some hard work”

>> No.1648966

>>1648372
Thank god for the IBEW. I only have the last two bullet points down but they gave me a chance as a 1st year apprentice and I've been doing great so far working in the field.

>> No.1648968

>>1648801
>>1648966

Respect dudes , good trades are Never out of work .

>> No.1649000

>>1647987
Tell him hes a mentally retarded faggot and call up 20 more.

Fucks sake guys. Getting a new job is the best chance you have to find what you like and what you hate. Figured I'd LOVE truck driving. Worst year of my life. Figured I'd love pipelining. Fuck that. Hopped into some equipment. Play with big boy IRL Tonka toys. It ain't fun. At all. But it pays alright, hardly much physical labor besides driving around in a fucking paint shaker, and it's the most tolerable job I've ever had.

If I quit or get fired here I can get a job basically anywhere 1st or 2nd world country. Just grab my fist full of credit cards and start making calls.

What yall need to do is study investing and quit with this wagecucking bullshit. It's not hard. At all. You just have to show up to a random ass job, on time, put in a half ass effort at least, don't clock out early. Go home and read a personal finance or investing book 1 hour a night.

NB4 le tired. No time. Wtf ever. Just as with a gym make gains, not excuses. My last job I worked 90 fucking hours a week. I managed to pay a co worker $10 a day to drive my own car. I'd set in the passenger side and read real estate investing books. During the day most of the time we would have to wait a minute or 2 to dump a load of rock into the crusher. Read half a page or so. Then getting loaded. Read 1 or 2 pages doing that. Sometimes I did sleep on the way to work and there were days where I didnt read shit. But you gotta stick with it.

Those books and finding a way to get shit sorted in my personal financial life was fucking life changing.

It doesnt have to be real estate. Sell etsy teir shit at craft shows or whatever. Just fucking read. I hate reading. But I read every fucking day and I stand to be retired before 40. Some of you could do it in your 20s. You dont need money. You need to learn how to make it through any ethical way possible so that you can buy shit that appreciates in value

>> No.1649003

>>1647999
Anon you fucked up so fucking bad.

>can I get that in writing
>sure anon here
>have attorney review
>get business that buys you mansions.

Sort your shit

>> No.1649005

>>1647987
wait isnt the point of the apprentice program to TEACH you how to do the shit? like WTF why would they suggest home depot.. those cunts dont know shit about the tools or anything

>> No.1649008

>>1649003
Maybe I did, but after 4 years in plumbing and HVAC, I wanted out

>> No.1649011

>>1648340
You Europeans need new Air Jordan's to dodge religion of peace trucks. The public sector ain't the same here

>> No.1649015

>>1649008
Dont blame you I guess. When we moved I told my wife I am never 1 time ever going to be under this fucking house. I'm done playing vietcong

>> No.1649026

>>1649000

This is the kinda shit I want to get into but haven't got the slightest idea where to start. Starting from square one here and don't want to waste time on bad resources like I've done on other new undertakings.

My fault for being a dumb fuck.

So question, where to start? Even the name of book(s) or resources you recommend?

>> No.1649030

fuck plumbing.. do electrical work.. its a cleaner job you wont smell like sewage and PVC glue all day

>> No.1649038

>>1649030
>smell like sewage and PVC glue all day
Mutt plumbs
kek

>>1649026

Go watch plumbers on kike tube then sparks , or plasterers an see which you prefer ,

see how hard or best you feel suited this is a hard trades , But if you Just Take to it , you can Have a wicked Brill Lifestyle where work is looked forward , not a hate .. whatever you fancy , Go ask local trades can I free labour for you Please ? then get tasters , they will bants an give you ruff shit , but Respect you if you do more than a week . Show them you Worthy not a zoomer twatter phone onions fag

>> No.1649146

>>1648372
This hasn't been my experience. Foremen like having at least one short skinny guy around so they can send him into crawl spaces and drop ceilings.

>> No.1649150

>grow up working on fishing boats in alaska till i was 22
>move to the mainland and have zero experience in anything except for back breaking labor
what the FUCK do i do? being an electrician seems cool but i wouldnt even know where to start

>> No.1649161

>>1649030
>do electrical work.. its a cleaner job you wont smell like sewage and PVC glue all day
Have you ever run underground conduit? You gotta dig and you end up dirty and half high on PVC cement at the end of the day

>> No.1649169

>>1649150
Make friends. It'll get you a job a lot faster than anything else.

>> No.1649315

>>1648801
Cringe

>> No.1649322

>>1648133
>but were told growing up that doing any manual labor more demanding than plugging up a wire (as a job, not a hobby) is for dropouts.
I can relate to this, I fell for the software dev meme.
I earn OK I guess but I don't like my job. I would rather do carpentry

>> No.1649332

>>1648112
Low level manager thinks he is smart.

>> No.1649339

>>1648248
A company that's not shit is able to train new guys. I didn't know names of tools when I started a trade job, but I learned. I hope that boss cries at night because he can't find enough techs for all the work he took on, and refuses to get helpers for the guys he already has

>>1648966
You should find a non union job now that you know shit. Your dues pay for bullshit like this
https://youtu.be/OAQaH6B7N78
Get unions out of politics

>>1649000
Most based thing I've ever read

>>1649026
>Get a 401k, ask your boss or hr about it, make sure your company matches some % of your contributions
>Find a financial advisor and set up payments to a post tax investment account, they can talk you through the details of that. New York Life, Edward Jones, etc.
>Use spare money to pay off debt you currently have, aim for high interest stuff first
>Avoid new loans with monthly payments, if you're making a big purchase try to make your down payment as big as possible, save for a little bit if you have to. If your interest on a loan is $25/month for 10 years, by the end you'll have paid $3k more than you needed to if you had waited and saved and paid in full at the start (25x12x10)
>When you get to the point that your 401k and investment account together can pay all your bills and living expenses, you will no longer need to work

If you rely on social security you're a cuck

>>1649150
Start with low voltage electric. Learn about relays and shit, with fewer certs needed, and none of this>>1649161 and usually you can start with no experience

>> No.1649358

>>1649026
>rich dad poor dad
>$7 used on amazon or cheaper ebook.
>read the books recommended throughout it
>read some of the books those books recomend.
>after about 10 books you can spot the guru shills. Everyone has a magic system to get rich. Just google them and see if they are a scammer.
>sign up at bigger pockets and lurk. Plus they have resources and all the state documentation needed for most real estate deals.

I'm far from rich yet. But, I have gone from 6 figure debt and nearly homeless to 3 rentals and almost bad debt free. It gets easier every day.

>> No.1649359

>>1649038
Noboday wants to plaster eurofaggot.

And we use PEX now so suck shit

>> No.1649360

>>1649150
Get a job with any general contractor building new houses. You'll quickly run into the sparkys. Cherry elm up and tell them this. They'll tell you where to go. Or if you dont mind goofy hours and some travel get a job with the railroad

>> No.1649362

>>1649339
Not just a cuck but its financial suicide. The government cant keep it's own shit sorted. You think them crooked cucks in dc give a fuck about us? No.

They perpetually want more money until the financial collapse of our monopoly money economy.

>> No.1649376

>>1649339
>You should find a non union job now that you know shit. Your dues pay for bullshit like this
>https://youtu.be/OAQaH6B7N78
>Get unions out of politics
I literally pay less than 2% of my monthly pay in dues, and it all goes towards two pension plans. I could give a fuck about politics, non union shops aren't going to give me ONE pension plan and social security wont be around by the time i'm 65. Not to mention I'd most likely get paid less.

>> No.1649407

>>1648111
>Literally hovering over a nervous guy who hasn't seen "MUH TORQUE BUR"
>He's thinking, "why would a fucking phone panel cover need to be torqued down so hard? These people are insane"
>"Now he's mad that I didn't set this insignificant nut to an exact number"
>"Are you serious? He watched me do the last 2 nuts and then bitches?"

>> No.1649453
File: 58 KB, 500x500, s-l1000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1649407
>hovering
You mean working with him in the same manhole because that's what you do?

>muh torque
The correct torque is written on the case, as is the tightening order.

>exact
Yes, I want water to leak into my 7200 pair splice and take the entire west end of the county down, interrupting businesses, the 911 backbone, and the state lottery.

>exact
Not fuck up a $1000 12" case

It's okay to be ignorant anon, you should just be honest when you dont know how to do something and ask for help.

>> No.1649463

>>1649332
Not him but it makes sense to me; pay the good people more money

>> No.1649615

>>1649026
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started

>> No.1649637

>>1649463
Truth. My company pays well. Treats us well besides a few dickhead bosses. Employs decent people without drug problems that show up on time and work all day. Well oiled machine.

Vs last place I worked at. Any mouthbreathing faggot hired. Had 15 employees. My first year counted 22 people hired and fired or quit. Pay shit. Treated like shit. Quickly give 0 fucks at all. Watch people steal shit all the time and just shrug. Shit always broken. Always some mouth breathing neckbeard faggot butching about the heat while standing in the shade watching you work.

If you cant fucking find quality employees make it better for them to work there. Rather benefits or pay or whatever.

It's pretty fucking simple

>> No.1649837

>>1647987
>do HVAC, generator and electrical work inna military
>get out and immediately get HVAC job doing residential installs
>have only worked on chiller units
>still getting paid 24 an hour off the bat

Get gud.

>> No.1649841

>>1649030
electrical work blows just as bad as the others at times...

go try and do some trouble shooting at a dog food factory while they are grinding rotten meat and the juices are dripping on you. All the while someone is bitching that their conveyor belts are down and they are losing $20k/hr in product.

Then on commercial jobs you are more or less required to know how everything is going to be built, where its going and then know the future well enough that you can adapt the system to meet the new requirements of the job, because you know what, they rarely change shit that has to do with plumbing.

>> No.1649853

>>1649841
KEK THE FUCK NO. KYS BEFORE PICK UP A VEEF REMINE LOSD OR DOG FOOD FACTORY.

OMFG JUST NOPE OUT AND LAUGH.

>> No.1649940

>>1649637
Those places never change. It’s best to just move on.

>> No.1651787

>>1648018
Cope

>> No.1652936

>>1648372
My boss likes to hire techs with records who would have a hard time leaving him for another contractor. Sometimes literally just playing the Michael J. Scott card all day long everyday works. Once you get in and learn a thing or two, then you can get picky and start calling or asking around about other contractors or just get your own license if you're willing to work with them that long.

I don't know about race, but I know that most companies prefer a guy who's put together enough to not intimidate or worry clients.

>> No.1652948

>>1652936
You mean no cholos or nigs required but rapist ex cons ok

>> No.1653038

>stories itt
and these losers then elect someone who promised them to build the wall so that "
dey don't tirk er jerbs".
i'd rather hire a gonzales than cletus honestly. and where i live it is a moot point anyway since most roofers around here are mexicans, nice, friendly and hard working people. not a bunch of lazy angry alcoholic sex offenders.

>> No.1653055

Weird how a board about do it yourself help has just turned into some sad mix of r9k and pol.

>> No.1653061

>>1653055

threads about jobs and career choices don't really belong here, so they tend to be full of retards fighting.

>> No.1653163

>>1649463
This is why you're poor. Corporatocracy rewards underpaying someone then using their expertise to train a replacement who will do the same job for less.

>> No.1653188

>>1648801
I don't see how being white has anything to do with it. Most owners or contractors I see nowadays just don't respect the mentality of your typical millenial. I've seen them jump like there's a unicorn if you're both young and capable, but most guys under 30 in the industry are fucking morons or pussies that expect to be working 9-5 and insist on having MLKLGQBTXYZ day off.

Nothing to do with being white. I'm white as fuck, and at least where I live it only helps partially for white ladies thinking you're less rapey maybe or like the 1 in 1000 racist bastard who picks me simply because of my skin, but mostly it makes it so that all the hispanics and other minorities make me work harder for their respect in all aspects, or they just disregard my hard work as white privilege of some kind.

>> No.1653190

>>1652948
Nah, I'm the only white tech my boss has right now, the rest are all ex con beaners and crass as fuck. That's why I'm so confused at the fixation on race.

>> No.1653191

>>1652948
>>1653190
Oh also a few negro helpers, but we only let them in cause they're extra prison-ey.

>> No.1653192

>>1649837
You're only gettin 24? That's barely certified around here and definitely nothing to brag about. I'd either pick another place to do air conditioning, or start shopping for another place to work near you.

>> No.1653195

>>1648133
>do framing, trim, tile, sheetrock, and demo
>make $15
The five year+ outlook where I'm at is like 18/hourly to run 1-4 people on a job. It's lowkey here and nice to see a lot of different types of job, but I'm always working on the side to maintain any kind of sustainable income. The boss is making 50/hour/person on every site +10% of materials and fuck whatever all else. I guess this is better than the last boss that couldn't pay his own bills let alone keep up with your checks.

>> No.1653389

>>1653192
Where I work as an engineer I make 35 an hour one of my coworkers started at 15 an hour doing the same job after 7 years he still makes less than I do after 2 months if you don't know what you're worth you'll get fucked

>> No.1653409

>commercial sailor
>need job on land
>become rodbuster
>this is the most fucking retarded trade
>apply to boat shop
>love my job and paid very well, and genuine room for growth and new skills, unlike union trade work.

So glad I finally fell into what I enjoy

>> No.1653483

>>1649026
Not who your talking to but in samw boat. Start witb The Richest Man in Babylon. Literally a $1 on Ibooks. Look up what the most successful people read. Thats what I did. I work for peanuts and am looking to be able to invest next year. I’ve only been at this for 2 years

>> No.1653506

>>1647987
because they don't want you. they raise the bar high enough that few people qualify so they can then turn around and say they couldn't find anyone and apply to have an immigrant brought over to work for next to nothing

>> No.1653510

>>1649453
Just because he has a background at AT&T doesn't mean he knows OSP. Sounds like the old saying about assuming came true for ya m8.

>> No.1653524

>>1653506
>say they couldn't find anyone and apply to have an immigrant brought over to work for next to nothing
but the job was for 13/hour which is already next to nothing

>> No.1653574

>>1652948
Or the guy with 6 DUIs and likes to party on weekends...

>> No.1653575

>>1653163
We got it backwards. Yall should youtube simon sinek. Bro is a damned genious. Service to others. (No-homo)

>> No.1653576

>>1653409
We should all love our jobs. Happy for you brother

>> No.1653577

>>1653483
Keep going man. It gets easier and sometimes even fun

>> No.1653807

>>1647987
Work at home depot for 2+ years and you'll be making more than that dickhead would pay you anyway.

>> No.1653861

>>1653506
Find me one example of a small plumbing business doing this. It's a licensed trade.

>> No.1653867

>>1653861
The immigrants are 'helpers' and he drives around at the end of their jobs to sign off on them... maybe.

>> No.1653994

>>1653576
Thanks man.

Almost 25, and have been forced to work some really hard jobs in my career. Farm, factory, construction, and merchant mariner life.

I also realized I’ve become partially like all those old ornery captains and blue collar fucks that rode me for years.
Constantly noticing corners being cut, fuckers on their phones, people dicking around and talking too much instead of getting shit done.... it’s conditioning I am trying to get away from.

Shit though, it has made my work ethic and interpersonal skills stand out quite well.

Best of luck to y’all. Go learn as much as you can and hop around a bit. But don’t waste your time at shit jobs. I fucked off 3 years of mine. But grinding is finally paying off.

>> No.1654821

>>1648121

>he doesn't realize that the useless people are the citizen children of immigrants we imported to do the work

>> No.1655017

If someone doesn't know how to do a task but they are willing and able to learn, teach them.

It is your responsibility to equip the next generation

>> No.1657120
File: 11 KB, 300x168, got that going for me.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1648372
I'm white, 6'1, 185lbs, and make eye contact, and I'm getting inducted into the IBEW in a week. No prior experience in construction, but I show up each day.

>>1652936
The guys at my site joke about needing a DWI or two to get in the IBEW, and a divorce if you want to be a foreman.

>> No.1657203

>>1647987
Idk what half the tools i use at work are called.

Anytime someone asks me to grab a tool idk i just look at what theyre doin and grab what looks like will work. Havent been wrong yet.

>> No.1657222

>>1647987
>aprenticeship
>expiriance needed
Boomer were a mistake

>> No.1657223

>>1648111
Its spelt torx, and its a srewdriver.

>> No.1657266

>>1647987
where on earth is a plumbers starting apprenticeship wage at 11 an hour. here in seattle the UA starts like 25 an hour for material handlers.

>> No.1657285
File: 64 KB, 1024x512, 79B9D926-087D-47DE-BA4E-F94D60B0E8DC.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This seems like a good place to ask

Basically I’m doing a plumbing apprenticeship I took out of financial desperation through a private company, I original signed on to be a welder (I actually really enjoy doing this) but they pulled the wool over my eyes and I was in no position financially to say no. Almost a year later and I still hate doing what I’m doing, I work long hours doing something I don’t like, I travel over 100+ miles daily because the company is based in the Bay Area and I’m in Central California, I lose half of what I make on lodging when I stay out of town and have to fight the company to get per diem and I do not weld at all anymore. I was approached by my local union when I finally was doing a job in my hometown (was there for only a week) and they offered me a welders/pipefitters apprenticeship. They told me that they get most of the work in my hometown and the surrounding towns and that I can call them whenever I liked.

Should I risk going for the union guys? I’m 24 y/o, most of the older guys I know tell me that I’m at the perfect age to join up with a union but for some reason I still feel hesitant. I’m just sick of the underhandedness of my company, not doing what I like and the traveling brehs, I work hard but my life has basically become my job, I don’t do shit after work because of the commute and all I want to do on the weekends is sleep in and not do shit.

>> No.1657286

>>1657285
What have you got to lose? You already know what you need to do. Goodluck.

>> No.1657309

>>1653195

I'd pay you 25 if you were on my crew. I start new guys with no experience at 16.

>> No.1657310

>>1657120

They will take 3% of your gross and "donate" it to democratic candidates for office.

>> No.1657314

>>1647987
that sucks mang
we just hired a 19yo kid for 15/hr no experience as a welder/fab 2 weeks later kid is a pro
fuck those companies keep your head up OP

>> No.1657317
File: 43 KB, 325x310, wtf.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1648801
is this pasta fuck /diy/ can be cringy as fuck

>> No.1657551

>>1647987
Lmao finding a helper/apprenticeship is easy you retard, you’re just retarded.

>> No.1657559
File: 41 KB, 1098x1008, FD62BCE6-9F7D-4ECA-80A2-CFD63F4CDD4C.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My dad told me i should be a plumber instead of going to college. Then i went to law school instead. I hate blue collar boomers.

>> No.1657561

>>1657559
Cool story, bro

>> No.1657589

>>1657559
Lol. He's right. If you stopped at a ba or MBA in most fields youd be better off plumbing

>> No.1657734

>>1657310
I'm thinking about writing a letter each year telling them to not use my money for anything political, but I just have the idea so far. Who knows if it will work.

>> No.1657787

>>1657285
Take the union job! You’re traveling for your employer and they’re not paying your travel expenses? Are you kidding me? They need to go fuck themselves with a rake. That is the most unethical shit I ever heard of. They are probably violating wage and hour laws. Join that union and don’t look back!

>> No.1657798

>>1657734
In california you can do it, but it doesnt really change anything because they just use more of your money for travel expenses and more of others for the kickbacks.

>> No.1657799

>>1657223
someone give this man a raise

>> No.1657805

Question for anyone actually working in a trade: why do unions fuck people around even though there's a severe shortage of bodies in the field? I went down to the plumbers local in my city a little over a year ago and applied to be an apprentice. Filled out paperwork and got placed as a pre-apprentice working at one of the shops in the union. A year later when it came time to test and interview to get in, I did well on both. Had a letter of recommendation from the owner of my shop which according to my superintendent means the hall is contractually obligated to take me on. I'm doing well and learning quickly, most foremen I work under are surprised when I tell them I'm not even an apprentice yet. Anyways they rejected me because out of 400 applicants, 24 had letters of recommendation from their shop and they only took 14 people for this years class. No hard feelings, I get it. Then I go to a new jobsite with an apprentice that just got placed with our shop. Dude's even more green than me, literally walked into the hall off the street and applied to be an apprentice last March, no experience at all. He's got like a political science degree and is a law school dropout. And that guy got accepted over me. I'm not bitter at him about it but finding that out was just kind of a slap in the face

>> No.1659621

>>1649358
>rich dad poor dad
>after about 10 books you can spot the guru shills
Anon, I...

>> No.1659629

>>1657805
Damn man go for an electrical NJATC school, if you do well you're good, no bullshit like what you experienced

>> No.1661856

>>1647995
>contractor here
>put ad on CL
>emails only
>seriously over 100 emails 1 day
>sift through 80 shit
>find guy
>needs ride (not noted in response)
>choice 2
>sure anon, when, where?
>shows up hoop d truck
>average work, low pace
>cash him out end of day
>you need to pick up the pace tomorrow, or no more work after
>later evening homeowner calls me, quart of dudes oil on homeowners driveway
>750k home
>THE FUCK?!?!
>call anon, no answer
>next morning dude is 25 minutes early
>pulls back in driveway, zero fucks given
> wife homeowner loses shit outside
>dude arguing with her called her cunt
>mfw
>show up
>fucking nuclear bomb
>fire dude, 6 dollars short on cashing him out for day
>dude loses shit over that
>wife homeowner gives me a ten to make him leave
>hang my head in shame as I cleaned driveway, finished project
>did get a referral from them though

>> No.1661975
File: 50 KB, 480x472, 65066D7B-1687-4F77-82A5-0C4081C2656D.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1649011
f

>> No.1662090

>>1649853
Is this English? Can anyone parse this for me?

>> No.1662326
File: 64 KB, 645x729, 8BF7696C-3BDC-40CE-9639-C52D129E3D9E.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1649339
>get unions out of politics

>> No.1662328

>>1661856
this why zoomers cannot work in blue collar , ok flipping burgers

>> No.1662329

>>1662090

you not even Clever to give funny reply so no understand

stop being that Cunt on spelling ok , its old an boring , you sad cunt , get Cancer an die . no one likes that shit reply it was was as old as your mom ok

>> No.1662335

>>1657285
come into the fold young one
https://youtu.be/5iAIM02kv0g

>> No.1662578

>>1662329
huh?

>> No.1662587

>>1662329
>*ding* turkeys done

>> No.1662744

>>1647987
Be a heating and air tech
Look _ to have work for everybody these big companies have to so shady stuff. It's the law of the jungle
So just pick a few with full page ads in the phone book and show up looking for work. It'll happen then don't call off, ask for more responsibility and you'll be married with kids slaving like me in no time

>> No.1662842

>>1648372
Im 6'4" skinny black guy with no forearm shaking strengths. Still got the job. Boomers act weird tho.