[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 127 KB, 203x420, RWK-JUST-ORGCONCGRAPE-32_L.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
163801 No.163801 [Reply] [Original]

sup /diy/plomats, if i threw some yeast into this bad boy, closed it back up and let it sit for a couple weeks would it turn into a low quality wine? How much yeast should i use? approximately what would be the AC? how long should i let it sit? any thing to do so it doesn't explode or something (heard about yeast+the sugar causing pressure)?
Thanks for everything

>> No.163802

rwknudsenfamily(insert-a-dot-here)com/products/just-juice/organic-just-concord-grape/

that page has the nutritional info, all 100% juice no preservatives

>> No.163811

also what type of yeast is the best to use?

>> No.163830
File: 43 KB, 129x139, 1118.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>163811
http://www.lalvinyeast.com/EC1118.asp

>> No.163832

no homebrewers tonight willing to share some light?
any and all ideas appreciated

>> No.163833

>>163830
thanks, do you know if i can pick it up at any health food store or even a grocery store? or do i need to order online?

>> No.163838
File: 19 KB, 269x500, LD4600.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>163801
Small hole in the cap with a pen or nail, insert this
http://www.store.homebrew4less.com/prodinfo.asp?number=LD4600
Fill it with water to the line, change the water every week, leave the bottle in a semi cool dry place, until it stops bubbling.
Roughly 12-21% ABV
www.store.homebrew4less.com/prodinfo.asp?number=LD5453
this will tell you how much alcohol you have.

>> No.163841
File: 38 KB, 324x450, fruit-wine-fermentation-thumb6201023.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You can't just close it up because it WOULD explode. You need a little device like in this picture. It lets carbon dioxide escape without letting anything in. It's POSSIBLE to ferment something without it, but it's not a good idea. If you get fruit flies in it, it will turn to vinegar.

That said, I don't know if it will work. I just no it's not as simple as throwing in yeast and closing it up. I've helped make wine from scratch and it takes MONTHS, but that's with two rounds of fermentation. If it doesn't go right, it could make you quite sick.

>> No.163843

>>163801
If you seal it up it'll explode from a buildup of carbon dioxide. Also you need to add sugar to it or the yeast will die off too quickly.

>> No.163844

Most of these products are only available at brewing/vintners stores. Cheaper to order on line to be honest.

>> No.163846

>>163841
what part would make me sick? im not putting in anything i cant eat alone, obviously yeast would be uncomfortable, but if i strained the rest off i don't see the problem.
>>163838 do i have to get this online or can i get it somewhere else, im in nyc so if it exists, thers probably one here

>> No.163852

>>163843
about how much sugar for one packet of yeast?>>163844
id really rather buy it in a store, it appears that there are a few near me, money is not a problem

also should i clean the airlock or not?

>> No.163860

Oh, welcome to the world of brewing, prepare to have you ass chewed, patted, rubbed, ran over, laughed at and insulted before being handed back to you on a silver platter. Brewers are a screwy bunch, each is very particular, looking to make the perfect brew, etc. But don't let that get you down. It all starts with what your doing right now, throw some yeast in some juice, and see what happens. If you use good yeast, and treat it well, you will get good wine. But your just starting out, so it's gonna be tough, like all things, and as you go along you will learn from your mistakes. I guess when it comes to safety, here are some simple rules. Come prepared with several towels and buckets, shit spills, get over it, get it cleaned up. Keep everything as clean and sanitary as possible (clean: free of visible contaminants / sanitary: free of biological contaminants.) No one ever get's it all right the first time. Try and try again. Finally, always try to have fun.

Welcome to the club, if your in the united states you're legally allowed to brew 100 gallons a year per adult in your household, up to 2 people. So if there are 2 adults on your property you may legally brew 200 gallons a year, but no more. Home distillation is possible too but requires federal state and local licensing and isn't worth the headache unless you plan on making it into a business. Good luck!

>> No.163862
File: 1.82 MB, 1408x3420, 1329796581610.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I am just starting to make mead and I would guess that your juice would be similar. Basic recipe is one pack of yeast (standard bread yeast from grocery store), 1 gallon of water and 3 pounds of honey. so I would say 1 gallon of juice for one pack of yeast. Also for a cap he uses a balloon with a couple pin holes put in it before he bought actual bubblers. There is a website link at the bottom of the picture.

>> No.163863

>>163843
Not necessarily. It's how you make cheap champagne, leaves the co2 in it.

But if you dont want co2 in it anyways, always leave it vented.

I've fermented in sealed containers without an airlock a few times, never had any of them blow up. Plus i got to pretend i was in the fizzy lifting drink part of willy wonka when i finally drank the shit.

>> No.163864

>>163860
thank you! thanks for the encouragement and ideas!

>> No.163868

>>163863
thanks! so i can just put a balloon over it an cover poke a hole or 2? whats bad if its exposed to open air
>>163862
thanks for the advice

>> No.163872

>>163868
No problem and good luck! I have till April before I can do any early tasting and till end of may before i bottle. The guy who made the info graphic also made a pom mead. I am going to try a cherry juice version here shortly.

>> No.163873

>thanks! so i can just put a balloon over it an cover poke a hole or 2? whats bad if its exposed to open air

You can....but a regular airlock cost less than a buck from any diy brew store.

if it gets exposed to air, you run the risk of the yeast reproduction getting out of hand, leaving you with a real yeasty product. Yeast tastes like fucking shit too, a yeasty product is one of the worst outcomes.

>> No.163876

>>163873
thanks, i think i might just run out and get an airlock since its so damn cheap, thanks for the info, yeast wouldnt harm would it? im fine if i feel woozy (clearly this is the point, im making alcohol) but would it harm me?

>> No.163889

>>163876
No, yeast is perfectly nutritious to eat and everything. But a yeasty final product tastes like dog balls.

>> No.164120

>>163889
>dog balls
Seconded.
Use the yeast I suggested here >>163830
It is a very good beginners wine yeast, hard to totally fuck up, it grows well in variant temperature (don't get crazy now) but don't let other yeast that live in the air into your brew with this yeast, it doesn't do well with outsiders and you get funk flavor all up in your juice.
Oh, an never balloons. First, funk odor is gonna be rising up off of this bad boy, now you got an air lock, the funk rises and bubbles out, in a balloon it congeals and coagulates all up on the rubbery nubbins and gracelessly drips its funky flavors into your juice, just imagine a sweaty pair of latex covered nuts, all hairy and shit, sweat just drippin off of them into your juice, that's what happens on the inside of a balloon. So don't do that shit. Also yeast don't like increased atmospheric pressure.

>> No.164123

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmuH8xWOJv4&feature=related

Best and easiest way. It tastes great. I'm not kidding.
I use fleischmann's yeast. 2 cups of sugar. Teapoon of yeast. Shake it up, loosen the cap a little bit. Let it sit.

>> No.164125

>>164120
> (...) just imagine a sweaty pair of latex covered nuts, all hairy and shit, sweat just drippin off of them into your juice

Oh, diy...

>> No.164143

I do it all the time. I make my wine out of storebought juice bottles, right in the bottle, I just toss in the yeast and sugar. Buy an airlock for safety. You most def need to buy a filter, they're under 2 bucks. Find the nearest brewing supply store near you, every city has them, or order online from amazon or whatever.

How much sugar to add? 0.25grams per ml is the ideal amount of sugar. So 1L should have 250grams of sugar. The juice will already contain some sugar so do some subtraction to figure out how much sugar you need to add. Table sugar is good, but get the finest sugar you can, since smaller particles disolve easier. Get a funnel and a measuring cup. Why this amount of sugar? My online research has indicated that any less and there would be less alcohol, any more and the yeast would get drunk too quickly and there'd be less alcohol. This sugar amount is calculated for your average wine yeast.

Oh and thats another thing, you need wine yeast. Dont use baker yeast your wine will tasty nasty as fuck, like rotten eggs in some cases I've heard and will be half as potent. I got a packet of wine yeast for a buck at the local brewing supply store that'll be enough yeast for up to 50L. It's cheap.

>> No.164146

>>164143
I dont filter my wine. I consider the ghetto process of filtering out the yeast through a cheesecloth or coffee filters as a potential vector for contamination. Idon't want to buy the equipment to filter properly. And i'm lazy. I guess it'd be fine in a clean apartment. but unless you're carrying your wine to a party or something (ie shaking it about) just let the yeast settle to the bottom for 4 days or so in the fridge and dont shake it and It'll taste fine. I also add some gelatin before i put it in the fridge, just a pinch, the gelatin helps force the yeast down to the bottom out of the way and improves flavour. If you are taking your wine somewhere though filtering is a good idea, do it profesionally by transferring from one container to another via a tube or something i dunno google it.

How long does it take? About 20 days. When it stops bubbling toss in a dash of gelatin and put it in the fridge for 3-4 days to let the yeast settle. Gelatin optional but I find it helps. I buy gelatin at the bulk barn and its super cheap.

The taste? Not bad at all. I've been using some cheap presidents choice grape-cranberry and i quite like it. $8 for a bottle of 750ml 8% wine is the cheapest wine at my lcbo. This homemade is about $1.50 for 1L of 12% or so. totally worth it.

>> No.164150

>>164143
>def need to buy a filter,

meant to say airlock

>> No.164197

I use bentonite clay, my friend ships it to me from Mississippi, takes about a week, clarifies beautifully.

>> No.164291

>>163801
Reported, info on drug manufacturing is illegal on this board.

>> No.164338

its really tempting to homebrew now because of all these threads, but i wouldnt know the first thing about it

>> No.164344

>>164291
not drug trafficking.

>> No.164347

Roll some paper in a straw and put it into the lid.

>> No.164349

>>163846
>>what part would make me sick? im not putting in anything i cant eat alone, obviously yeast would be uncomfortable, but if i strained the rest off i don't see the problem

It's not a matter of what part will make you sick. The sugar an other ingredients in the juice are a food for more than just yeast. Bacteria, mold, and other nasty stuff CAN AND WILL grow in the juice given the chance. There are various common strains out there that will make you sick or worse yet, KILL YOU. Bad flavor is the least of your worries. Ever been somewhere where after a party someone misses a beer bottle behind a couch or something for a few days? Mold and bacteria will take that bitch over so fast you wouldn't believe it. Not to fear, some basic sterilization and that good old airlock will protect you.

>> No.164364

>>163801

Sure, if you like rancid grape juice everywhere and shards of glass embedded in your walls.

>> No.164368

>>164338
It's not hard at all.

Even just getting some juice from the store and turning it into hooch is pretty simple. Lot of fags on here make it more complicated than it needs to be, but it's quick an easy.

Plus it gets you fucked up for very cheap.

>> No.164379

>>164291
Everything here is totally legal officer, we keep our brews to under 200 gallons sir, and yes, there are two adults on the premises.

>> No.164405

whats the go with brewing methanol. does this happen or can you only get meth if youre distilling?

a while back i was interested in brewing some beer so i went to a local brewing shop, they had this deal where they would test anything for free. i dont know what they were testing for but it couldnt hurt knowing what youre drinking

>> No.164430

>>164405
Correct, only if you're distilling. Even then it won't be in toxic amounts. It'll be mostly in the first few ounces of your product-just throw it out.

>> No.164448

Thats a good way to make a bottle bomb, it will blow up eventually because that bottle is not meant to hold pressurized liquids.

If you want to start making legit wine making look for 5 gallon kits online. Wine is more expensive to make, but you can start with beer if you're concerned with fucking it up.

I go through Northern Brewer and Midwest Supply. Start there, do some research, get a kit, pick what you want to make and start on it.

If you do want to start with wine straight up you will need a secondary glass fermentor and it will probably have to sit for awhile before you're able to bottle it.