[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 1.84 MB, 4032x3024, IMG_20171020_232857.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1632319 No.1632319 [Reply] [Original]

So it looks like I'll be moving into a larger house and I'll have room enough to finally use my desk I picked up years ago off of CL and has been sitting in storage (thus a fairly old picture)
So my plan is to, remove any rust, clean, repaint, replace locking hardware and the feet hardware along with possibly replacing the wooden top and adding a keyboard drawer.
I have a rough idea how I plan on doing it but in particular I'm having trouble finding a good way to remove the rust and finding feet, which was essentially a bolt with a wide flat top. Any ideas on those along with a possible replacement top would be great.

>> No.1632331

>>1632319
From the looks of the office desk, in the photo, the top is an MDF board with the cheap formica. You can get formica or the other knockoffs of various colors, textures and gloss. Just be careful with the adhesive. The feet can be easily found on websites such as McMaster-Carr or Ebay, depending on the size of the bolt and threading.

You can also buy solid wood top for that desk (also McMaster-Carr), if your budget allows for it. You can remove the rust with a scotch brite pad and the stainless steel cleaner that they still at the market.

>> No.1632344

>>1632331
>MDF board with the cheap formica.
Nah, the tops on these desks are particle board, some have actual wood veneer, some are just heavy paper like laminate with wood grain printed on. The wear at the front edge suggests wood but the bottom right corner suggests paper. Hard to say from a photo.

>> No.1632371

>>1632344
It's the heavy paper, one of the edges started to peel away so I figured it was worth going all out and replacing

>> No.1633927

>>1632319
I have a bigger version of the desk (2 drawers on each side and a middle draw that I took out because of my height). Mine is made by Hon. It has some damage (bought it from my job for $35 along with a fucking cubicle with 9 desk for $5 that I thought I needed and some other shit). The cover for the desk top is like some thick stuff(?) the top has a few chips and the front side of the desk top is missing. What did you use (if you have yet) to fix it?

>> No.1634303

>>1633927
Nothing yet sadly, I'm still in the middle of the move, the board is sturdy enough so I'm thinking of doing wood veneer but I'll cross that road when I come to it