Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

2017/01/28: An issue regarding the front page of /jp/ has been fixed. Also, thanks to all who contacted us about sponsorship.

/diy/ - Do-It-Yourself

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 100 KB, 1300x1009, stick-figures-house-big-tits.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
1627988 No.1627988 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

Sup /diy/

Just bought my first house. Any tips?

>> No.1628036

>asking for tips AFTER buying the house

whoo boy.

>> No.1628040

Look at the report that your home inspector prepared for you. It should have a list of things to fix.

>> No.1628043

Next time it rains get up in the attic and look for leaks. Take pictures, even if you don't think you need them because 7 months from now your gonna be like ,hmmmm I need to look at this again but I would rather not climb back in there. Take pictures of every God dam thing. Take pictures of the fucking living room, the kitchen even the shitter. You never know when you need to compare something. "Hm that looks a little bit different I think but I don't know wish I had a picture"

Do not buy anything from Sherwin Williams. Fucking triple priced fucks

Your renovations should only consist of installing items,. "I could make that myself cheaper,". No you fucking can't, not without a god damn factory. You can only save money on installation labor.

Oversize all your electric shit.

Only hire a plumber for drain issues. And only if the drain is unaccessible (burried in dirt or concrete) otherwise plumbing is retard easy.

Use only water based paint. Fuck oil. It expensive,smelly,hard to clean and yellows.

Alex painters caulk.

Get a miter saw.

>> No.1628046

>>1628040
Fuckn fuck your inspection report, I know you had to get one to qualify for a loan, but unless he has x Ray vision he can't tell you anything that you need. If shit looks fucked then it's fucked. He's only in it for the quick money.

>> No.1628047

>>1628046
You may as well use the report as a punch list for a few things to get started on. Op had to pay for it anyway.

Not everyone can recognize out of the ordinary shit, or why would Op need to ask you for advice. In other words, eat a bag of dicks.

>> No.1628050

>>1628047
Op has eyes and can in fact see if there is a moldy spot on the ceiling. If you blindly accept an inspection without thoroughly going through the house yourself you will be fucked. It's fine if you don't like me or my opinion, I'm not here to help you, I'm here to offer op advice.

>> No.1628052

>>1628050
I agree with you that op should have done a thorough job looking over the house before putting in an offer, and should already have an idea of what needs addressing. Using the report he had to pay for anyhow is all I was saying. What outlets are wired wrong, which beams have dry rot, where the ice dams are, and such. Why ignore it just cause the inspector made a quick 300 bucks? You use the damn report as a bargaining chip during negotiations anyway.

>> No.1628053

Dont believe the jew and his lies.

>> No.1628054

>>1628053
Shalom

>> No.1628056

>>1628052
Because if fucko the inspector showed up in a bad mood with somewhere better to be and pencil whipped a bunch of boxes for a check, then his inspection is useless.

Because if fucko the inspector is a fucking idiot and doesn't know how to read a moisture reader correctly than his inspection is useless

Because if fucko the inspector doesn't work exclusively in your town then he's not up to current codes and his inspection is fucking useless.

There is a reason these fucking faggots don't stay in business for long. Can't come back and say "well fucko the clown LLC said it wad goodbye go" sure fucko is still doing business but maybe this year it's fucko with a capital o. Technically a different business.

>> No.1628058

I'm just telling you from a lifetime of experience. I have bought many houses and you clearly have not. Fucko the clown is a legal requirement. I understand why he does it. I don't blame him for doing it. He may even be a cool person. But he does not give a shit about your house

>> No.1628059

>>1628056
That's a lot of ifs. But you are right. Burn the report in the front yard! Every single inspector is a useless twat hell bent on fucking you over and cashing the check. The sellers realtor bought him off anyway. The game was rigged from the start! The roof is gonna fucking cave in tomorrow!

>> No.1628060

>>1628058
Not a requirement where I am at. But OK, it is a useless scam. Everyone is Bob fucking Vila, and has seen every God damn episode of this old house.

>> No.1628063

>>1628060
It's a requirement unless your paying cash. Banks will not issue credit unless it's been inspected. You can do whatever u want. OP. Get an inspection. But look at the house yourself. The inspector is going to half ass it so disregard his report. Why do you think he issues the bank a copy? Have you ever looked at becoming an inspector. It's like a 45 minute online course it requires zero field experience. A 12 year old could do it.

>> No.1628065

>>1628059
Jesus the realator can not have a relationship with the inspector, not on paper anyways but yes it does happen under the table.

>> No.1628069

>>1628052
The people selling the house or building know the condition of it and usually will not be suaded by an inspection report.

>> No.1628072

>>1628063
Appraisal is not inspection. Inspection is not required, at least never by my lenders. I find your assertion that inspection being required by the mortgage lender to be spurious. My inspector has never given a copy to the bank unless they paid him too. I Have used the inspection reports to chisel some consessions out of the sellers. If you chose to ignore the opportunity, that is on you.

>> No.1628074

>>1628065
Yes, I was being sarcastic.

>> No.1628075

>>1628072
Na you have never bought a building. You are wrong and I'm going to bed. I have 2 apartment complexes and 3 empty lots to look at tommorow.

Why are you trying to fuck OP?

>> No.1628077

>>1628075
Inspection is not required by the lender as a norm. USDA loans aside. You are wrong. Goodnight sweet prince, you are a wonderful real estate mogal and I bow to your landlording prowess.

>> No.1628229

>>1628077
*mogul

>> No.1628250

>>1627988
>Just bought my first house.
post details
>Any tips?
I bet so. We will judge you after you post some fucking pics.

>> No.1628381

>>1627988
I hope you spent only 50-75% of your total house budget on the purchase, because you'll gonna need that in the next couple years.

>> No.1628418

>>1627988
Sell it. Hope you are prepared to handyman. Lol. Fix it up and sell it. If you live there you can get an fha loan at 3.5% down and then rent or sell it in 2 years after your fix it up

>> No.1628419

>>1628043
BASED HOMEOWNER.

All solid advice. If i had a dime for every time i had to crawl under a house to look at some shit id already seen 3 times id have 3 million dollars.

>> No.1628420

>>1628060
Some of us have tho...

>> No.1628422

>>1628072
My bank gave me a mortgage with no inspection. Just an appraisal. But their same branch office 20 miles down the road did when i used a house for the down payment because of equity loans

>> No.1628424

>>1628077
FUCK YEAH ME TOO. Gonna be some sweet deals when anon fucks himself on the incoming crash

>> No.1628426

>>1628043
Huh, this is pretty great. Any place where I could read more stuff like this? Like a DIY homeowners site / book or something? I'd love to get a bit into it.

>> No.1628633

>>1628056
Literally your entire argument can be said for any service you can hire someone for. Of course if the guy is a dumbass he's going to do a bad job. That's why you don't hire a dumbass to do the inspection, you hire someone who actually knows their shit.

>> No.1628637

>>1627988
If your sewer lines are old cast iron just get them replaced now. Same with water and gas mains. Also live in the house for a while before you start making changes. Helps you prioritize.

>> No.1628930

>>1628633
Yeah but with inspectors in particular they are all morons, if they had any other skills they would not be inspectors.

Ask one someday. They will tell you how dumb they are.

>> No.1629072
File: 27 KB, 600x600, rs=w 600,h 600.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

If it ain't broke don't fuck with it. If the decor looks dated repaint it. If you find yourself somewhere in the house with a need - say for example nowhere to put your bathroom shit, then put up a bathroom cabinet. If something in your house shits you over and over, then do something. Get 3 quotes always. Use tradesmen with references. Learn about colour coordination - the wrong coloured couch in the perfect room will ruin it. If work needs to be done - assess if you can do some of it. The more you can do, the less someone else has to do and the more money you save.

>> No.1629084

Grats OP, I just put an offer on my first place. I fortunately am the son of a GC and we renovated my childhood home so I know what fuckery to look for. Got my inspection and basically just confirmed what I thought myself, but to the advice in this thread "if it looks fucked it is" and "take pics" I can vouch for these. Also don't spend fuck tons of money out the gate on the place, take care of things needed to make livable, then get you a shop or garage going so you can tend the other projects. Don't buy expensive designer shit, there are plenty of mid priced materials and fixtures that you can update with and be just fine. Hire out shit you don't have any clue about, or study the shit and the code and proceed with caution.

>> No.1629085

>>1628052
This, bargain that shit.

>> No.1629093

>>1628053
OY VEY GOYIM SHUT THE FUCK UP

>> No.1629110

How old of a house?

>> No.1629330

If you have a basement and think you got alot of mositure, get a fucking dehumidfier thats rated the space you're putting it in. Buy a couple if you have a big basement.

>> No.1630833

Water is the enemy of every house.
Look everywhere regularly for leaks.

Know where your main water shutoff valve is and
make sure you can open and close it quickly and easily.

>> No.1630845

Get Insurance

>> No.1630846

>>1628426
kiketube

>> No.1630859

>>1629072
Call your insurance company for recommendations on contractors. They know people who will do the job, and for a decent price.

>> No.1630936

>>1628040
home inspectors are useless species. you only hire them for a peace of mind (but you are fooling yourself) in case there is something obvious like a missing roof. they usually notice and make a huge deal out of cosmetic issues (to justify their fee) but they can't really notice any hidden issues that you will uncover later.

>> No.1631178

>>1628422
It's all rolled in. Pull out your pathetic excuse of a child's school binder worth of book keeping and read your original mortgage,credit,or buyers guide. It will have an inspection.

Or you could be correct "all it had was an appraisal" done by who. Some retarded bitch with an LMS home inspection cert.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action