[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 91 KB, 400x547, rubber-tree6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
162140 No.162140 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone on here have any experience or knowledge relating to rubber trees and harvesting rubber?

Feel free to discuss!

My cousin has a few hectares of mature trees and he is currently bleeding/tapping them.

We've run into a little problem with the storage of the rubber.

The thing is, after you tap the rubber, you place it into a concrete "mold" into the ground for it to be shaped into it's ideal block size and for the water to be drained out. After this it will be stored in another concrete "pen" filled with water until it can be shipped to a factory or to be "cooked" or processed.

Our problem is, that during this storing process in the "pen," a crapload of mosquito larvae are spawned. We were trying to look for ways of preventing this without constantly changing the water (the area is in a remote mountain range, no running water). We thought about the possibility of chlorine, but we are unsure whether or not this would damage the rubber. Also, covering it would be out of the question as it needs to be aired out.

Feel free to suggest any methods!
Thanks gys

>> No.162142

Cover them with mosquito net?

>> No.162143

>>162142
Jesus tittyfucking christ.

Sometimes the answers are so simple...

Thanks anon.

>> No.162203

You could goes as far as building a wooden frame large enough to cover your pens and stretch the mosquito netting over the frame securing with staples. Once you clean out your infestation and start using the screens you shouldn't see anymore mosquitoes.

>> No.162255

Your rubber will be unstable after you mold it.
You have to add chemicals to it in order to be firm. Just saying.

>> No.162258

Some anon already mentioned mosquito nets, that's probably the best solution. If they infest a pool of water and you want them out, there's also guppies...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guppy

>However, guppies have been introduced to many different countries on all continents, except Antarctica. Sometimes this has occurred accidentally, but most often as a means of mosquito control, the hope being that the guppies would eat the mosquito larvae, slowing the spread of malaria. In many cases, these guppies have had a negative impact on native fish faunas.[5]

>> No.162640

>>162255
Ah yes, I'm not very knowledgeable on that part of the process, but I'm sure they add the right chemicals, as he has someone in charge of this. I just wanted to help him out with the mosquito problem.

>>162258
We were thinking about adding some kind of fish, but if you see the water in the pens it looks really really dirty and smells really awful. I'm not quite sure fish would survive.

>>162203
Great idea anon, thanks!