[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 45 KB, 500x420, camerafail.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
162080 No.162080 [Reply] [Original]

So I want to setup a CCTV security system to protect my cars and shit.
Any suggestions for a decent 4 channel DVR with cameras?
I need night vision, replaceable hard drive(s), motion detection, email (on alarm etc, maybe send a photo of what was detected) and web access capabilities, etc.

Budget of around $1000-1500 or so.

>> No.162098

Get yourself a computer and throw four video input cards into it or use webcams or ethernet cameras. There's some free software out there for managing a security camera system like this.

>> No.162220

You can build a pretty cheap system with a PC capable of running Windows XP that has a PCI slot free. Here's one I set up for a recent client that is still working very well,

>Lorex QLR460 PC Surveillance Digital Video Recorder - H.264, Internet Remote Viewing, 4 Channels
$49.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5974392

>Lorex Single Channel Wireless Camera 2-Pack
$239.99
http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-1834-lw2110pk2b-lorex-single-channel-wireless-camera-2-pack.aspx

The client has 4 wireless cameras in remote places. I had to make a couple wokfi dishes to extend the range between the cameras and the receiver in some cases. Of course, you can use far cheaper wired cameras if you want to.

>> No.162365

Yeah, I'll definitely use wired cameras, as I'll be running cat5e data cables around for the computers at the same time (electricianfag).

I have a spare Intel D201GLY2A Mini ATX motherboard here, I might see if it'll handle this application and see what I can slap together.

>> No.164505

Hmm. Bumping for interest.

>> No.164520

Analog? What is this 1830?

IP cameras + PC

>> No.164525

>>164520
>Full Wired or simple wireless system
>Max $400

>IP camera system
>$200-$400 for a single camera

>> No.164589

>>164525
>wireless
Analog wireless is fucking worthless.
>Max $400
for a complete POS
>$200-$400 for a single IP camera
more like <$100

>> No.164803

I'd say keep an eye on Woot. Every once in a while they'll have a good deal on a camera and DVR package.

>> No.164824

Lorex is crap probably the shittest shit u can buy, anyone that wastes money on that gets what u pay for Crap. Buy good stuff... Funny thing is that the stores that sell this crap have the good shit watching there stuff not the Chinese Crap. So get good stuff... You will thank me later...

>> No.164829

Ip cameras are good when u have good light...They suck in low light situations, you need an decent cameras.. Tell where u want them and about how much light and I will help you....dont get a pc and put a card in it u will have nothing but problems, this is what amateurs do than spend the rest of their lives fixing that shit

>> No.165129

^^^^ This is what I want to avoid. (OP here).
I need good cameras (under eaves looking across the yard and in the open carport watching my cars etc).
They need to be good at night too, IR spotlights are a definite option if needed.

I used to do a bit of CCTV a few years back (Military installs with fibre modems back to racks of HDD's and pro level, ultra secure DVR's etc) but I did no design of the systems and it was 5+ years ago so I don't remember much.

I was thinking of maybe Sony HAD sensor cameras, or maybe something along the lines of a NESS brand (or whatever they're rebadged from) wide dynamic range camera (had good images from those in the past).
But they are analogue, and I like the idea of a full digital system.

Wired is definite, and as I am an electrician, I have full access to tools and equipment to wire the cameras in properly.

Is there a CCTV system with a DVR that is all digital from the cameras all the way back?
Failing that, some good quality IP cameras I can start looking at?