[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 101 KB, 1024x768, stalker artifact detec.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
161934 No.161934 [Reply] [Original]

Hey, /diy/. I was looking for some help trying to identify something that might be easily modifiable into one of these artifact detectors from STALKER for an attempt at gun-less stalker cosplay.

So far I've looked at EMF detectors, laser measures, things like that, but I'm out of ideas as far as similar objects go. If you guys know of anything like this or can think of an easy way to make something like this, functional or not, that'd be a huge help.

>> No.161936
File: 47 KB, 640x480, stalker artifact detector2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was thinking this one might be easier, as far as finding a sort of look alike goes.

>> No.161952 [DELETED] 

I've got some old lab instruments that meet the general description.

If you want to build your own I suggest you get a metal box and put a flange like this on it for the screen:
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8067571/Tail-Lights/4-in.-Stainless-Steel-Trailer-Light-Flan
ge-Mount

You can make a really ugly hole with a drill and file if you use a flange because it covers the edges. Behind the flange put a piece of clear plastic with some info drawn on it; light it up with an LED. Throw a bunch of switches and indicator lights on the rest of the box.

>> No.161953
File: 668 KB, 1024x1365, mon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've got some old lab equipment that sort of meets the description.

If you want to build your own I suggest getting a flange like this and putting it in a metal box.
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8067571/Tail-Lights/4-in.-Stainless-Steel-Trailer-Light-Flan
ge-Mount

You can make a really ugly hole with a drill and file and it will still look professional because the flange covers the edges. Use an LED to light up a piece of plastic with graphics on it for the display. Put switches and indicator lights in other places.

>> No.161998
File: 61 KB, 324x642, 775052_7267744_trimmed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The newer one looks like one of the more modern RFID readers or barcode scanners, but those aren't so cheap. You could probably start with a cheap multimeter and get reasonably close for not much effort, but nothing's going to look exactly perfect unless you scratch build an enclosure.

>> No.162320

something like this might do it.

http://www.diytools.co.uk/black-decker-bds303-automatic-3-in-1-stud-metal-live-wire-detector.html

http://reviews.productwiki.com/black-decker-bullseye-bdl190s/

Otherwise get hold of old analog multimeters, or new cheap multimeters ( look for them at Dealextreme)

If you wanted to make some abnormalities that could be found, perhaps rig a small fm transmitter, in the abnormality. the transmitter should be really low power, otherwise you would pick them up to far away.

then make a simple rf range meter, and couple it to the voltmeters.

1.2.3 you have got yourself a abnormality that you can find with your tracker.

second option is to buy two wire wound ferritrods or wind them yourself, then connect it to a astabile multi-vibrator (NE555) find the frequency where one the coils resonate, this means maximum voltage across them at a certain frequency(perhaps add a small capacitor in series with the coil 50nF to 200nF to alter the resonance frequency and increase the distance of transmission)

couple the second coil to the voltmeter at AC, and then tune this to have the highest possible voltage at a given distance. this is done by either adding a capacitor of appropriate value or by adding/removing windings.

>> No.162324
File: 23 KB, 440x440, A30NH.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.162339

Arduino + GPS module + small LCD screen + a round bezel. (or alternatively, a few dozen green SMD LED's arranged in a circle behind some frosted acrylic, actually now that I think about it this is a better idea.)

Probably looking at $80 ish, but you'll have built something genuinely useful. (Geo-caches are now artifacts and you can go stalking in the countryside)

>> No.163815

>>162320

For someone like me who has never into electronics, this is pretty intimidating. I'd like to try working out the first option though, that seems pretty neat, but where would I find these things?