[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 146 KB, 310x320, 1555464983727.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1599271 No.1599271 [Reply] [Original]

About to join the IBEW and I have a few questions for experienced anons, firstly, how did you guys get past the interview?
Secondly, how bad is the nepotism in the union business?
Thirdly, as an apprentice do you actually learn anything outside of the mandated classroom hours or is it just manual labor and being a workhorse for the others?
Fourthly, would it be better if I stuck with the union after finishing my apprenticeship or would it be better if I just left for another place?
Fifthly, are union balls and events worth going to?

>> No.1599316

>>1599271

> firstly, how did you guys get past the interview?

not be a crazy person? If you whine about women you will 100% get rejected yet people CONTINUE to do this despite being told not to do it by the interviewer immediately before the interview.

>Thirdly, as an apprentice do you actually learn anything outside of the mandated classroom hours or is it just manual labor and being a workhorse for the others?

no and it's why the interview is mostly just a formality to check that you're not going to be a liability. Have fun cleaning up ciggy butts and bending conduit

>Fourthly, would it be better if I stuck with the union after finishing my apprenticeship or would it be better if I just left for another place?

yes to the former (staying) but this is a recent change: last year Trump removed tax exemptions for travelling workers. Before FY 2018 (which ended last week) you could put things like gas, insurance, and depreciation as nontaxable business expenses if you were a travelling worker. Trump removed this. Thus if you want to travel around for work, you need to get serious about managing your gas use and car mileage because you will be taxed for it. Mass transit fares (including Amtrak, which is easier to bring tools on than flights and won't get your shit stolen like Greyhond) usually can be written off depending on who you're working for when, so if you do want to travel you have to really look at the costs.

Also: I dunno if travellers' housing costs (eg a hostel) are exempt

>> No.1599529

>>1599271
how does nepotism exist in the union? i thought once you got on a list you couldnt be skipped?

>> No.1599562

>>1599529

you can't but it's not about being on the list, it's about who skips which jobs to get the best work and which place they're working at when. Travelers vs. non-travelers is where the fights start because it's when people accuse each other of scabbing.

>> No.1599628

>>1599271
>Fourthly, would it be better if I stuck with the union after finishing my apprenticeship or would it be better if I just left for another place?
There are advantages to both, it really depends on the company you work for. You do not get to negotiate your own contract and you can get sucked into a strike, but you get a certain amout of security. If you work for a company where the union negotiates the contract, learn that contract as you would if you negotiated it yourself, my father got fucked by the contract IBEW negotiated when he had to take a non-union job in the company he worked for due to health reasons.

>> No.1599633
File: 38 KB, 509x499, 1552713028958.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1599271
>firstly, how did you guys get past the interview?
Just tried to be as honest as possible. Told them I have no previous experience, but I'd be willing to study my ass off and work as hard as I can, as long as they gave me a chance, even if they put me at the bottom of the books (they did)
>Secondly, how bad is the nepotism in the union business?
I havent noticed much of it yet, but I've only been apprenticing for about 7 months.
>Thirdly, as an apprentice do you actually learn anything outside of the mandated classroom hours or is it just manual labor and being a workhorse for the others?
I learned more on the job than I do in class. So far we're just doing bullshit book learning & circuit theory crap. We've done "hands-on" lab learning maybe a handful of times in the past 8 months. I learned how to bend saddles & offsets on the job, not in the school.
All the old boomers tell me "stay union cuz of muh retirement benefits". I'll take their word for it, because I'm not planning on Social Security being around by the time I reach retirement age. Depending on your local, you can apparently get more than one retirement plan/benefit. Also not having to pay for my own health insurance is pretty sweet (even if the plan sucks).
>Fifthly, are union balls and events worth going to?
My local doesn't really do these afaik

>> No.1599655

>>1599271
who the fuck designed that patch? it looks like a bleached chinese asshole.

>> No.1600338

>>1599271
1st year apprentice reporting in. Local 11

>firstly, how did you guys get past the interview?
Told them straight up I was a manager in the past ( I was ).

>Secondly, how bad is the nepotism in the union business?
Besides the guy working as a CW who's the direct relative of the boss/contractor, there's not much that I've seen.

Depends on the contractor. 4th and 5th year apprentices are treated like journeymen if they're skilled enough. I'm a 1st year and we've been told to orchestrate wire pulls, running mesh wire cable tray, pre-fab lighting with other 1st year apprentices and light Journeymen supervision. My contractor is good in that we're exposed to bending rigid from day 1. I think most of 1st year apprentices can bend 90's and basic offsets.

>Fourthly, would it be better if I stuck with the union after finishing my apprenticeship or would
it be better if I just left for another place?
Lots of guys leave. Money is good with the union. Most people stay in the union for travel purposes, and the healthcare benefits for the family. Non-union guys are as sharp and worked real good.

>Fifthly, are union balls and events worth going to?
Never gone.