[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 39 KB, 554x403, I suck at math.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1599013 No.1599013 [Reply] [Original]

Archimedes: "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."
But i just want to lift this log..
Any math faggots here who could help? I'm building log trolley to keep logs back end up from forest and road surface. Front end is chained and lifted by tractor, so by my math only 50% of the weight lets say roughly 150kg is on this contraption. Idea is to chain log to upside down U frame(orange) that has 14 inc spare car wheels (those max 80km/h or 50miles/h ones) and hubs and use green lever with operator weight to lift the log if all possible easily against the log and tie it to log with strap or chain.

Now how long orange and green dimension should be to this to work? For green dimension i have 1.9meters long pipe, but i can get longer long as it stays in reasonable dimensions like lets say 3meters at absolute max, logs generally are 0.4meters in diameter and i would like to have around 0.2meters of ground clearance at minimum

If this wont work in math i can always use some ratchet winch to lift the log, but it would be faster and cheaper to do it like this.

>> No.1599025
File: 9 KB, 560x246, shopping.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1599013
You want a lot jack, does it all in one simple cheap tool.

Not a huge fan of the version in pic related, but it would likely to the job. Forestry supply places will off better version.

>> No.1599027

>>1599025
That is a log jack, ducking phone posted here.

>> No.1599030

>>1599013
ok so
this is a class 2 lever
clockwise moments == anticlockwise moments
force x distance == force x distance
150kg (log 'force) x orange length == 50kg input x (distance from hub centre to end of green bar, use triangle calculator -> sqrt( green bar length squared + orange bar length squared)

based on this you can ask wolfram alpha e.g. to plot you orange bar length vs green bar length, look at the shaded table to see valid useable values:

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=150+*+o+%3C+50+*+sqrt(o%5E2+%2B+g%5E2)&assumption=%7B%22C%22,+%22o%22%7D+-%3E+%7B%22Variable%22%7D&assumption=%22UnitClash%22+-%3E+%7B%22o%22,+%7B%22AngularDegrees%22,+%22dflt%22%7D%7D

>> No.1599031

>>1599030
>this is a class 2 lever
ignore this part but i'm pretty sure the maths is correct.

>> No.1599046

>>1599025
I have something like that, but its only good for helping to tree fall when you put it on the cut and push to open up the cut.
"Log trolley" or what ever that is called is similar to trolleys that are used to move 4x4 cars with truck that can lift the front end. So this is only to transport logs from forest with out getting them dirty (i'm going to mill them for boards and saw mill guy is strict that there cant be much dirt etc that causes damage to his saw blades)

>>1599030
Thank you... i guess?O.o Now i just need to figure out how to utilize this information.
I have never even heard about wolfram alpha, so if orange is 0.4meters what the green would be to this to work? Sorry i'm a idiot, but i suck at math and even more so in advanced math like this.

>> No.1599053
File: 7 KB, 270x243, plot.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1599046
pay attention to this plot
look at the numbers along the bottom are green and numbers at the side are orange
the shaded area is what will work, the white bit will not work
ignore the negative numbers they don't make sense right
so where orange is 0.4, you look along the line from the left hand side where it says 0.4 (well, guess from where it says 0.5) look to the right where that horizontal line from 0.4 is in the shaded area, then look down to see the green number at the bottom.

so its shaded from -6 to -2, then white from -2 to 2, then shaded from 2 to 4 (and presumably 4+)
so for an orange pole of 0.4 you would need a green pole of less than -2 or greater than +2 to have your input be less than 50kg to lift a 150kg log. of course -2 doesn't make sense so just say 2.
so orange = 0.4m, green >= 2m
for example.

its kind of hard to see because the plot is small but thats all i have available to show you.
you can take the equation and plot it on paper yourself if you want lol.

>> No.1599057

>>1599046
>something like that
But clearly not an actual log jack, grab the log far enough in from the end to raise the end above trolley wheels, roll log with jack into its foot, wheel trolley next to log, roll it back and drop it on the trolley. It is a simple process and is standard practice, bet you can find dozens of videos on YouTube of people doing just this.

>> No.1599066
File: 33 KB, 500x332, atv.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

or you could stop going full retard and buy/make one of these

>> No.1599073

>>1599053
Thank you so much for in dept explanation, that helped a bunch! I usually do these by the eye so i was close to 0.5m O and 2m G setup. Probably going to try find a 2.5 pipe for green to make it even easier.

>>1599057 Aa now it get it, completely different tool i was thinking. Yes i def neet to put this on the look out list if i can find one locally or make one. Not much use in this job, but on fire wood cutting very useful, specially thinking chain saws chain life in rocky forest we have.

>>1599066 Well essentially that is what i'm going for, but its coming to back end of the log, where front end is lifted by tractor. Nobody seem to be selling those locally and i'm on deadline. Actually past it hence why i need this thing ASAP, i was just not sure about the dimensions, hence i was asking about here and now, as i'm welding it together tomorrow.

Thanks annons for help, much appreciated!