[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 221 KB, 831x620, 7861306.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1597763 No.1597763 [Reply] [Original]

I was given an old metal shed that has one wall damaged to much to repair, and I have enough OSB to replace that wall. If I prime with oil or alkyd primer, then two coats of latex exterior flat, it should last for years as long as I paint it every five to 10 years, right?

pic related is a stock image where they left the OSB unfinished and it looks like a large rotten patch on the near wall, so I plan to paint mine as soon as possible.

>> No.1597783

>>1597763
You call this a thread you fucking windowlicker?

>> No.1597787

>>1597783
>You call this a thread you fucking windowlicker?

It could be full of lively discussion if you let it blossom.

>> No.1597798

>>1597763
>I was given an old metal shed that has one wall damaged to much to repair, and I have enough OSB to replace that wall.
if its a metal shed then replace it with metal?
get a roof/cladding sheet.
any kind of sheet is the worst wood to leave outside because bits of wood glued together, no matter how good the glue, will separate.
you can get some actual bits of wood like for a fence or something that can get wet no problem, and then dry out, and be absolutely fine. use that if anything.
>latex exterior flat
flat what? is this a kind of coffee or something?
>s long as I paint it every five to 10 years
probably a little more often than that i would guess.
>it looks like a large rotten patch on the near wall,
that is a shadow of a tree.

>serious shed thread
>osb
no.

>> No.1597849

I used osb on the roof of a tree house 4/12 pitch
It lasted 17 yrs without anything... paint it with latex and it will be fine

>> No.1597903

>>1597763
Are you in America?
A shed like that, but clad in tyvek and vinyl siding, would fetch $50-100k.
In SF, you could get $300-500k.

>> No.1598544

>>1597763
>large rotten patch
Its a shadow of a small tree.

>> No.1598563

> it should last for years

Not from my experience. Maybe 2-5 years. Your mileage may vary. For the cost of the OSB the time it lasts may be worth it but it wont last.

To make it last it needs barrier membranes: preferably Tyvek and 2 layers of tar paper. or just the 2 layer of tar paper.

AND a siding. Could be old housing siding, stucco, roof shingles, Reclaimed fencing used as siding. They make a hardi board type material for siding that Im sure would outlast OSB protected by paint. Never used it so I dont know what its rated for.

Since you're asking this question you`ll probably fuck it up and it will fall apart eventually. That's ok you`ll learn from your mistakes and the importance of doing it right the first time and get the time it takes to fall apart for the cost of whatever you decide.

Go ahead with OSB and paint if that's your decision just know it wont last long.

>> No.1598681

>>1597763
That shed is in perfect condition.
The dark spot is a fucking shadow.

Also, prime with shellac primer.
It's the only universal primer that will work under every circumstance.

>> No.1598682

>>1597903
Kek'd

Most of America is rural.

Get outside of major cities, sheds like that are worth nothing

>> No.1599404
File: 851 KB, 2272x1704, framing with osb smh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1597763
>OSB
>it should last for years as long as I paint it every five to 10 years, right?

I want to slap you for your own good.

>> No.1599411

>>1597763
>it looks like a large rotten patch on the near wall
You absolutely cannot be serious.