[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 31 KB, 466x408, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1595631 No.1595631 [Reply] [Original]

So other than the standard xacto blade, are any of these other ones useful? or just gimmicks?

>> No.1595645

>>1595631
i dabble in Custom figures, and find a use for each. the first and 6th make good scalpels if you need smooth cuts.2, 3 and 5 are good for cleaving on straight guillotine style cuts. the standard acute triangle blade is good for angular cuts. never found a good use for the last 2 though. 9 is just an inverse 1 and 6, so i guess long straight flat cuts. 10 is for precision cuts, but its like using a scalpel to skin a buck. you could do it, but muliple tools in the kit will do a much more effective job. its the manlet of Xacto

>> No.1595646

I have a set of these that i use for building/prepping my wh40k models. The thin handle one with a normal blade is good for most things. curved blade for more robust cuts. for thick material they you have to chop at or cut hard i like the red handle with a the flat bade, 3rd from the left. other than that, there isnt much differentiation in the blades. maybe for different clearances, but like i said, it mostly comes down to material hardness and detail.

>> No.1595680

>>1595631
I had that set once upon a time, except the fat handle was pure aluminum without the plastic. They are perfectly useful and the various blades are quite useful for many carving tasks, but they are just easy money and exploiting people fear of sharpening. Buy the kit, it you use it regularly, get proper carving chisels and learn to sharpen them, you will save money in the long run and have a wider selection of blades to choose from.

>> No.1595724

>>1595631
they're all useful, and they're all gimmicks

>> No.1596344

how do you cut with the flat ones? do you press it down on something, and lightly tap on the handle with something small like a wrench to chisle through something?