Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

2017/01/28: An issue regarding the front page of /jp/ has been fixed. Also, thanks to all who contacted us about sponsorship.

/diy/ - Do-It-Yourself

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 32 KB, 522x504, 91o9AJewTPL._UX522_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
1593705 No.1593705 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

what's the best way to go about learning woodworking? i would like to transition to professionally making furniture. are those $100 local classes (((novice cash grabs))) or would that be a legitimately good place to start? or should i look into (((college classes))) // trade school? (im only 22)
sorry if this is dumb i have a lot of anxiety and over think everything :(( sorry if this should belong on advice but no one really ever goes there

>> No.1593711

>>1593705
>((()))

>> No.1593722

>>1593705
buy cheap tools on craigslist with the guidance of 4chin/reddit/youtube and watch youtube videos for some basics.

It is easier now than ever before to get into it. The used market on craigslist/facebook blows traditional classified ads out of the water. You can buy an excellent circular saw, router, joiner, and planer for less than $200 on the used market if you take your time shopping. The content on youtube is so detailed and varied that you can literally learn any technique far faster than back in the day with books. It's almost as good as having someone in person teaching you.

>> No.1593730

>>1593705
You need to grow up before you try going into business for yourself. I'd love to see how you are with customers, based on your OP.

>> No.1593734

cringe

>> No.1593738

>>1593730
I definitely dont act the same way irl don't worry I'm also definitely not going to rush into making my own business I'm definitely going to take my time to sharpen my skills and perfect my craft and make a full plan before going at it alone

>> No.1593740

Professional cabinet and furniture builder here. There are some considerations before starting any business. #1. Is there demand for the product you want to sell? #2. Do you have the requisite skill set. #3. Are you financially able to properly fund a startup?

The advice above to just buy tools and dive in is pretty solid if you want to learn the woodworking part. You will also need a professional shop space, marketing and accounting skills, and a temperment to deal with customers. The last is a big deal because when you're self employed you LIVE in an environment where people want to separate your work from your wages. It can be difficult if you are a pushover or worry too much or really just lack interpersonal skills.

I would suggest getting a job in a factory or manufacturing environment so you can learn first hand about organizing a workspace for efficient work flow, tolerances, and a manufacturing mindset. Because ultimately, unless you intend to do artsy gallery work and starve you'll need to learn to build a product as fast as possible while maintaining acceptable quality.

>> No.1593744

Pro again. Also want to add that being a craftsman can be incredibly satisfying work. My bread and butter has been custom kitchens. I use Draftsight and Sketchup to provide renderings and got certified by the NKBA as a designer. Building is the easy part, finishing and managing customers a little more challenging. But it's the bulk of my work. The less frequent furniture work is what I live for though. And sometimes, between commissions I do vanity projects or advertisement pieces for public spaces, benefit auctions, etc. That's when woodworking is fun, not a job.

>> No.1593746

>>1593740
Yeah I was thinking that too. To start in a manufacturing environment until I have everything figured out ten times over and all the skills i need ten times over. I'm way too anxious to just start a business willy nilly I'm.mostly just scared of getting passed over in manufacturing for being a female. I don't know if that's just me being anxious though.

>> No.1593750

>>1593744
>pro
>Sketchup

iM a PrOfeSsIoNaL

>> No.1593753

>>1593750
Sketchup Pro is a robust program, faggot. 3D rendering is the tip of the iceberg. Get back to me when you know how to use it to automatically cutlist parts parametrically.

>> No.1593755

>>1593753
How are you doing expansion analysis without a properly integrated FEA suite?

>> No.1593758

>>1593746
I'd guess opportunity will depend on several factors. Your ability to physically do the work and your aggressiveness about pursuing said opportunities.

Women in traditionally male occupations are always interesting. Just curious. No negative implications there.

>> No.1593759

>>1593746
Just build some shit and sell it on craigslist. Use etsy and Pinterest for ideas. Go from there.

>> No.1593768

>>1593755
I'm not sure what that means. But Google indicates FEA has to do with predicting reaction to stresses and I don't see how that is relevant to cabinets.

The custom shop I worked for 15 years ago uses Sketchup Pro as their secondary design software and cutlisting is part of their use. I don't know how. So when you do get back to me because I would like to.

>> No.1593770

>>1593768
Do you not care about how your joints behave when the wood expands with the temperature and humidity? What shop do you work at so I never buy your cabinets when it comes time to redo my kitchen.

>> No.1593774

>>1593770
I'm just trying to help someone who has questions about a business I know rather well not piss anyone off or get heckeled.

>> No.1593794

>>1593753
oh yeah, lots of manufacturers are switching over to ketchup because they have so much manufacturing experience and their own latest paremetric automatic cutlist feature.
Dude if you were making any money you would be able to afford th $1000/yr for Solidworks you LARPer.

>> No.1593804

>>1593794
I was paid to learn to use AutoCAD and the basics of Sketchup. Why switch to Solidworks and have to learn something new? Just to impress some dumbass on 4chan?

>thinks I'm LARPing about being a pro woodworker on an anonymous board

oh, the prestige. Let me bask.

I'm sorry you're jealous of someone who has a skill. It's not even a difficult skill to acquire. Just takes a little practice. Seriously, taking a run at me is pathetic. Maybe just be decent so you don't have to be embarrassed by your own behavior.

>> No.1593809

>>1593770
>t. pedantic dumbass

What 3d software did Chippendale use, fuckwit? Oddly, there are still LOTS of examples left! Even with them using older than Boomer tech! Now fuck off, adults are talking.

>> No.1593818

>>1593809
A professional uses technology to increase productivity and quality, instead of burying their head in the sand.

You use powered saws right? You not using proper cad and analysis is akin to an amish guy making furniture with hand saws. Yeah it may work but its hella wasteful.

>> No.1593825

>>1593818
Stop derailing the thread and chasing away people who are giving real answers to the OP. If you're not going to contribute, just lurk.

>> No.1593828

>>1593804
>Solidworks
>Learn

Lol, that shit is literally video game tier difficulty. That's why its so good, you can do everything without really knowing how.

>> No.1593850

>>1593818
I'd ask what you do for a living but it probably involves retail or government benefits. Enjoy trolling someone else you fucking mongoloid.

>> No.1593864

>>1593850
I'm a design engineer 2 at a fortune 500 company specializing in access equipment.

>> No.1593919

>>1593794
I work for Neapco making OEM and aftermarket driveline products. We make a lot of money off the shit we make, but in some work areas we use Raspberry Pis for desktop computers.

Companies can and will be cheap asses if they think they need to be.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action