Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

2017/01/28: An issue regarding the front page of /jp/ has been fixed. Also, thanks to all who contacted us about sponsorship.

/diy/ - Do-It-Yourself

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 38 KB, 700x700, gv12_04.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
1593315 No.1593315 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

What type of valve is best for daily use? I heard gate valves are NOT good for regular use

>> No.1593318

Gate valves are for on/off operation, fully open or closed.
Globe valves are more suitable for throttling applications.
Ball valves are for on / off operation, but many people still use them for throttling anyways.
There are special ball valves designed for throttling purposes.

>> No.1593321

>>1593318
I don't mean for throttling I mean for turning fully on and off once a day every day

>> No.1593328

>>1593315
The big thing that causes valve failure is lack of use. If you’re going to be using the valve every day, throw in a ball valve, it will be quicker and easier to operate.

>> No.1593343

>>1593321
A ball valve then is the best choice.

>> No.1593346

>>1593343
Thanks

>> No.1593481

>>1593315
Ball valves are not meant to be turned on and off every day. With a gate, the packing gland material can be replaced
When it starts leaking. Good luck with a ball valve.
Signed
A real licensed plumber.

>> No.1593496

>>1593481
>Ball valves are not meant to be turned on and off every day.

Really, mr. licensed plumber? How about once per week? Month? Year? What exactly do you think they are for?

>> No.1593519

>>1593496
He has a point, a gate valve is something you can repair, when a ball valve takes a shit it’s done. However if you’re turning the valve on and off every day, a gate valve will require a new packing much sooner, it wouldn’t surprise me if once a year the packing needed to be replaced on a cheaper import valve. On a ball valve the packing is made out of Teflon instead of rubber, and since it’s only a quarter turn it doesn’t get near the friction that a gate valve does. If you install a quality ball valve it’s going to last you a long time before the packing gives out, probably decades. We’re kind of splitting hairs here, either valve is going to work fine, gate might require a little more maintenance, ball isn’t repairable, but if the guy is smart enough to install a ball valve I’m sure he’ll be smart enough to replace it in 20 years when it shits out on him. I would use a ball valve on my house, personally.

>> No.1593533

>>1593481
after about 4 or 5 years of turning a ball valve on and off once or twice a day i think you could probably write off the cost of about what $5? to replace a ball valve vs the $? to replace the packing gland?
nobody knows because gate valve suck and you haveto spend ages turning them. ball valve fast as fuck

>> No.1593799

>>1593315
Licensed plumber here.
Get a switch and use a washing machine solenoid. Bonus points for pictures.

>> No.1593826

We use ball valves everyday at work and throw them 20ish times an hour sometimes. Sometimes we throttle them. They work fine.

>> No.1593840

>>1593481
real plumber here. gate valves are outdated trash that have no use.
replace the packing? why? a ball valve will fail in 20 years after daily use. oh no, gotta go buy another 20 dollar valve what a shame. with gate, enjoy replacing that shit every few years when you find that small puddle of water under it.

ball or bust you fucking hack fraud buster

>> No.1593858
File: 2.66 MB, 300x169, 1554420139540.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

The question seems to be how long do you intend to be involved with this valve and does its failure imply a major problem? KISS

>> No.1593868

>>1593840
Like everything else, gate valves are useful in some applications. Ball valves work better when used regularly, gate valves have a better chance of working after long periods without use. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve come across a ball valve that is completely seized up after being installed new less than ten years ago. Gate valves get a bad rap, mostly because everyone switched to ball valves 30 years ago, so a majority is ball valves people come across are new, and a majority of gate valves are old. Ball valves need exercise or they seize up, gate valves can go longer without being touched and still operate properly, although the difference seems to be more prevalent in bigger pipe/valve sizes, 1 1/4” and up.

>> No.1593946

What the fuck are you guys doing that requires turning a valve on and off multiple times a day?

>> No.1594084

>>1593533
>nobody knows because gate valve suck
They have their uses like when you get to bigger diameter pipe and higher pressures. Ever tried to open a 3 inch ball valve with 180psi differential on it? You'll fucking break the handle off before you open it. Gate valves give you more mechanical advantage. For example boiler stop valves are gate valves.

>> No.1594087

>>1593799
>Get a switch and use a washing machine solenoid.
Do this if you want to cause water hammer.

>> No.1594088

>>1593840
Since you're a plumber, your playing with low pressure child's play pipe sizes. Gate valves are what real men use once they get above certain pressures and diameter.

>> No.1594377
File: 34 KB, 600x600, zone valve.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>1593799
Or just get a water sprinkler zone valve.
They are high flow and won't hammer lines like a solenoid valve.
Fully rebuild-able and if you cobble up a 24VAC source they can be switched via a relay.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action