[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 275 KB, 640x360, fire2_33787176_ver1.0_640_360.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1578948 No.1578948 [Reply] [Original]

First rule of HVAC: Hire a pro.

Ok, now that we've got that out of the way, I replaced the valve on my 50 year old LPG (Propane) furnace in my house trailer, made a manometer to set the inlet and outlet pressure, but no matter how far I diverged from the specified values, the flame was mostly yellow. So I set them to the correct values and just worried.

And then I noticed that the moment I opened the porthole door, the flame seemed to be a bit more blue for a moment, so I covered it with plexiglas and the flame was nearly completely blue. It's a simple furnace that draws air down a passageway around the exhaust pipe without any sort of forced air, so how would opening the door to look in cause the oxygen level to drop so much? If anything, I would expect it to be the other way around.

>inb4 I'll die in a fire tonight.

>> No.1579017

>>1578948
Was it dusty and dirty in the furnace? You’re probably burning up whatever is floating in the air from stirring it up when you did your hack job. It likely has nothing to do with your combustion air. Just make sure your flue is clear and it’s drafting properly. Check it in a day or two - if it’s not sooty, youre probably good.

and what do you mean it doesn’t have forced air? No blower fan? Or are you talking about the draft inducer on the flue side? Post a picture, I’ll be up for a little bit.

(Captcha, chimneys)

t.HVAC fag

>> No.1579018

>>1578948

Yellow flame = not enough air {not good}
Blue flame = perfect {great}
Orange flame = dirty (combustibles mixed w/oxygen) {not good}
Any variation will show signs of needed corrections (eg. yellow flame w/blue tip = needs more air, orange flame w/blue tip = combustibles mixed w/oxygen etc)

Always make sure to inspect your heat exchanger also (Google it for details), ANY cracks or holes & SHUT the furnace down & call the pros !! Carbon Dioxide (byproduct of incomplete combustion) is odorless, colorless & 100% deadly.

Hope this helped.

>> No.1579019

>>1578948
>my 50 year old LPG (Propane) furnace

I am a pro. here is what you do

get rid of that useless hunk of shit before you die.

>> No.1579098

>>1579017
The flame would be orange if dust were the problem.

>> No.1579116

hire a professional

>t. /diy/