[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 953 KB, 3024x4032, head wires.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1578736 No.1578736 [Reply] [Original]

Quick question, not sure if this is the right place for it.
I'm making a shitty puppet thing and the head is giving me trouble. At first it was connected to two points- one to the body at the bottom, and one to a wire connected to my thumb at the top. But it just flopped around no matter what I did.
Then I connected another wire to my thumb and the anchor point where it connects to the body. That helped a little, but it still flops around a lot and I can't get near the control I want.
Does anyone know how I should set it up where I can make it move controllably on all three axes?

>> No.1578737

it looks like some work went into this but you are out of your mind if you think someone here can help you with this niche project.
this forum is more used for people wanting to know what to do with roughly 1 ton of imitation crab meat, urine powered Rube Goldbergs, pallet wood projects, dutch love spoons, shipping container tomb building, and submersible rodent habitats. Goodluck puppet dude

>> No.1578741

>>1578737
I appreciate it, but I figured it was more of an engineering question than a puppet one. Like, "how do I make a joint with one point of control that moves in 3 dimensions".
Do you think I should move to the Toy board? Technology?
...Auto?

>> No.1578751

>>1578741
Toy board. Lots of dudes there do custom action figures and mods which is pretty close to your puppets

>> No.1578752

>>1578751
Will do, thanks.

>> No.1578793

>>1578741
Google "3-point linkage" .

They're used on tractors. They're very stable and it's the closest thing I can picture to what you need.

>> No.1578797

>>1578793
Interesting. I'll check it out.