[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 72 KB, 500x427, risk armies.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
156448 No.156448 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/, i want to make a wooden risk game, this will be my first diy project so i'm trying to keep it simple.

So i'm looking for some tips and tricks.
i'd like it have a classy feel if you know what i mean so no bright colors.
Is there a way i can make the continents different colors without using paint?
And would it be hard to carve the armies
(pic related, the kind of model i'd like to use)
and what kind of tools should i use?

>> No.156449

< Is there a way i can make the continents different colors without using paint?

The only things that come to mind would be different types (ie colors/shades) of wood to differentiate. Or maybe a light wood and stain it different colors to show contrast between the continents.

>> No.156452

>>156449
Thanks, was thinking about the last option since i want to make the board out of 1 piece of wood, any tips on how to stain the wood?

>> No.156454

>>156449
You could also use paint that is thinned to give a strained effect but still have the proper color just washed out that will show the wood grain still

>> No.156464
File: 37 KB, 375x499, private284.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

While it's not the same game axis and allies is still very similar to risk. I made this board with a couple friends. If you want some tips and stuff send me an email comaqi@gmail.com I'd be glad to help you in any way I can!

>> No.156466
File: 32 KB, 375x499, grass620.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>156464
and another pic

>> No.156477

>>156466
>>156464
That's pretty cool. I'm making my own Axis and Allies map right now, but doing it from a 2011 CIA world map. Gonna take a while to Photoshop everything (removing some of the names, put in all the markers, ICP values, ect) and make the grids. Using timezones as my grid reference helps a lot though.

I dunno how I'm gonna make all the military models though...might just go out and buy the game too and not waste time on them.

>> No.156478

When I was a kid, our Risk set had wooden counters for armies. It was my Dad's set from when he was a kid. Nostalgia.......

>> No.156496

>>156477
wow that's really cool! Some day I want to make metal versions of all the plastic pieces. That's my goal

>> No.156503

>>156496
You can also get the original map printed on a canvas sheet.

Here's a link to a 64x34 inch version.
http://www.mediafire.com/?wziyujmzmz0

>> No.156522

>>156503
Thanks!

>> No.156529

You can stain the wood different colors, for the best effects make sure to have good cap and edging and very small nails to do the finish work and finish out the edges, metal feet or stands always make for appearance. its wood so any metal or wood inlay is appropriate. To color the countries differently you could try inlaying different types of wood and staining each to a different color, changing grain directions at borders will create dramatic effects in border identification as well. I wish you the best luck, can't wait to see what you come up with.

>> No.156615

>>156449
You could also use different colored pieces of veneer to make the countries, and then just laminate them all to the top of the main game board. Good luck getting it all to piece together though.
You could also visit a hobby shop, and get some nice little plastic soldiers, not the dollar store variety, but some decent ones, and then paint them. Carving little wooden figures would be a real bitch, considering how many of them you have to do.