[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 95 KB, 1280x720, BRUV_0413.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1560002 No.1560002 [Reply] [Original]

/diy/, lemme milk your supple minds..

I want to rig an apparatus that is able to both flash a strobe-light, and emit a loud sound (alternatively and in unison) each time a bait is touched.

The bait/camera setup already exists and is called a BRUV
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baited_remote_underwater_video

The sound/light mechanism will need to be operational at around 20m of water, and should continue flashing/emitting sound for a period after the bait is touched.

Any fuckin ideas?

>> No.1560010

>>1560002
just build it. easy, arduino, pot it in clear epoxy so it's waterproof. no problem.
For the bump thing use a regular IMU. For the flash use a bright LED. For the sound use a piezo, though you'll have to get creative with a bubble inside the epoxy so the sound is coupled well enough to the air

>> No.1560013

>>1560010
thanks bud, whats an IMU?

I have soldered once or twice, i made a simple guitar pedal once but i'm not great.

I like your bubble idea, I reckon I can put a partially inflated balloon in there to create an epoxy bubble, then pop it after hardening.

any input appreciated! cheers!

>> No.1560018

>>1560013
if you're starting from nothing, you'll need to learn:

basic electronics
arduino programming
soldering
how epoxy potting works
an IMU is a gyro and accelarometer in a tiny cheap module that you can read with an arduino, used for detecting motion up to a few HZ (ish).

the point of the bubble is to just make a low density resonating cavity inside the plastic, it doesn't matter what you make it with, it could even just be a little styrofoam ball, actually that would probably be the easiest way to make it

>> No.1560022

>>1560018
ok all good, I have a mechatronics engineer best mate and will get him to help me with the electronics

how likely is this apparatus to be able to stand up to, oh i dont know, a wild shark attacking a bait on the end of an arm. Im going to need to put the motion sensing mechanism far away from any part accessible to a marine animal, obviously.

I am planning to deploy this thing for periods of about 3 hours max, so i dont think any anti-fouling is necessary. But i want it to be sturdy.

thanks again anon

>> No.1560024

>>1560022
Think about a shark attacking a plastic block, who knows. Those things are designed to eat squishy fish, so their teeth probably aren't very into chewing. I guess it could swallow the block whole.