[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 35 KB, 628x623, DVKt6VEX4AAkfVe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1537681 No.1537681 [Reply] [Original]

Bought a new air filter for my place
Noticed how dirty and disgusting the last one was
How often do you replace these filters?

>> No.1537685

>>1537681
Once a year
And I use genuine AirBear filters because I care about my air quality and I care about the life of my furnace.

The best thing you can do for yourself in the long run is to buy quality filters, not Filtrete fucking garbage at the hardware store.

>> No.1537686 [DELETED] 
File: 168 KB, 750x886, 1544216785574.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1537681

>> No.1537689

>>1537685
Hey
What are the chances I bought the same filter
I didnt do much research but its the only one I found with the right size
This was so odd there are dozens of various sizes for filters

>> No.1537692

>>1537689
Airbear Trion is one of the more popular media filter cabinet addons that people install.
They tend to have odd sized filters that are hard to find in stores, so when buying online youll mostly find genuine ones.

>> No.1537864

When they are dirty.

It depends on a lot of factors:
-Do you have pets (most dog owners have absolutely disgusting HVAC even in their otherwise clean home)
-Do you have a giant library full of books / dust generators
-Have you done any construction

Generally a pet-less home every 4 months. If you have pets every two months. Filters are so cheap it's retarded not to change them often.

It just depends though. I'll do a brand new install in a house as it nears the end of construction, then I'll get a call and they'll say some room isn't cooling, and 9/10 I'll go over there and find out they did a bunch of drywall work fixing something and the filter is absolutely clogged. I tell people with a new home to buy a box and check them weekly if there is still construction going on and they want to run the unit.

Buy decent filters, but no need to get the ultra fancy stuff. I'd rather see you buy moderately priced ones and change them more often than a fancy one that change it once a year or something.

t. air conditioning guy

tl;dr: check them every two months

>> No.1537883

>>1537681
Every 2 or 3 months. Youre best off getting a middle of the road filter and changing it more frequently. Dont bother with pleated filters unless you plan on changing them alot.

Those fancy filters filter too much and actually restrict airflow. Iv been to many many service calls where the filter has been plugged up and the customer says I just changed it but they get plugged so quick the AC is freezing up or the heating is cycling on high limit. I use 1 inch polyester media pads. You can buy them in boxes of 50 from an HVAC supplier which makes each filter worth about $1