[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 137 KB, 643x588, Screenshot_2019-01-08-14-37-22-1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1537549 No.1537549 [Reply] [Original]

Hey anons i want to ask someone who is good with woodworking/metalworking to tell me is pic related any good.

>> No.1537554

>>1537549

I am good with woodworking and metal working and I have used a drill almost exactly like that for many years and it is very good for both metal and wood.

The only minor differences that I could mention is that mine is made by Dewalt, but basically the same tool. You could also mention that mine is powered by rechargeable batteries but that is not a significant difference, so I would go with that tool.

>> No.1537555

>>1537549
I suppose it would be good if you wanted to be really, really fucking precise with drilling something.

You could be just as precise with a power drill, but having that physical input with one of these might make it easier in some respecta

>> No.1537566

>>1537549
They are great for metal, but they are very picky about how the bit is sharpened, the majority of twist bits on the market are ground for either steel or general purpose and need to be reground for non ferrous metals or it just jams the bit. The general purpose and steel drilling bits are alright on aluminum though, horrible on copper and its alloys. It also helps if you buy machinist length bits, instead of jobber length, especially on the smaller sizes.

A breast drill is one of the greatest things for precision drilling.

>> No.1537787

I used this type of drill for many years. I still have one I got more the 40 years ago. Do I still use it? No. I have several Ryobi electric drills with lithium batteries and they work much better.

>> No.1537800

>>1537549
It can drill small holes in wood or plastic. It's quiet, so it might be preferable to an electric drill if you have a sleeping roommate or something like that. It doesn't need an electrical supply, so it would be a good choice to bring along when you abandon modern society. It also works just fine under water.

TL;DR: For most drilling tasks it's been replaced by power drills which do those tasks much better, but it has some niche uses where it can be handy.

>> No.1537932

>>1537549

If you have one for free - try it and decide for yourself.

If you have to buy it , just get a cheap lelectric one.

>> No.1537954

>>1537549
I have one of those.

Mine is red.

>> No.1537977

>>1537954
woah

>> No.1537990

>>1537554
lel

>> No.1537997
File: 115 KB, 1024x768, HardcoreDrillsForHardcoreDIYersSuchAsMyself.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1537549
I have several of those. They are good for excellent control. However, a brace is also really good in a lot of applications and having a hand drill and a brace is the best combination for manual drills.

I use mine all the time. In fact, the only electric drill I've owned for the past 10 years is a drill press. I do all manner of wood working, metal work, and farm work with my drills. I use them a few times a week.

>> No.1538287

>>1537549
Breast drills are superirior in every way imagable.

>> No.1538308

>>1538287
Unless you are drilling with small wire gauge bits. Breast drills are great, but there is good reason the smaller drills exist.

>> No.1538513

>>1537549
buy a drill press

>> No.1538826

>>1537549

You'll want to look around on hand tool woodworking sites. This anon knows his shit >>1537997

A Miller Falls 2 or 5 is a good one. Modern reproductions are crap. You want a quality old tool that is properly restored. It's not hard but is time consuming. Flea markets, estate sales, eBay, Craigslist. You'll find them pretty cheap but will need to give it a good inspection and then later work to restore it.

>> No.1538834

>>1538826
>Modern reproductions are crap.
Nah, Schroeder makes a great drill that is much better than the old, both their normal hand drill and their fantastic two speed breast drill are great. The Schroeders beat out my Goodall-Pratt, Miller Falls and Stanley. The small Schroeder hand drill is beaten out by the better offerings of the old makers, for some reason Schroeder went to a single pinion on that one, single pinion just does not work well. Looks like the sealed gear Schroeder is no longer available, which is a shame, still have the open gear and the sealed gear breast though.

Miller Falls did the best of all of them for the small size drill, makes working with those small wire gauge bits a breeze, Schroeder has the best breast drill I have ever used, all of the old makers have both good and bad versions of the standard sized drill.

There was someone making a really nice brace with a modern chuck could take both old and new style augers, but I can not recall the maker. Few of the old braces can take modern augers, but if you are patient you can get a good set of old augers of $20 and a brace for $10. Unfortunately the Jennings pattern augers are getting expensive and they make drilling hardwood so much easier, but a full set can still be had for $100 give or take and few will be able to wear them out within their lifetime.

Thankfully auger bit files are back in production.

>> No.1538848
File: 48 KB, 1000x1000, HTB1OpRWSVXXXXarXXXXq6xXFXXXR.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1538834
So long as the gears are metal, there's 2 pinion gears for the center shaft, and the chuck have 3 jaws then I agree they are equal to older models with those features. If they have a keyless chuck and they have a hand-tight chuck then they are just like everything else. Personally, I'd like a keyed chuck, otherwise, I always need to stick a screwdriver in the gear spokes to tighten and untighten the chuck properly. I've yet to see a keyed chuck hand drill or brace in person.

>tfw you can't find any of your augurs for some reason

I may need to take a trip to the antique store soon.

Looks like this one,
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Schroeder-Hand-Drill-1-4-In-Capacity-Schroeder-Dril-Drill-Chunk-Wrench-Drilling-Bits-3mm-4mm/2008044_32826874166.html

...seems to be a knockoff posing as Schroeder, since there's no branding on it? It has two pinion gears on the center shaft and a keyed chuck. Only $20. Too bad it is only 1/4" bit capacity. I can only assume the crown gear is metal and also not cast zinc. I have a later model hand drill that has a plastic crown gear. A few teeth are missing on it. I also have one that seems to be cast zinc parts for crown and pinion and both have teeth missing.

The smallest hand drill I have is wee tiny and has only 1 pinion gear on the shaft. Where a second pinion gear should go, the crown gear will rub against the shaft when the handle rotates around to that side. That seems to be common among single pinion hand drills. It also makes for awkward drilling when you need to increase the torque a bit.

>> No.1538865

>>1537997
God bless Millers Falls.