[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 2.70 MB, 4032x3024, 29DFF2CF-2C21-4539-A507-83D787C07D2A.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1537268 No.1537268 [Reply] [Original]

I have a set of four hardwood outdoor chairs that have been exposed to the elements for roughly a year now.
I took them inside to dry out and want to refinish them. They used to get treated with oils every year back when they werent out in the rain. I’m thinking of just varnishing them this time around.

Problem is, the rain has made the ‘erosion’ very uneven, and I’m looking for a way to get rid of that without explicitly sanding. Are there chemicals I could apply that would do the job even better? Or is using a high powered pressure washer something I should consider?

>> No.1537327

boiled linseed oil, pine tar oil, or creosote oil if you can find it

>> No.1537346

>>1537268

phoneposters need to fucking go. if the image is fucked, delete the post or the file, rotate it, and re-upload. If you can't figure out how to do that on your phone you should stick to reddit and other sites that are coded by actual coders and not a bunch of losers who sucked up to moot.

>> No.1537497

>>1537268
There is nothing you can do that will be quick and easy, and attempting such thing are bound to make things worse. A light sanding and coat of oil is the way to go.

>>1537327
>pine tar oil, or creosote
Hope you only wear black and don't mind being stivky.

>> No.1537551

>>1537268
>Problem is, the rain has made the ‘erosion’ very uneven, and I’m looking for a way to get rid of that without explicitly sanding. Are there chemicals I could apply that would do the job even better? Or is using a high powered pressure washer something I should consider?
Nope. It's borked, and needs repaired. Just how it is. You might try a card scraper, but that's basically sanding but different.

Use deck stain and reapply yearly, not varnish. Varnish doesn't work on outdoor furniture. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKShR3J3VfI

>> No.1537896

>>1537497
>Hope you only wear black and don't mind being stivky.
What is polymerization of oil

>> No.1537934
File: 626 KB, 1080x1920, Screenshot_20190116-170230.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1537268
Never varnish. You'll lock in any moisture and it will blister and flake within a year. Explicitly sanding is not fun, but it is the only decent way. Rain wears down the soft parts of the grain and leaves the hard parts standing out. You need to sand them down.

And don't even think about using a pressure washer, you'll blast away even more of the soft parts, immensely exacerbating the problem. Just sand, sand, sand until you see reddish wood. Use a belt sander with P40 belt for the large surfaces, but do use caution, it'll eat through the wood very quickly if you dont pay attention and you'll get valleys.

Once you're done sanding everything down to the good wood, get a finer grit and smooth it out. Apply a layer of oil, let dry for a day, repeat etc. until the oil isn't absorbed any more and the wood is saturated. Repeat this annually, lightly sanding before applying oil. The oil coat will keep better if you avoid rain as much as possible (store under cover in winter when you aren't using it anyway). Oh and pro tip: make small squares of trespa or another hard plastic and screw them to the underside of the legs like I did in pic related. This will prevent water from being sucked up through the legs during and after rain which will damage the ends and promote rot. Countersink the screws to prevent scratching your terrace.

>> No.1537949

>>1537551
This, deck stain is the way to go. Anything that states it can be used on furniture, and is oil based. Go for a deep reddy brown shade.

After a few coats the chairs will look like new.

I just did this on a set that looked just as bad as op pic, came up great.

Scrape any lichen and cobwebs off with a wire brush. Otherwise no other cleaning needed.

>> No.1538048

>>1537896
They either take ages to polymerize or their melting point after polymerizing is quite low, anyone who has encountered creosote or pine tar treated telephone poles/rail road ties can tell you, they get sticky on a hot day for years to come.

I often add a dollop of pine tar to my linseed to make things a tad darker, you can get away with a small amount without stick issues, but not much.

>> No.1538060

>>1537346
Look how mad this guy is over a very trivial thing. Have a good life man.

>> No.1538847

>>1537551
>>1537934
>>1537949
Thanks anons; I'll do something along those lines then. Including the top tip of putting something under the feet.