[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 135 KB, 634x1273, winter soldier arm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1525402 No.1525402 [Reply] [Original]

Ok I'll admit I'm a little out of it but I've just had the most insane idea ever and now that I have plenty of disposable income I can make it work. I wanna build a metal arm cast thing kinda like a Winter Soldier/Cable arm. Like wearable, flexible, strong and normally sized. Something I can wear to say punch through brick walls without breaking my knuckles and LARP as something or idk. I've never come to this board before but I am skilled in metalworking and building shit, but I have no idea how to go about doing this. Any suggestions/starting points on how to:

1. Get the size right
2. Make it flexible
3. Keep it thin but strong
4. What to make it out of

Because short of dunking my hand in liquid metal to make a cast I really don't know where to begin. If the hand is too hard I can settle for just the shoulder-to-wrist setup but would ideally like the entire thing.

>> No.1525409

The process might not be as easy as you think. You probably need the help of an adult to finish it. You can ask your parents to make a tin foil one. That should be enough to play with your friends

>> No.1525413

>>1525409
Wow I'm so edgy I called another grown man a child on the internet. Grow up, I'm after advice not shit talking.

>> No.1525427

>>1525413
Presumably an adult would be aware that the thing in the movie is a magical fiction created with special effects, and that national governments in the real world don't have the ability to make things like that. Someone with at least a halfway decent understanding of what's involved would know that this part
>Something I can wear to say punch through brick walls without breaking my knuckles
doesn't go together with
>2. Make it flexible
>3. Keep it thin but strong
without magic, and that this part
>If the hand is too hard I can settle for just the shoulder-to-wrist setup
would result in your hand being mashed to paste if you somehow got the rest working. A lack of analysis on this level suggests a child, though Moot knows that's not a reliable indicator in these parts.

>> No.1525437

>>1525413
I woukd be embarrassed to admit I was a grown man with what you've been posting. I disagree with other anon in that I think it is doable, but I know sure as hell you won't be the guy

>> No.1525697

>>1525402
Find a used, discarded prosthetic arm, and reverse engineer for dimensions, hinge orientation, etc.
copy basic structure in your strong materials, enclosing your bonus features.

>> No.1525713

>>1525402
Nope, its stupid.

Because without some frame to brace it against that isn't your soft mushy body it will be nothing more than a metal gauntlet.

>> No.1525912

>>1525402
>Something I can wear to say punch through brick walls without breaking my knuckles
You're retarded.

For every force there is an equal and opposite force. The force require to punch through a brick wall has to come from or through your body in the opposite direction from the wall. So say you put a pneumatic piston or some spring-loaded contraption on your arm, as soon as the "fist" hits the wall the opposing force with try to rip your arm out of your shoulder socket. Or just knock you back on your ass because your footing isn't stable enough to handle an impact or load that high and above your center of mass.

>> No.1525944

>>1525912
I can kick through thin brick walls no problem and lift 200. Why do you think I never come here, I'm from /fit/. I just want to know the basics of building this and not be told simple high-school physics by a board of woodwork teachers.

>> No.1525956

>>1525713
>>1525912
That's not actually a huge problem. There's enough inertia in the arm and mechanical arm-thing to hit hard without transferring large forces to the body. Think of a sledge hammer. It's easy to knock down brick walls with a ten pound hammer. The problem is that a mechanism to do what OP wants in the form factor he wants is implausible for anything close to current technology.

>> No.1526110

> I'm from /fit/
Oh!, My apologies then, that changes everything.

>> No.1526120

>>1525402
Don't listen to them OP. They might know better, but you should still fail on your terms, not theirs. May I suggest a handle to grip internally take some force off my knuckles while I shatter the rest of my arm? Also I was thinking that shit has to be pointy or something, so when I inevitably fail at knocking the wall down I can at least stab the fridge or destroy some other expensive household item out of frustration.

>> No.1526251

>>1525402
Buddy you are spare parts and you’re going to break your hand

>> No.1526253
File: 13 KB, 206x244, 1537379552295.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1525944
>I can kick through thin brick walls no problem and lift 200
>I'm from /fit/

>> No.1526545

>>1525402
>Disposable income
>No idea what to do
>I wanna (((build)))
>Dunking arm in molten metal

By moot you're like a bingo unto yourself.

>> No.1527491

You might consider filling shock absorbers with non-newtonian fluids. They faster you try to move them, the more they seize up. You could rig it such that it was normally flexible, but stiffened when punching.

As a fit/izen, you are probably aware of the various types of braces and injury wraps available for when you hurt yourself exercising. You might consider those for securing the armor to you.

One design I might consider would be a gauntlet of Dorito sized metal scales, each bound to its neighbor by a small cell of non newtonian fluid.

That's how I would make it both flexible and strong.

>> No.1527510
File: 9 KB, 189x292, 1542689475511.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1527491
>wearing doritos bags full of water and cornstarch