[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 447 KB, 555x763, received_272876853375057.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1516794 No.1516794 [Reply] [Original]

Ever since getting into the hobby of making stuff I tended to forget about making friends entirely after all my high school friends peaced out. So my current bf urges me to have a social life so that I dont always look forward to working in the shed in my free time. So how do you come across friends in the first place who have similar interests?

>> No.1516992

Try starting with a woodworker’s club. That is, in areas with a lot of apartments, these clubs or businesses open workshops for people to do their projects in a suitable place.

>> No.1517866

anon.. "friends" will always let you down but your shop and projects won't. always something to go on in there..perhaps a few fails along the way...meh..trial and error only, learn there. pay no attention to other guidance, find your happy feels with your shop and projects...find a new project to immerse into and you'll forget all about that being social shit...

>> No.1517885

>>1517866
Unironically this. People are shit.

>> No.1517904

>>1517885
maybe people are shit to you because you are shit to people

I found that after I started making more of an effort to be a nicer and more tolerant person that I became happier and got along better with others. A tolerance for stupidity also helped greatly.

>> No.1517914
File: 133 KB, 1024x768, $_86.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1517866
>>1517885
This
I blocked all of my old "friends" numbers.
The only number in my phone is McMaster Carr. I only need my wooden rocking horses for company.

>> No.1518195

>>1516794
>current bf

go away you know nothing about loneliness

>> No.1518204

>>1517866

This

Can't stand people anymore. Life is twice more exhausting when dealing with people. Not only friends but people in general. Fucking neighbors, bad drivers, friends who let you down, gf too needy. Stop this

>> No.1518235

>>1518195
Don't thinknanon at any point claimed they did

>> No.1518369

your bf sounds like a faggot

>> No.1518449

Joined local makerspace.

One half starts fighting with other half..

Wish I stayed in my own workshop.

>> No.1518534

>>1518449
>One half starts fighting with other half..

isn't the point to use tools you normally wouldn't have, not to jibber jabber

>> No.1518574

>>1518534
Not him, but if my local hackerspace was anything to go by, it's about telling people how wrong they are without actually explaining *why* they are wrong. They were great 10 years ago, they are just magnets for hipsters with a superiority complex at this point.

Men's sheds are where it's at.

>> No.1518593

>>1517904
>maybe people are shit to you because you are shit to people
No, people are just shit. I'm friendly and cooperative, and I don't fuck with anyone but people all end up being shit for one reason or another.

>> No.1518596

>>1518593
>people all end up being shit for one reason or another.

and you are somehow the exception?

there's a story for you: old man sitting on bench at train station. guy gets off train and says "what are the people like around here?". old man says "what were they like where you came from?". guy says "pretty nice, in general". old man says "that's what you'll find here".

next guy gets off train, but says "they were all jerks, for the most part". old man says "that's what you'll find here".

true story.

>> No.1518607

>>1518596
>le aesop's fables
I'm not a dribbling moron, I understand what you're trying to get across. The problem is that it might look good in a story, or make a good motivational poster, but in reality it doesn't work out like that. I'm fairly reserved and not into gossip or talking for the sake of it. From this people think I'm standoffish and convince themselves that I believe I'm superior to them, this leads to them being less than friendly towards me which inevitably alters the way I respond to them and the whole thing goes downhill. The times I've tried to avoid this by being more open people have seen me as a source to mooch from and get pissed when I try to point out that they need to ask first before they "borrow" my things, or that they should return them in the same condition as when they borrowed them. Things go downhill even faster this way. People are just shit, I would like to find non-shit people but I fear I never will. Even when I don't have an issue with anyone (yet) that doesn't stop others ruining a good situation and fucking it up for everyone else as in >>1518449.Thanks for reading my blog.

>> No.1519134

Once the people you call "friends" find out you have a shop with tools, half of them will endlessly ask you to fix their broken stuff, build them a bookcase, fix their plumbing...the other half will ask to borrow your tools or use your shop.
I've built custom displays for a friends coffee shop, sheet rocked a storage room for an art studio, installed a shower, tiled a kitchen floor...

If you say no, or ask for money for supplies you used, they never speak to you again.

>> No.1519180
File: 936 KB, 320x240, mumm-ra.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1518596
Third guy gets off the train says "I'm looking for trouble". old man says "that's what you'll find here"

>> No.1519191

>>1519180

I'm starting to think the old man is a fucking bot. next guy needs to slap him upside the head and see what he says.

>> No.1519485

>>1519191
>accidentally unlock secret boss