[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 18 KB, 270x425, Drano_SolutionFinder_MaxGel.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1512591 No.1512591 [Reply] [Original]

Is it bad to use this? Pretty sure it's just hair that's clogged in my bathroom sink.

>> No.1512601

Worst case, it doesn't work

>> No.1512614

>>1512591
is it bad?
what is bad? is it bad for your drain? for your health? for the environment?
need more input.

certainly it is bad in so much that it is wrong, it is not the appropriate solution for the problem. actually its not a good solution for any problem but that part really is my opinion only.

for hair, if you know it is hair, there is a product, a tool, called "zip-it" for pulling hairs out of a drain.
you can probably fashion something while not similar in design or appearance, certainly in function, any small hook will solve blocked hair issues, hair in drains comes out in clumps, the clumpyness forming is what blocks the drain in the first place so it will probably all come out together.

if you don't have access to tools probably the fastest way to solve any kind of block is with a pair of rubber (or nitrile probably) gloves on, remove the trap or u-bend section (should unscrew easily) and clean it out by hand. blockages are quite common in traps and bends because of the tight turns and changes in direction. you can remove other pieces of pvc pipe if you think it will help, most pieces should be very easy to remove by hand, no tools required however have a bucket and towel ready it will be messy, the trap/u-bend holds water, thats how it works.

the simplest method, especially if you don't have access to pipes under the basin is a plunger, understand that you need a good seal against the plughole and that the aim is to alter the pressure against the blockage with the intent to dislodge it and allow it to continue down the pipe, this will not remove the blockage completely and might cause you problems however typically drains increase in diameter as they flow and more channels combine so if you can get it flowing it should be ok.

drain cleaners are mostly formulated to dissolve fat and grease and won't be very effective with hair.
The main problem with chemicals is if it doesn't work you now just have two things blocked in the drain.

>> No.1512619

>>1512614
Tl;dr Yes, it's bad because it doesn't work with a fuck. Get a snake, a zip strip, and a plunger.

>> No.1512623

>>1512601
thanks, hotwing man.
>>1512614
>>1512619
I meant would it exacerbate my problem, and you answered it. I'm not really going to get my hands fixing this problem the right way. I'm renting out a bedroom in a guys house where we share the bathroom, and the guy doesn't really care/do shit for his house.

>> No.1512672

>>1512591
Works great in the shower drain.
>be furry fucker
>after shower tub looks like someone shaved a moose
>Big ol knotted ball of hair clings to drain trap.
>pull it out - looks like a hairball coughed up by saber-toothed tiger.
>nasty.jpg
>hair clings to hard water deposits inside pipes
>water gets couple inches deep during shower due to bad drainage
>use Draino or Liquid Plumber
>all is well again
Just follow the instructions - it works great for hair clogs.

>> No.1512685

>>1512591
I once had a toilet that had been clogged for several months. After a while of doing the old, wait for it to drain down, shit in it again cuz I need to, repeat, it quit draining completely and was full of shit to the very brim.

I waited another full month for it to drain just about an inch and I dumped max strength draino down the hole, carefully laughing as it heated the whole bowl and cracked the inside (I only had 3 weeks left under rental contract). Slowly but surely the toilet continued to heat up to the point it was too hot to touch, at which point I had figured it was done for. I took a nail and held it with some pliers/shoved them about 6 inches in the shit and popped a small hole in the inside of the toilet.

Over the course of about 2 days all of the excess shit and piss that had accumulated drained inside the toilet, between the outer wall and inner wall, this allowed me to safely plunge said toilet after I finally broke down and bought one. The toilet chose to stay stubborn and not unclog fully, but I managed to get it 'visually clean' even though I knew within the walls of said toilet there was at least 4 months of fermenting shit. Luckily I had stated that there was a crack in the toilet when I moved in on my move in sheet, as I typically just write down minor things that are generic so that I'm never liable.

If you ever had to replace a toilet with a heaping pile of fermented shit inside it I'm sorry, but the shower was clogged too, so I had no other choice.

>> No.1512723

>>1512672
I dumped half like the instructions said, waited half hour, then ran the water, and it's not any better. Did it again, seems the same. Oh, well.
>>1512685
That's nasty.

>> No.1512823

>>1512591
another hairy guy here, they have drano specifically for hair clogs, ive had better results with that then any *max power* shit

>> No.1512828

>>1512723
>waited half hour
if you're not leaving it overnight you don't actually want it to work

>> No.1512833

>>1512823
I'll look for it.
>>1512828
Damn it, I was just following the directions on the bottle.

>> No.1512844

>>1512723
get some liquid fire

>> No.1512923
File: 121 KB, 1049x769, Capture.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1512591
If it's your house, I woudnt use it. It is going to eat your pipes. Buy a snake

>> No.1512925
File: 51 KB, 780x582, Capture.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1512591
I have seen people unclog a drain with a wire hanger, Unravel it straighten it out and use the swirly end

How To: Unclog A Drain With a Wire Hanger
https://youtu.be/qG9KQlRZFWE

>> No.1512926

>>1512591
Who knows. Depends on how bad the pipe was before. A toilet closet auger will work to unclog the sink if you can get the trap off and verify you went down instead of up the vent. I’ve tried to plunge them as a plumber. Rarely works

>> No.1512937

>>1512591
Get a wet vac. Wrap wet rag around the hose turn the fucker on. It will clear it out
Keyhopper