[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 2.59 MB, 2610x4640, IMG_20181209_073935.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1512217 No.1512217 [Reply] [Original]

Hi /diy/.

Hypothetical question. Can I double, triple, ect...,the output of a motor by combining it with identical motos, or creating a very well designed 3 phase motor?

In my pic is a basic 12v 0.6a. If I double the four magnet stacks together, double the winds in the copper coils around them, double the capacitance and the surrounding magnet, can I create a 24v motor?

End game: I have hundreds of coils and magnets laying around. I want to create a powerful brushless dc, 1.5 - 2k hub motor. is it possible to do this by very carefully combining lots of smaller motors?

>> No.1512243

>>1512217
>can I create a 24v motor?

theoretically yes, and it will actually be a better motor because the end turns of the windings serve no purpose yet have resistive losses, and you will cut that in half, and the flux leakage at the ends will also be cut in half. what capacitance are you referring to?

but in reality, if you take that small motor and try to make one 50x longer, it will have mechanical issues. Just buy a proper motor, or start with something a lot closer to your goal. Homemade motors tend to suck.

>> No.1512244

>>1512243
>Homemade motors tend to suck
This. Electric motors have been around for hundreds of years and are in basically everything with moving parts. Sure it's kinda fun to build your own but if you want anything vaguely practical, just buy one. Beyond basic physics like Faraday and Lenz there's not that much to learn from it anyway.

>> No.1512247

>>1512217
If you have a CNC machine or a mill you could, but otherwise no.Transformers are another story, you could use the core of one of the stators to make a toroidal transformer and it would be okayish.

>> No.1512254

>>1512247
>If you have a CNC machine or a mill you could,
Yes, we have a CNC and small workshop. I live in a third world country, and have several designs for stand up scooters and a few sit down ones. Other than batteries, which are way out of our league we are aiming at producing around 200 of these initially, having asked multiple hotels if they will make deals to purchase them, or get paid a 'juicer' fee. There are lots of temples and tourist attractions, but tourists are not allowed to rent gasoline mopeds.... After this, we want to scale the same motor for a bicycle and bring that to the UK market, with a slow, very obvious "road legal" mode button and a very fast "off road" switch, and have lots of further plans and ideas for EVs.

As we have virtually unlimited access to used washing machines, old ceiling fans and plenty off other things we can salvage magnets and long copper wires from, it works out so much cheaper than risking orders from Alibaba, most of which lack the power and don't fit the Honda Grom tyres we're using for the stand up scooters..

>> No.1512257
File: 245 KB, 650x480, Just.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1512254

>> No.1512264

>>1512217
>a powerful brushless dc, 1.5 - 2k hub motor.

what does that mean, 2000 volt motor? 2000 hubs? 2000 rpm?

>> No.1512272
File: 48 KB, 563x502, robit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1512254
ok then get a book on electric machinery, I recommend the ones by Chapman, it`s one of the more pajeet areas so you won`t find much worthwhile on the internet. Your main problem is going to be the material you made the cores, but as you said you already have them. So
>brushless motors require hall sensors and controlling elements
>you can rewire the motors as to get more power (thicker wire for handling more current or more turns on each winding, changing the number of poles or changing windings from delta to y and vice versa)
>modifying a motor is easier than making one, and it`s probably all you will end up doing because you have no silicon steel sheets and already have the cores and a motor is 80% core (and it defines the windings pitch)
>remember that all electric machines can operate above their power ratings if you provide aditional cooling.
>if you have more than one identical motor you could use the steel sheets to make a longer motor, power scales linearly with lenght and exponentially with diameter

>> No.1512277

>>1512272
>changing the number of poles

not a good idea. the part with the permanent magnets would have to be replaced entirely, and the part with the laminations would saturate if you use fewer poles, or would be oversized if you use more poles, and in a design like his pic which appears to have one slot per pole, it's impossible to have more poles by rewinding. It's ok for playing around, but for an actual operational design it's a bad idea.

>> No.1512290

>>1512277
You are correct, I did not look at his pic.

>> No.1512291

>>1512290
>>1512272
And you asked about tension, tension is not that important for power ratings, being limited only by supply and coil insulation.

>> No.1512409
File: 64 KB, 799x397, ddmotoropen.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1512264
>1.5 - 2k hub motor
>what does that mean, 2000 volt motor? 2000 hubs? 2000 rpm?
2000kW

>ok then get a book on electric machinery, I recommend the ones by Chapman
>>you can rewire the motors as to get more power (thicker wire for handling more current or more turns on each winding, changing the number of poles or changing windings from delta to y and vice versa)
>modifying a motor is easier than making one, and it`s probably all you will end up doing because you have no silicon steel sheets and already have the cores and a motor is 80% core
Thank you very much for you reply. I have two years of IT and Engineering at college, but we never touched motors, unfortunately. They focused on PC related hardware, building circuits with 555 timers, lots of programming, etc. I have a history of hobby building/modding conventional ICE motorcycles, and have already built one electric rear hub honda cub/bicycle hybrid, and have built everything from the battery management system for that to a custom cooling PC-based water loop for a conventional 125cc engine (Which looked amazing--green coloured liquid piped down to the cylinder case, with a custom fin design encased in perspex)
>you have no silicon steel sheets
They could be easy to come by. There are multiple Economic zones here that western countries use for a lot of their their manufacturing

>You are correct, I did not look at his pic.
My OP pic is just a PC fan sat in front of me. Just using it as an example of a motor. Pic related is more what I was thinking. Perhaps the best way would be to purchase the motor/s we wish to use, reverse engineer, then copy them?

>> No.1512413

>>1512409
>2000kW

you want to take that little motor and make a 2 mega watt device. two million watts.

k.

>> No.1512417

>>1512409
>Perhaps the best way would be to purchase the motor/s we wish to use, reverse engineer, then copy them?

If you are planning on small runs like 200 units, it is not a good idea to build a motor factory. Buying in volume will be cheaper and you will have nice motors, not a half-assed copy that doesn't work as well as the design you want to steal.

>> No.1512427
File: 509 KB, 1000x667, motores trafo alternado 2MW cada.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1512409
m8 I don`t think I ever saw a 2MW BLDC. Pic related are 2MW each synchronous motors for cooling a MW-range transformer I saw on a powerplant.

>> No.1512429
File: 142 KB, 630x593, HT1fi.CFLJcXXagOFbXQ.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1512264
>>1512409
Basically, my question is I can get free motors from used ceiling fans, washing machines, AC units..., anything with a motor.... is it at all feasible to Frankenstein, say, a bunch of ceiling fans together, probably using a custom made housing, to make a larger, more powerful motor to power a light two wheeled vehicle? I was going to begin experimenting by stacking multiple fan stators together, like pic related, re-coiling them, then surrounding them by the original three rotors.

>> No.1512433

>>1512413
My bad. I meant 1.5-2kW

>> No.1512436
File: 412 KB, 1000x667, turbina de media pressao.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1512427
Also if you have to ask 4chan how to make 2MW motors that means you should not be making 2MW motors.
Pic is a secondary turbine for a 160KVA alternator.

If you have two or more identical motors OR steel sheets and means to stamp/cut them, make your own stator core or unscrew/glue the sheets your identical motors already have, and make a longer stator and use your CNC, Mills, slaves to make the rotor and axis. Also why on god`s green earth would you start making motors right off the bat with BLDCs?

>> No.1512439 [DELETED] 
File: 806 KB, 1920x1080, Untitled1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1512436

>> No.1512440
File: 10 KB, 914x646, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1512436

>> No.1512462

>>1512429
just weld all the output shafts together..?