[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 132 KB, 573x1024, F.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1511130 No.1511130 [Reply] [Original]

which tradesmen do you guys think that are more likely to get replaced by robots/computers/appliances/etc.? and which have a higher chance of withstanding the passage of time?

>> No.1511136

>>1511130
The ones easier to automate. Obviously harder to automate small fixes where you have to accommodate for old shit being screwed up than building house from the ground up (automating that is already doable, lots of proofs of concept machines, probably not viable economically yet or we would see wider adoption). It will take time, same as cashiers will stick around for some time yet.

>> No.1511140

Remotely operated vehicles are already taking away commercial divers work. They can't do any no visibility work yet but one day maybe.

>> No.1511141
File: 205 KB, 1920x1080, 1464503611224.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1511130
Most drywallers, most roofers and some carpenters where shit can get monotonous are going. Any type of mechanic on the other hand I don't see it happening not even theory, shit is just too random

>> No.1511168

>>1511141
>Most drywallers,

nope

>most roofers

nope

>and some carpenters where shit can get monotonous are going.

extremely nope. have you ever done one of these jobs? no fucking robot will be installing crown molding in your lifetime.

>> No.1511220

>>1511130
Some trademen will dwindle out over the next 100 years as construction techniques improve, plasterers will be replaced by ready-made joinery on walls like they did when we switched to drywall. Carpenters will be largely replaced with concrete prefabs, as will bricklayers, concreters will go the same way as plasterers with efficiencies getting better over time so some people get all the work.

There'll always be a market for true craftsmen though, people that make things from start to finish. True woodworkers will start catering to richer and richer clients because people won't be able to afford real handcrafted wood. Welders will likely see a decline as machines take over and factories automate.

We're gonna see the last of the people that are truly connected to their work and see themselves reflected in it die out as global technological hegemony takes over and the bosses at the top replace us all with robots.

Get a job doing something creative, make interesting projects, not efficient ones.

>> No.1511270
File: 4 KB, 211x239, brainlet.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1511168
what the fuck you mean nope you fucking faggot, there's some chinks that already made the proof of concept

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARpd5J5gDMk

>> No.1511312

>>1511140
no they arent. the only self driving trucks out there still require an operator, and i can count how many are moving loads on one hand.

>> No.1513462

>>1511270
Do you really think there is a future in that?
As far as I can tell most trades require people to do the job, most of the automation has been already done 100 years ago and we're just improving on it but technology is not really making big steps anymore

>> No.1514766

>>1513462
>Do you really think there is a future in that?

Not that guy, but there absolutely is. And, yes, we ARE making big steps...it's just not something the average consumer sees directly anymore. It's all a software challenge at this point. The moment someone cracks the secret of an AI that's good at teaching itself things it wasn't explicitly designed for to start with, it's over, humanity is BTFO.

My take is that trades, in general, will be some of the last things to go, and it'll be all at roughly the same time. The specific aspects of trade work and, indeed, navigating the world in general that make it difficult to automate (mostly the required mobility and the fact that objects will rarely or never appear exactly as/where expected) are present across all of them. The actual mechanical processes involved in trade work are usually dead simple and trivially easy to automate, but only if you need to to EXACTLY the same thing, a few million times, and you happen to need it all done in the same few square feet you started in.

Literally the only things keeping humans in the job market is their motor skills and comparatively outstanding visual interpretation of the world around me. Don't get me wrong, those are outstandingly difficult problems to solve, and it's going to take a while, but don't fool yourselves into thinking it isn't possible. The human brain IS just an unusually wet computer, after all.

>> No.1515425

>>1514766
Woah buddy. Tldr

>> No.1516547

>>1514766
But what's the need of developing AI? If you need some job done just make more people and we have a surplus of that too

>> No.1516701

>>1516547
>But what's the need of developing AI?
I can think of a few reasons.
>People just do not want to do the job.
>A person requires years of investment to become proficient in the job.
>The job would be cheaper if performed by AI.

A robot worker doesn't need to be paid, doesn't require insurance, doesn't have laws and regulations concenring how hard or long you can work it, won't complain or show up late or drunk, will achieve an inhuman consistency in work performance, and so on. Yes, you need to pay for repairs, maintenance, upgrades, all of which will be covered by your tiered plan with the company whose robots you've leased.

>> No.1516907

>>1511312
they definitely aren't taking away commercial work. Maybe in 10 years. I think it is more likely we'll see a massive oil crash and all end up back on trains again.

>> No.1517022

>>1511168
I don't know about robots and shit so much but, just the fact that you can list the departmentalized professions like that shows that this kinda shit is becoming an unskilled industry. Gone are most of the dudes that know how to build a house from the bottom up. Now, you train a dude to do a few things. And he uses machines or buys prefabricated stuff and so on.