[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 12 KB, 272x185, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
149291 No.149291 [Reply] [Original]

I'm looking for a detailed recipe and procedure for making moonshine using peaches or corn, these are readily available to me. I would like to do batches yielding 2-3 gallons of finished hooch.

>> No.149294

Fill rubbermaid tubs with sugar, your materials and yeast. it will taste horrable, by the way op. let it ferment, then just put it through your still.

>> No.149324

>>149294
Toxins leeched from plastic = Fail

>> No.149332
File: 378 KB, 695x631, 120748 - cheerilee.png (PNG Image, 1920 × 1080 pixels) - Scaled (82%) - Mozilla _2012-01-30_15-36-35.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Buy a wine making kit that includes a vessel and fermentation lock (or DIY one) [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermentation_lock], then take as many gallons of apple cider as it takes to nearly fill your vessel, add a five pound bag of sugar for five gallons and some activated yeast (one packet is enough, it will reproduce rapidly). Close it up and let it ferment. The fermentation lock will prevent the drink from oxidizing and going bad. Keep it some place dark so that the only thing growing in there is delicious alcoholic yeast.

When, you pour the mixture into a bunch of 2 liter bottles, filling not all the way up. Next put them in the freezer with the caps off and room to expand when it freezes. This is freeze distillation and is illegal. And unlike using a still, it doesn't boil off the non ethanol parts or allow you to separate the methanol head. So beware and do your research, there's a reason this is illegal still. After the bottles are frozen, take them out and pour the still liquid parts through a funnel into bottles.

Congratulations, you have just made Applejack('s Cider).

>> No.149338
File: 272 KB, 1530x1084, the_drunkards_progress_-_color_sharp_contrast.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>149332
Fun fact: apple fermentations have the most methanol of all common brews. That's why the hangover from that putrid applejack you make will be so cripplingly bad. In the olden times there used to be a disease called apple palsy, and it was from the longterm effects of metabolizing all dat methanol from habitual drinking of hard cider. And finally, the oft-forgotten fact of the temperance movement is that it was preceded by and heavily influenced by an American movement in the 1880s that sought to limit the damage cider was having on the nation. They were so successful that drinking beer went from rare to a national pasttime by the turn of the 20th century and they completely eliminated the small cider orchards that many families kept to keep themselves in booze.

>> No.149339

>>149324
You're wrong.

I wouldn't use castoff plastic bins from the chinese chemical recycling plant... but new storage containers will work absolutely fine with such low concentrations of alcohol. It's not until you get into the 20-96%abv that you need to start worrying about material safety.

>> No.149340

>>149338
+10 internets sir.

>> No.149341

>>149332
Will the liquid part move to the top of the bottle?

>> No.149358

>>149341

It filters down through the frozen bit which has the consistency of crushed ice. The man above ain't fooling about the dangers of methanol, though.

>> No.149378

Recipe ?
Alcohol is made with fruits/cereals and sugar. That's it.

You squash the fruits fruits and you add sugar (50/50 or more sugar), you put it in buckets and you mix it every day until the fruits fall on the bottom and you get a clear liquid on top. Then you can still it.

That's how we do it in my part of Europe.

Stilling is easy, all you need is a small glass and a alcohol thermometer to measure the produce.
After you distil it you can mix it with distilled water to reach a drinkable degree (cause I know you amerikanskiis can't drink hard liqueur).

>> No.149391

One homedistiller.org there are many designs for colunms and condensers to fit kegs. A keg still with water heater elements works very well just use acid to clean the plating from the elements first then sand them a bit to get it all off there. I prefer a corn and oat mix just get cracked corn then crack the oats and cook in a mash. three or four 5 gallon jugs fermented on the grain will give you enough liquid to safely fill the keg still. You would need to add more sugar in with a corn/oat mix but I guess your peaches could add more. A refractometer to get you started level perfect is a good investment.

>> No.150983

>>149378
>murrikans cant drink hard liqour
>moonshine

>> No.150992

>Not having a distillation set that you stole from your University chem lab.

Damn hillbilly's.

>> No.151013

>>150983
I am irish american and have produced a family poteen recipe that destroys the bastard crap child that is moonshine. I have found moonsine to be shitty smelling and weak except some of the more cared for batches but even then it watered dow to a weak 50%abv. Farmers strength is where its at with 80% being just about right. Gets you enough flavor out of the still so the oats and brown sugar come through without being weakpiss. Learn to balance the still at just around that the whole time after foreshot and heads removal and its a good batch.

>> No.151112

I really hope that you have your papers from the atf before you make this product, you have been reported to them.

>> No.151115

>>150992

Why the fuck would you bother with lab glass, if you just want to make moonshine.