[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 69 KB, 696x696, Electrical-panel-fh17mar_576_06_401-1-696x696.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1483386 No.1483386 [Reply] [Original]

>doing maintenance with a buddy in a townhouse
>someone's electricity is out
>go check the breaker, it's flipped, flip it back, every fucking day is like this
>hear a billion sounds from all over the house, breaker flips back instantly
>wtf
>"Hey Buddy, go check around the house and see if you see anything big you can unplug."
>buddy comes back
>"Literally everything was on."
>"What?"
>"Washer and dryer were both set to be running, no clothes even in the dryer, all light switches were on, a fucking vacuum cleaner was plugged in and switched to on, I don't fucking know man. I turned it all off."
>okay.jpg
>flip breaker, everything works
>go talk to the tenant

Turns out he saw something about a solar pulse on the news once and once the breaker flipped he literally tried every electrical device in the house to see if they were broken before he called maintenance to complain.

What's the dumbest reason someone has ever given you for their shit breaking?

>> No.1483388

>>1483386
government drones hovering in her yard shooting her with lasers.b

>> No.1483389

>>1483386
Welcome to rental properties I guess?

Half of renters are just too young to buy, three quarters are just retarded.

>> No.1483566

>>1483386
>Wifi goes down at work
>Women does the Windows Network Diagnostics
>Watched her turn the wifi off
>Told her to turn the wifi back on
>Says she didn't turned it off
>Told her I seen her do it
>Says she didn't
>Grabbed the mouse, turned the wifi back on
>Still bitches the internet doesn't work
>Told her the wifi is down and has to wait for IT to come in and reboot the routers.

>> No.1483582

bump for interest

>> No.1483591
File: 20 KB, 537x244, protru[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Do maintenance in a government building, almost entirely offices.

Most of my job is doing unskilled labor because people are too unskilled to do unskilled labor. People are not allowed to hang pictures themselves or adjust clocks.

>Get a work order that all of the mouse bait stations are messed up
>Go to the floor and inspect
>Bait stations are correct
>Open them up to see if they still have poison in them
>Everything looks good
>Close work order and move on with my life
>Get exact same work order but bitchier
>Go up the ladies office but she isn't even on site
>Check some other stations, everything is fine
>Close work order and move on with my day
>Get a call from management asking why I refuse to do this work order
>Explain that I've now been up there twice and checked every single trap
>They ask if I can just have her call me because she's some big shot division head
>Old shrew calls me and starts instantly insulting me
>Tell her that if she can't calm down I'm hanging up, starts swearing at me
>Hang up
>Ignore her calls
>My manager goes up there to talk to her
>Comes back down laughing his ass off saying it's taken care of

Turns out it wasn't even the lady calling it, it was some old hag that pretended to be her boss because she has no power. She said that her bait station was installed wrong. They are triangular on one side so they sit in the corner. She felt that the point should be out for some reason. She argued with my manager when he said she was wrong.
Next week when the Orkin guy was doing one of his weekly walks he says the weirdest thing happened when he went to one of the floors; all of the bait stations were turned around and some woman started yelling at him and tried to physically stop him when he fixed them.

Had a little laugh and let management know. Word is that she got put on probation for her behavior and retired right after.

>> No.1483611

>>1483386
My family rents a house to some black people in the city. Stuff regularly breaks there, but it's mostly cheap stuff and they pay their rent. Anyway, they called us to repair their kitchen sink. We arrived thinking something had physically broken based off the vague description they provided. Turns out that it was just a massive clog of grease caused by someone pouring it down the drain. We had to run a snake through it and clear it out in the basement. I've done some nasty stuff, but that might have been one of the worst. A couple days worth of grease, hair, and food pieces all came out of that pipe. We told them about it and of course they didn't know anything about it. "Uh, we didn't pour any grease down that drain. Maybe the kids did it or something."
Renters are usually idiots.

>> No.1483617

>>1483611
Why didn't you try to pour boiled water first ?
This melts the grease easily

>> No.1483618

>>1483386
I work at a Managed Service Provider. Basically, if you are a business and you don't want to manage your own I.T. you call us. Dear lord do we get some morons.

>Person calls in, not on contract, first time customer, so we know nothing about their setup.
>No one at the company can open any of their Quickbooks company files.
>Is an accountant. Quickbooks is literally their entire business. Dead in the water and freaking out.
>I ask which machine the company files are stored on. No idea. None of the staff do either. Is mad we don't know.
>I work remotely and am trying to guide this person through getting me connected to their machine.
>Literally takes 20 minutes to direct them to a website and click their mouse 3 times.
>Get connected, I see QuickBooks is pointing at a network share and that machine is offline.
>I ask if they know anything about a machine named "SBSERVER"
>Between bouts of hyperventilation and giving me useless information I piece together the story.
>They hired another local MSP to set up the computers and network.
>They kept them on contract for a few years but then terminated the contract because they didn't feel they were getting "value" for their money (IE everything works, what am I paying you guys for?)
>That was 6 years ago.
>For 6 years there was a Windows SBS 2008 machine having zero maintenance performed on it.
>No updates, no reboots, no backups, no one checking for hardware failures.
>We send someone onsite because the client literally knows nothing about this server they probably spent several grand on
>As I suspected, it had died. It had a RAID 6 and 3 of the 4 hard drives had failed.
>Only way forward is to have the drives shipped to a recovery company.
>Quoted almost $9,000 for recovery. Pays it without batting an eye.
>Based on logs we reviewed the first drive failure happened about 3 years before.
>Spend thousands more buying and setting up a new server.
>Quoted $1,200 a year for a maintenance contract
>They refuse.

>> No.1483626

>>1483617
My uncle mentioned something like that actually. Can't remember why we didn't.

>> No.1483628

>>1483617
dont quit your day job dummy

>> No.1483630

>be me reading /diy?
>laugh because 99% of what I read is stupid
>Idiots guessing, trolling or copy pasta
>/diy/ is a joke

>> No.1483785

>>1483630
>the entirety of 4chan is a joke
Get it right, anon.

>> No.1483810

>>1483618
We had a customer that had a Dell server, for some stupid reason they had put the server on a shelf backwards. Front against the wall. For reasons I still do not understand on those dell servers the perc raid controllers have the raid failure alarm turned off, and you cannot turn it on.

Their backup apparently was not working either. They did not want to pay for real backup software that could notify someone of failures by email.

So at some point one of the 3 drives in the raid 5 failed. No Alarm. months later another drive failed No alarm.

They tried to blame us and were quite upset that several thousand of their kids baby pictures were lost (not sure why they were stored on a business server).

I hated that client. cheap ass bastards.

>> No.1483815

>>1483618
>>1483810
The miser customers are always the worst.
>don't understand anything
>know better than you
>they break it
>your fault
>It costs how much?

>> No.1483822

>>1483815
I also work for a state government, they had a server full of super important legal cases, but they weren't backing it up because some smarter than anyone else bureaucrat decided that they were no longer going to backup 2003 servers.

Yes you read that right, lets NOT backup aging servers with critical information on them.

Wait it gets better, for some STUPID FUCKING REASON they made all the drives on the server as a STRIPE with no redundancy.

Guess what? yup the server crashed, no backup, fucking heads were about to roll, they were going to fire the entire IT staff (including me) even though none of use made the decision to not backup the server, or knew anything about it.

Someone gets the bright idea to contact a former employee who managed the server but had retired, because no one knew exactly how the drives were configured, and to see if there was anyway to bring the data back.

Turns out that employee knew that the way the server was setup was retarded and since he didn't want to get fired (before he retired) he setup a job to mirror ALL the data from that server to another device daily.

Fucking guy is a hero. Saved all are assess.

>> No.1483830

>>1483822
It's always weird to run into the one competent person in a department. They always seem so stressed

>> No.1483831

About 8 years back during the whole economy thing, the local community college had a major meltdown. Their IT department had consisted of three people. The senior IT guy retired and they left the position unfilled because of budget problems. Over the next few months both remaining IT people quit because their hours had been cut. Listings for new junior level IT people are put out but the listings were only for part-time work and their requirements were assinine. You needed a 4-year degree plus experience for 20 hours a week at $12 an hour with no benefits. As you can imagine they go unfilled. Months go by and the teachers of IT courses take over the day to day troubleshooting but the management of the servers is now handled directly by the school's board. They do break/fix style maintenance by outsourcing the work to a local IT company.

The first week of registrations everyone comes in on Monday and everything is fucked. The website is up but no one can connect to the registration database, which is stored on the college's servers. The entire school network is fucked because the DNS is down. Fire shares, printers, internet access, everything is inaccessible. The local power company had been doing some line maintenance and had told the college weeks in advance that they would have a planned power outage for several hours on Saturday. The board had not put the dots together and had not gracefully powered down the servers beforehand. When the UPSs ran out of battery power the servers went down. No one had come in to power them back up so they were still down on Monday. Worse yet, the database was corrupted. The icing on the cake? Backups had been broken for months but the board had put off fixing them because the company that made the backup equipment changed a fee for tech support if you didn't have a support contract. While day to day operations was up within a few hours the registration database had to be completely rebuilt, which a few took weeks.

>> No.1483841

>>1483830
True. Amazingly for every one there's 10 incompetent people doing God knows what. The icing on the cake is they usually have their head so far up the bosses ass they can do no wrong.

>> No.1483845

>>1483386
>be doing construction
>temporarily wire in some lights and a single plug into my electric room so I can work
>got like 5 amps worth of lights on it so I think I am good to go
>have a 100a temp panel just down the hall so I think all is good for the other trades to do their thing.
>have to work else where in the building for a part of the day
>get called back to the area with temp panel, circuit tripped
>look and see 3- 1500w heaters plugged into my little electric room outlet
>explain to the finishers it wont work... too many amps gonna trip everytime
>think these white guys understand and go back to what I was doing
>10 minutes later get the same call same problem
>explain it again
>he tells me something is just wrong with my circuit
>nope, reset it and tell them again to go plug in at the temp panel
>reset, go back and stop answering the phone for 30 minutes
>dude tracks me down on the opposite side of the job
>angry I am messing with him and turning off the lights and cant get him power ect
>blow up at him scream in his face call him a stupid fuck
>walk back with him to the other side of the site and a show him one last time
>he has no extension cords demands I provide power where he needs it
>tell him to fuck off and go to the other side of the site again
>20 minutes later the gc is calling me, explain whats going on
>go back again
>this time with the gc
>put my meter on his heater and tone through the heating element... tell him he has a bad heater, cut the cord off
>do this 2 more times to his other heaters
>finisher is beyond pissed
>says I shut him down for the day
>shrug and tell him I just saved us from burning down the building and walked away
>me and gc have a laugh about it later
>finisher gets kicked off the jobsite 2 weeks later when he is caught drinking on site

>> No.1483851

>>1483611
My dad had a couple city properties. Black and Hispanic tenants were afraid to go in the basement. It happened several times that when they did go down there, they found a few inches of shit-water. We had to go down, wade through their poop and snake the p-trap on the cellar drain or the p-trap at the road and pull out baby wipes, markers, dolls, panties, rags, a rolled up newspaper and once a pair of jeans.

>> No.1483852

>>1483851
Seriously, do people think flushing shit down the toilet just makes it disappear from existence?
>shove pair of jeans in toilet
>flush 300 times
>I don't see it anymore
>problem solved

>> No.1483856

>>1483852
>do people think flushing shit down the toilet just makes it disappear from existence?
yes

>> No.1483859

>>1483856
I suppose these people also believe in psychics, astrology, and religion.

>> No.1483860

>>1483859
Well somebody's paying money to Miss Cleo...

>> No.1483863

>>1483860
Maybe she's in cahoots with plumbers?

>> No.1483872

Seasonal facility maintenance.

>Toilet rocks in place, starts leaking.
>Easy fix. New wax seal, now flange bolts, done.
>Pull toilet. There is no flange.
>Wut.
>The concrete floor is mounded upward about 1/2 inch where the flange should be.
>Bolts were directly into concrete. Rusted and gone.
>Buy new flange and a masonry chisel. Start chipping out the concrete to make room for a flange.
>Patron sees me, flips shit.
>He's the guy that did the original installation.
>Shits on me for removing the bolts, doesn't believe they rusted away.
>Wants to caulk the toilet down.
>Tell boss. Say it won't last a week. Boss lets him do it.
>Doesn't last a week.
>Fuckface is gone by then, go back to chiseling out the concrete and installing flange.

Same facility.
>Gas water heater is shit.
>Burner won't stay on. Chamber full of soot.
>Finally the regulator gives out.
>Check part numbers to order new part.
>Part numbers reveal that it's a natural gas regulator. Our system is propane.
>Heater had been there for five years, nobody else caught it.

Didn't get re-hired. Their maintenance costs went up too much with me around for some reason.

>> No.1483915

>>1483831
Did they not know ups's can inform a system of running on battery and can run a graceful shutdown

>> No.1484084

>>1483915
That would require paying someone to maintain the systems. Who'd do that when you can wait for shit to break then try to fix it?

>> No.1484156

>>1483872
>be good at your job
>lose job
world will end due to shit like this piling up.

>> No.1484188

>>1483626
cause then it washes down and breaks somthing more important farther down than just your sink, and if they trace it back to you youre in d33p doo doo

>> No.1484200

>>1483872
>>Toilet rocks in place, starts leaking.
>>Easy fix. New wax seal, now flange bolts, done.
>>Pull toilet. There is no flange.
We had a similar situation here at home, only the flange turned out not to be set flush with the floor, but about 1/4" above it. It had to be cut off at the floor and replaced with another set inside it; the plumber told us our neighborhood (built c1972) had quite a lot of these setups for some reason.

>> No.1484215
File: 136 KB, 1280x960, Rushittingme.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>working in old house
>electricians had finished up
>building inspector signed off house as 100% rewired to code
>find this as a hot feed to a lightbulb and 1 outlet
>call up electrician
>he blamed his lazy sub

riiiigggghhhhtttt...

>> No.1484322

>in military
>patrolling around barracks
>see steam coming from something
>look closer
>red hot piece of metal with water hitting it
>call it in

Turns out somehow the power to the barracks (run right next to the emergency fuel tank for power) had somehow shorted onto a piece of metal and the water pipe for the barracks was leaking onto it. They said this is the only reason it was found and probably why the whole thing didnt explode.

>> No.1484510
File: 64 KB, 640x640, 911dubs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1483841
nice palindrome get sir

>> No.1484546

>>1484084
Not really, it should be enough to set it up once, few minutes tops. Or are you saying you leeches charge monthly for installing UPS properly.

>> No.1484631

>>1484546
No, I mean the person who maintains the system would set it up, and check on it periodically. You underestimate human stupidity. If person A sets it up, at some point person b - g will unplug it or fuck it up somehow.

>> No.1484634

>>1484631
. . . continued

For example:
>I needed that USB cable for X
>I didn't know why there was a red X on the icon
>It was beeping, so I unplugged it
>I didn't like the way it looked
>It has to be plugged in?
or the last random tech (because why have a dedicated person?) accidentally pulled the cable out while fixing the last catastrophe

Goodbye graceful shutdown

>> No.1484691
File: 1.40 MB, 274x150, 7e7[1].gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1483845
>put my meter on his heater and tone through the heating element... tell him he has a bad heater, cut the cord off
>do this 2 more times to his other heaters

>> No.1484714
File: 36 KB, 600x785, 317.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1483831
>You needed a 4-year degree plus experience for 20 hours a week at $12 an hour with no benefits.
I've been looking for work. I can't even get hired for this kind of job with the Bachelor's and a year of experience.

>> No.1484716
File: 161 KB, 766x1281, electric.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The person in the apartment only used a laptop, fan, and in winter, a 1500W heater by their feet before bed. These are Canadian dollars, with a price cost of ~12c/kilowatt-hour. Notice anything?

Related, in the same building, a tenant near the bottom of the building kept shutting off the furnace in cold fall weather because their apartment got too hot. Not their thermostat, THE FURNACE TO THE BUILDING.

>> No.1485078

>>1483591
That there is mental illness.

>> No.1485080

>>1483872

Tip: Take a photo of any weird/crazy shit you encounter (or just any job) as you go. It can come in useful later.

>> No.1485091

>pirate ms office 2010 for dads windows 7 laptop
>tell him to let me install updates manually so it doesn't break office
>every month he'll check for updates himself and install them all
>complains to me about office not being activated
>explain to him again why
>rinse and repeat

He refuses to buy a legit copy too.

>> No.1485092

>>1483851
Don't these people believe in using the recycling boxes?

>> No.1485094

>>1484716
Brainlet here, what is this chart saying?

>> No.1485121

>>1485094
It's a history of someone's electric bill.

>> No.1485143

>>1485094
Look at the dates, specifically the same months of different years. Using the electric heater caused almost a 3x increase in the monthly electric bill.

>> No.1485145

>>1485091
Ez solution to get outta that is to turn off the updates. Had a situation where a win 10 update killed my laptops partitioning system somehow, still not sure what it was trying to achieve. Took 5 clean wipes of the drive to figure that shit out and put a stop to it

>> No.1485146

>>1485145
The problem is he'll then go and turn them back on or check for himself even though I keep telling him to leave it alone.

>> No.1485147

>>1485121
>>1485143
Ah right yeah I see now, so that guy turning the furnace off made the other person have to run the electric heater more often to keep warm?

>> No.1485148 [DELETED] 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTleHVkoaNQ

>> No.1485151

>>1485146
Get him a legit copy for Christmas.

>> No.1485152

>>1485147
It sounds like they were in the same building, but unrelated.

>> No.1485230
File: 1.53 MB, 2560x1920, 20181023_123504.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My clothes dryer takes too long to dry clothes..

>> No.1485254

>>1485230
send to geology department for analysis, maybe petroleum bearing

>> No.1485261

>>1485230
Wife complained vacuum cleaner no longer picking shit up so we need new one
>Oh, you have to empty it?
Now ex-wife.

>> No.1485321

>>1485091
block it from reaching the internet in the firewall

>> No.1485506

>>1485230
Maybe, use it correctly then? You could spin some yarn out of that.

>> No.1485603

I have a hundreds of these. I work for a water well drilling company as an electrician/pump service guy/driller.

Call from a new client.
>MY PUMPSHED BURNT DOWN
>wut.
>haha time for a billable site visit.
>mostly burnt pump shed by a burnt hedge with burnt old tractor and a melted puddle that used to be a grinder next to it.
>grinding in stupid spaces?
>Nope it started from the shed.
>poke the remains of switchboard.
>why are there bits of fencing wire in the pump fuses?
>dinndu nuthin
>My supervisor installed it 12 years ago. We still have the job photos
>uh well it was blowing fuses so we put the wire in then it JUST WERKS.
>WHY DIDNT YOU CALL US
>"too expensive"

Fugg.

My best guess is the contactor lost a phase, that caused the fuse to blow billy bob replaced fuses blew more said fuck it and slapped the wire in it pump was just drawing from a shallow well and pumping to a tank, so no real load. Its an old as fuck wood framed board so one of the phases eventually droops enough to set things on fire.

Fucking rural Jews are the worst.
I can make it go again no need for professionals. Oh vey callout fees are expensive.
Many such stories

>> No.1485667
File: 1.30 MB, 2560x1920, 20181024_094244.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My ac does not work..

>> No.1485711

>>1485667
That looks like a lot of computer cases, when someone's PC 'just stopped working, for no reason.'

>> No.1485727

>>1483566
>using shitty routers that need to be rebooted

>> No.1485740

>>1483386
Maybe you shouldn't wire an entire apartment to a single breaker?

>> No.1485796

>>1485740
probably the main breaker

>> No.1485797

>>1483386
In the navy we would have these wooden electrical fuse boxs with thick ass cables to plug into airplanes. The worst was when you would have to keep unraveling these 40 foot cables only to have them being randomly broken.

You could go through like four cables before saying fuck it and having to push a 5000 pound mobile generator across the taxi way.

>> No.1485798
File: 776 KB, 2560x1440, 20160105_151652.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My toilet wont flush good....

>> No.1485799

>>1485798
jfc...

>> No.1485830

>>1483611
I just did this the other day. Made some sloppy joes and poured the grease down the drain without thinking. Lo and behold it backs up later that night. Luckily I'm competent enough to take out the p-trap, clean it out, and put it back in without issue.

>> No.1485852
File: 3.90 MB, 3456x4608, IMG_20181018_191931.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>my mother is a supervisor to cleaning personnel
>washing machine doesn't take water in
>calls me to inspect it because I'm an automation engineer??
>see that the water removal hose is installed incorrectly
>should be making an u-turn above the washer drum maximum water level
>it was just laying on the floor leaking all the water out
>the hose is about 10-20cm short so that it could be attached to drain if the bent is made
>"we need to get a new hose"
>"no time for that"
>improvise this and tell her to contact the professional that installed the washer :D

>> No.1485856

>>1483851
>wade through their poop
>a pair of jeans
Could you call it a "jean pool"?

>> No.1486108

>working retail
>one of the toilets is leaking water badly
>I don't do maintenance, I'm just the guy that everyone turns to when something needs to be fixed
>maintenance technician is there setting up a replacement
>he replaced floor panels a week ago that are already cracked
>he's failed to install a heating element in a popcorn machine for the last 6 months
>the deli's vent fan is giving out on a regular basis and filling the entire store with a greasy haze and the smell of chicken, but because his multimeter shows the right numbers the fan must be working
>go into bathroom
>bend pipe on the ballast thing that I don't know what it's called
>leaking stops temporarily
>pee. leave.
>come back the next day
He decided it was fixed and left it. A new layer of caulk was placed where that rod connected to the ballast for some reason. It started leaking again after 2 days.

>> No.1486324

>>1484156
So common in any service industry. Even IT stuff is bad this way.

Also, people not wanting to pay for stuff to be done right with the correct equipment, and then complaining when it doesn't work is just rampant.

>Get call from motel that's just changed ownership.
>New owners say WiFi for guests doesn't work.
>Go out for site to check out problem.
>There's a single netgear wireless home router (the $35 walmart kind) in a box on the wall, outside, with the weatherproof seal broken.
>"The previous owners said it always worked and should be an easy fix, and it would reach all the rooms."
>Hotel has 3 buildings, freaking 20 rooms per building on 2 floors.
>Wtf.jpg
>Quote them for new AP system, comes to like $5k including installation and hardware because of fucking course it does. Shit ain't free.
>"Oh, that's too much" says the new Indian owner, "I need it for less than $100."
>Say, "Okay you can call someone else then," and leave.
>Bill them for coming out anyways because that's company policy.
>Pajeet never pays bill of course.

1 month later...

>Same Pajeet calls up. The WiFi isn't working, even though they just had someone "fix it".
>Reluctantly go out to site.
>Get there, walk up to mystery box on wall again.
>Box has been caulked with silicone sealant all around, still not watertight though.
>Open box finally, single shitty Belkin wireless home router. It's still transmitting this time though because it's clearly been here for less than 2 days. No where near adequate though. (duh.)
>Quote them again for $5k WiFi system for the buildings.
>"That's too much." says Pajeet.
>Offer small discount to appease him.
>"No, I cannot do this. I need you to make it work for less money! I just need coverage in all the rooms!" screams Pajeet, "I paid $350 for this system here and it just needs the coverage bigger!"
>Walk out without saying anything.

>> No.1486334
File: 794 KB, 329x232, mog1.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1485667
>Oh shit that aint concrete is it?

>> No.1486335

>>1485798
The fuck am I looking at here?

>> No.1486345

>>1486335
the ol fork in the shitter

>> No.1486351
File: 27 KB, 657x527, 4283728763.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1483386
>have a facility maintenace job
>"our air compressor isn't working"
>go look at it
>somebody shut it off/or didn't turn it on that morning
>mfw

Another dumb fucking recurring problem is that somebody complains that the AC/Heat is to low/high and usually its because so many people fuck with the thermostats, I've installed thermostat covers to prevent people from adjusting it and they've actually ripped the fucking cover off of the wall to adjust the thermostat

and eventually the thermostat is fucked with so many times an hour that it actually causes the AC unit to shit itself

>> No.1486362

>>1485261
Shit, that sounds familiar.
>Wife: the lawn mower won't start!
>she was trying to be productive and do "non-woman" stuff
>Give it a couple yanks, sounds like compression.
>Is there fuel?
>Nope, bone dry.
>You have to put gasoline in it???

Yep, likewise now an ex-wife.

>> No.1486400
File: 91 KB, 600x600, 3C0F9712-456F-47E0-8D12-A2D372611852.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1486324
I can’t stand those street shitting cunts. Used to sell carpet at a Home Depot 2 or 3 years ago in a town with a lot of them.
>Rajesh and his fat wife Munchma want to buy new flooring for their house
>pick out a variety of hardwood they like and give me measurements of rooms
>math up a materials estimate for them
>”oh no that is too much, too much I need it cheaper”
>won’t say what their budget is
>take them to dirt cheap EZ-install laminate flooring display
>”do you not understand I need it to cost less than a fortune? Are you some sort of idiot?!”
>take them to bargain bin full of carpet rolls
>”get that one down so I can look at it”
>”no I do not like this put it back”
>turn them over to a specialist who actually gets paid to deal with this shit
>they end up leaving with bargain bin carpet
>refused to buy carpet pad, saying they’ll just reuse the one under their current carpet

They treat store employees like the bottom tier of their shitty caste system.
Chinese at least were usually polite with some idea what they wanted before they showed up

>> No.1486409

>>1486400
>go to hardware store
>want to buy a countersink bit
>it's $25
>go back to using a large drill bit instead
I'm not one of them, am I?

>> No.1486437

>>1485727
using shitty routers that can't be remotely rebooted

>> No.1486484

>>1486409
Where do you live that a countersink costs more than $5

>> No.1486489

>person calls that their boat (canoe) has a leak
>look everywhere on the boat, nothing seems out of the ordinary
>give them boat back, but clean it thoroughly anyway so we'd have something to do
>few days later, they call again saying the boat is leaking again
>reapply sealant; maybe the old sealant was worn out somewhere.
>few days later, we AGAIN get a call that their boat is leaking
>turns out, they're simply getting in their boat with soaked waders and they think the boat has leaks in it.

At least I give them the excuse that they're pushing on 90, but I gotta get out of this Silent-Boomer crockpot of a town one day.

>> No.1486494

>>1484716
That isn't incompetence, that's just straight up being a dick.

>> No.1486499

>>1486400
I will never understand the mentality of Indians. They claim they will be a superpower by 2050, but they sure as hell don't act like it.

>> No.1486500

>>1484716
I lived with brainlets that would turn boiler completely off including pilot light.
Never used central heating in house.
We had to turn boiler on to take shower.
House was terraced and neighbours were normal so party walls must have been cold as ice on their side.
When you woke up in morning outside walls in bedroom were flowing with condensation.
Mould was growing everywhere without good air circulation.
Behind wardrobe, inside wardrobe, on clothes, on shoes, on bottom of mattress and bed frame.
We had to spray everything wit chlorine based cleaner once a week.
Missus was wiping walls and window dry every morning.
Downstairs was so cold they were wearing parkas while cooking.
People who try to save on heating anger me greatly.

>> No.1486501

>>1483851
saw this kind of shit more then once
or landlord of huge industrial estate with access road that never sweeps leaves, never cleans drainage and wonders why asphalt deteriorates in lowest point and why it seems to be sinking in that particular spot
he drilled drainage hole through road in that spot after all
drains are so misunderstood by idiots it makes my blood boil
and I'm not even a plumber

>> No.1486505

>>1485230
I had a commercial gas dryer repair that blew thermal fuse because of that shit.
>>1485261
women
>>1485711
shit men, did that more then once
>my PC doesn't work too good
>take it out with extension cord
>switch vac to blow, cloud of dust envelops neighbourhood, people 3 houses down street get angry they have to wash cars and windows
>computer works

>> No.1486507

>>1485852
if its stupid but it works it's not stupid

>> No.1486618

>>1485230
i almost hope that persons house burns down

>> No.1486707

>>1486489
Classic idiot.

>> No.1486713 [DELETED] 

>>1483617
I was in college and had the dumbest piece of shit stoner roommate who pour candle wax down the sink and this fixed it.

>> No.1486714

>>1484510
>this level of digit inspection

>> No.1486724

>>1486714
>caring about digits, period.

>> No.1486739

>>1486500
Sounds like my dad.

>> No.1486754
File: 118 KB, 498x1184, RIP.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1486484
New Zealand's Mitre 10 (that's nzd so like 26 US).

>> No.1486760

>>1486351
>it actually causes the AC unit to shit itself
delay timer inside condenser unit

>> No.1486763
File: 66 KB, 1002x443, countersink.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1486754
>26 USD

>> No.1486766

>>1486763
Hey that's just the only one they had in the store, not saying that I even tried looking elsewhere. Just happened to be in the shop and noticed that it was something I was missing. No clue what happened to the old countersink bit, must have lost it when moving. Either way I barely use it since pan-head screws look nicer.

>> No.1486987

>>1483591
Too unskilled never even thought that was possible

>> No.1487078

>>1486763
>HS steel
It won't last long, you can't harden the edges with heat treatment because of the high sulfur content needed to be an easy milling material . Hence the high speed steel name, takes no time to make on an automated machine, downside is lower hardness and lower yield stress compared to "normal" steel.
Same reason the Bosch one costs so much, it is made from harder steel and heat treated at the edges to be even harder (most likely laser treated on the same machine).
Better material and better producing technology means higher price, but it lasts for good.

>> No.1487107 [DELETED] 

>>1487078
>>HS steel
>It won't last long,
>the Bosch one costs so much, it is made from harder steel

It's the same material as his $40 Bosch.
20mm
HSS

>> No.1487108
File: 101 KB, 498x1184, 1540588272808.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1487078
>It won't last long,
>the Bosch one costs so much, it is made from harder steel

It's the same material as his $40 Bosch.
20mm
HSS

>> No.1487126

>>1486334
Skin cells. Dust. Maybe 90 days worth. Very common sight in the rental industry.

>> No.1487127

>>1486351
My solution to this is keep that tstat there with power if digital so they have something to play with. Place real tstat in return duct.

>> No.1487133

>>1487078
Ohhh. I see now. CHhinesium HS steel is high sulfur, not HSS

>> No.1487135

>>1486500
This probably violated your rental agreement. One of the things about vacant houses is they rot and go to shut really fast because no one runs the heater.

Obviously you didn't get caught, but you probably gave the house black mold

>> No.1487195

>>1486499
>we iz super power n shiet
if you say it enough it comes true right?

>> No.1487199
File: 80 KB, 501x715, students-laughing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1486499
>they sure as hell don't act like it.
Sure, the lower castes don't act like it but did you know India has over 100 satellites and a few nuclear weapons. I think the word "superpower" might be overstating it but they're no North Korea, they do have some technical and financial clout.

>> No.1487205

>>1487108
HS and HSS are two very different kind of materials. HS is for easy machining and HSS is high stress steel with high yield and tensile strength.
One is designed intentionally weaker while the other is designed to be as resilient it can be.

>> No.1487234

>>1487199
Savages with modern toys are still savages. The only thing super about India is their ability to retain human waste. I've yet to see an actual beneficial contribution to society from that country. Prove me wrong.

>> No.1487252

>>1487234
I mean, they could try to sell their shit as fertilizer.

>> No.1487267

>>1487234
>I've yet to see an actual beneficial contribution to society from that country
The number 0

>> No.1487269

>>1487234
>Savages with modern toys are still savages
Apart from the fact that they didn't just buy these "modern toys", they developed them themselves.

>> No.1487274

>>1487269
You mean the Jews didn't shoot their reactors before they could get there. Not seeing actual uses besides pajeet political muscles. Nuclear medicine or 4th generation reactors is where they should of been by now. Instead burgerland is whom excels.
>>1487267
Sunya was the first explicit 0. But nfr is where it started.
>>1487252
I work in fertilizer. We sell to India.

>> No.1487276

>>1487199
they are a regional power, the US is the only nation that is currently a superpower with China on the edge of moving from regional to super power. Unless china collapses india will always play a bit part on the world stage.

>> No.1487281

>>1487234
Some of the best doctors I've seen are Indian.

>> No.1487282

>>1487276
>they are a regional power
No shit, what does the word "overstating" mean to you?

>> No.1487286

>>1487281
Whom practice outside of it..

>> No.1487289

>>1487274
>Sunya
This was a concept related to "void", not a practical mathematical number.

>> No.1487294

>>1487289
It meant alot of things. Beauty. Piramid base line. And 0. It just wasn't explicit. The pajeet get the explicit prize, but it came 1400 years later and that's only because of carbon dating.

Just because you steal an idea doesn't mean you came up with it.

>> No.1487295

>>1487274
>You mean the Jews didn't shoot their reactors before they could get there
Shouldn't you be in /tv/ or /pol/?

>> No.1487297

>>1487294
>And 0
No, that is factually incorrect, there was no number known as 0 before Brahmagupta
>Just because you steal an idea doesn't mean you came up with it.
99% of shit you use today was developed on the shoulders of previous developments

>> No.1487302

>>1487205
Someone fed you bullshit. HS and HSS are the same thing, High Speed Steel. HSS does have grades and various alloy types, so you can have tools that work better or worse and still have the HSS label on them, but it's all HSS.

>> No.1487303

>>1487297
Brahma was a mathematician who made the divide by zero rukes explicitly. Nfr was the first representation of 0 but without rules.
>>1487295
I wasn't the one who implied India was a superpower. Next time I'll ask what to do with all my Arduinos.

>> No.1487305

>>1487303
>I wasn't the one who implied India was a superpower
No-one in this thread did. Learn to read.

>> No.1487306

>>1487302
Do you really believe that when a chink writes "HSS" on their shit piece of shit it will be equal to a high strength heat treated properly produced bit?
If yes then you are beyond stupid.

>> No.1487307

>>1487305
Sure sure
>>1486499

>> No.1487310

>>1487303
>Nfr was the first representation of 0 but without rules
Nfr was a space in the numbers. A space in numbers that has no rules attached to it is not what 0 is.

>> No.1487312

>>1487307
>Anon makes an unsubstantiated claim that someone makes an unsubstantiated claim
Again, who in this thread claimed that India was a superpower? Pointing your finger at someone and stating that you doubt the truth of what they say is not agreeing with them. Learn to read.

>> No.1487315

>>1487286
What are you even trying to say? Are you assuming that I'm not seeing a doctor in India?

>> No.1487316

>>1487312
>Anon is a pedantic prick.

Learn to not be a pedantic prick, other Anon is right.

>> No.1487317
File: 1.80 MB, 449x704, 1381108708731.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1487316
>other Anon

>> No.1487318

>>1485667
>haha what kind of idiot cements ov...
>oh noooooo

>> No.1487324

>>1487318
Just imagine that spongy dusty feel digging more and more under you nails

>> No.1487325
File: 12 KB, 239x525, 20181027_142827.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1487310
Babylonians used a space. Nfr is a symbol. Pic related.

>> No.1487328

>>1487325
Ok fine, I misremembered that. But it wasn't a 0, it was just to keep the surrounding numbers positionally correct. It wasn't used as a number in its own right in any calculations, it was used purely for positional integrity.

>> No.1487329

>>1487328
It was used in accounting, and it wasn't an explicit zero.

>> No.1487369

>>1487329
>It was used in accounting
This vague statement doesn't contradict >>1487328

>> No.1487374

>>1487369
Because I'm not contradicting it and I'm quoting Wikipedia. 17th century bc shit. It's not the explicit zero the pajeet guy came up with which then involved rules for dividing by zero. As I said above the pajeet get the explicit prize for that one but did not come up with the concept, just how to use it in explicitly. Before then it was a space or nfr and didn't mean explicit zero, but implicit zero.

Was there a zero before 300 bc when some pajeet came up with the rule " thou shalt not divide by zero"? Yes. But because of the lack of the rule and its loose usage of the symbol it was not explicit and the division rules didn't get recorded (from what was found). Who knows maybe the pajeet guy was 2nd to that race but it was lost through the sands of time. In any case he didn't come up with the concept just how to use it correctly.

>> No.1487382

>>1487374
Ok. So we agree that Brahmagupta came up with "the number 0", but not the concept of nothingness.

>> No.1487401

>>1487382
The explicit concept of zero and its rules, yes. But not the implicit one.

I dunno why this all went to this, I was implying modern day contributions of that society and its development of useful tech, which is basically nothing, yet they have nukes so they gotta be smrt right? But sadly their efforts are squandered on greed. A perfect example of this is the essar conglomerate. Or what happened when someone installed a toilet on the street... Even the Russians aren't that bad. I truly hope they implode before they hurt someone.

>> No.1487416

>>1487401
>I dunno why this all went to this,
Maybe it was the savages comment. The problem with India is the political corruption, if they sort their shit out in that respect they could achieve a lot more.

>> No.1487430

>>1486108
Next time you see him, tell him the to replace the fill valve; it's probably scaled up and slowly passing water.

>> No.1487435

>>1486351
So many times I've had shit like this.
>"Anon, anon! The computer isn't working, I can't do the wages!"
>I press the power button on the front and just look at her
They leave the office computers on 24/7, it just never occurred to them that if they were off, they just had to switch them on again.

>> No.1487454

>>1487416
Naw it's the culture. Russia/Italy/China are way more corrupt. Indians have no problems giving only a fuck about themselves vs how Italians created the mafia to avoid taxes as a community. I say this from experience. I hire and work with them. Big difference in the ones from India vs the ones trained here both in performance and ethics and the whole country reflects that.

In any case they have fuck tons of tech, just no intention to use it viably or even contribute to world knowledge. Never have probably never will due to that shitty culture. So ya, they are savages, with toys. Not all but many. I had to fire the last one for the very same reason. He tried to implement remote breaker resets on 4160, 5 miles away, where it would of killed people, for glory and nothing else. My Indian student who was trained in North America was appalled and said it reminded him of his uncles when they perform engineering.

>> No.1487458

>>1487454
I was talking about the nation, you seem to be talking about individuals. Yeah, the caste system is fucked up and doesn't really promote too much self improvement.

>> No.1487467

>>1487458
The whole country is like that bud.

>> No.1487670

>>1486324
Not /diy related but,
>work for a private security firm
>get contract for a waffle house in bad part of town. Mostly drunks being drunks
>two weeks in no issues
>contract cancelled because "we just stand around"
>next weekend shoot out in parking lot
>have contract again next day.

Now a sort of /diy story.
>same security company
>be in charge of all company vehicles. Basic maintenance, cleaning, scheduling, etc.
>summer time
>get call A/C not working in a car. Ok cool meet up with person in car.
>the dash vents arent open.
>look this silly fucker in the eyes and flip vent open and ask them if they feel cold air now.
>wow anon! Thanks!

>> No.1487678

>>1485145
>Turn off the updates
You are the kind of idiot we are talking about.

>> No.1487682

>>1485230
This is natural selection at work right there.

>> No.1487753

>>1486724
nice dubs

>> No.1488388
File: 14 KB, 480x360, trump.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1483830
I had a job years back, 8 people working, I go to the break room for lunch, Boss comes in to get me because all hell is breaking loose. I come back, 5 minutes every thing is smooth, tells me to go back to lunch, All hell breaks loose again. Most of my coworkers were just pretending to work.

>> No.1488421

>>1486499

I mean they do things half-assed but so did the soviets although they are far worse than the USSR

their navy is more accident prone and badly managed than the soviet northern fleet circa 1975, in fact they are more badly managed than the russian pacific fleet in the 90s(and they had an incident where gypsies tried to steal the control rods of a nuclear reactor)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indian_Naval_accidents

>June 2016: Two people, a sailor and a civilian contractor, were killed by a toxic gas leak that occurred during maintenance work in the Sewage Treatment Plant compartment during the first refit of the aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya at Karwar. Two other people were injured and taken to the naval hospital

a literal accident in the designated shitting compartment

>> No.1488422
File: 80 KB, 800x640, indian naval base.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1488421

forgot highly illuminating pic

>> No.1488737

>>1485667
im a brainlet, whats going on here?

>> No.1488738

>>1488737
is that just dust?

>> No.1488866

>>1485254
lel

>> No.1488867

>>1487295
grow up you sensitive little kike

>> No.1488902

>>1483863
she dead nigga

>> No.1489129

>>1487078
That's some top tier bait.

>> No.1489130

>>1487306
>Chinks lie
What a surprise.

>> No.1489138

>>1483822
its pretty much the IT departments fault if they didnt insist on backups, of course higher ups want to save money on things they dont understand

>> No.1489153

>>1488867
>projecting this hard
Did that upset you? Do you need a hug?

>> No.1489159

>>1489138
>t. supervisor
Idiot.

>> No.1489212

>>1489138
Go get an IT job and see how well insisting works. Goes about like the last line of >>1483872.

>> No.1490189

>>1483617
If the drain is pvc, then it melts
>be me who’s done this

>> No.1490229

>>1490189
You bought some cheap-ass pvc, then.

>> No.1490279

>>1485143
Reread the post. Canadian dollars. running the heater *in winter* too often did jack up the cost a bit, but there's enough records to go back to summer 2016. compare June 2016 with June 2018.

There was a fault in the building. Even low-balling the kilowatt-hour cost of electricity, the power consumed is 2400 watts 24/7. The landlord believed a $300 bill was fine, until the tenant told them it was impossible (note, a woman, so she wouldn't listen to me on what to say or do). They finally called the power company and found bad circuits in the basement or something. Never heard from them again.

>> No.1491006

>>1486499

Their government failed to make an ak copy.
This is something blacksmiths in caves can do, and indeed does. The poos failed at that.