[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 26 KB, 527x366, Footing_drain_2-1-main.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1446079 No.1446079 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/, I have 2 questions regarding foundation drainage:

How was it historically done in europe? How were buildings foundation built (roman villas, stone castles, concrete/stone houses) without modern technology (delta MS, tar insulation and shit) to avoid water destroying the cement/stone, creating mold infestation and such?

How do you do an off-grid foundation drainage, considering the on-grid french drainage solution means it ends into the sewers?

>> No.1446144
File: 585 KB, 622x549, oehler.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1446079
Build on the side of a hill
I've been thinking of building a small room half way underground on flatland offgrid and using hardwood posts in cement to give enough clearance so if it rains heavily I'll be able to pump most of it out. The entire structure including the posts and sloped roof will be wrapped in multiple layers of either vinyl coated fabric or polyethylene, using staples to secure them and made watertight with vinyl cement. Similar to how skin on frame kayaks use the materials, the outer walls will be surrounded with a wall of sand and then gravel to direct water straight down.
The structure will be covered completely aside from the entrance like an earth berm house, the wood all coated in layers of epoxy resin

Been thinking it over a while now and other than humidity and the often flooded foundation posts which could cause slumping and other instabilities I wouldn't know until it was built, I'm just not sure about it, I think it would last for 5 years at least as it will only be 2.5x1.5m and high enough to crouch in

I'd like to know if this is possible somewhere with over 1500mm of annual rainfall and if there are any improvements or things I haven't thought about (essentially pic related but with a raised wooden floor)

>> No.1446945

>>1446144
>The entire structure including the posts and sloped roof will be wrapped in multiple layers of either vinyl coated fabric or polyethylene, using staples to secure them and made watertight with vinyl cement
What happens to internal moisture/vapour? Sounds like a great way to have a moldy room.

>> No.1446969

>>1446945
There would be constant airflow through the entrance and the epoxy resin would seal all the wood, other than that I'm not sure.
I wouldn't be able to run a dehumidifier for very long but it could help

>> No.1448400

>>1446969
You're genuinely retarded

>> No.1448426

>>1446079
Use flex seal and you wont’ need to