[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 313 KB, 1500x1113, il_fullxfull.61327387.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1445960 No.1445960 [Reply] [Original]

I want to cast a lot of cheap copies of a 3d print. What is the cheapest resin I can buy in bulk?
I'm looking to cast a gun from silicone molds like a film prop maker.
When you go to Amazon they sell you ridiculous amounts for the price you pay. I bet I could buy the chemical equivapent from a factory for way less then going though Bezos middlemen.

Where do pros buy this stuff? Is there any that doesn't smell?

>> No.1445984

>>1445960
The cheapest I've seen is the epoxy they use for floor coatings usually for $50/gallon, but I don't know if that's the best/cheapest way to buy.

>> No.1446111

Flooring places, industrial supply (mcmaster, grainger, hdsupply,) actual lumber yards, fastenal? Look up local cabinet makers or custom furniture finishing businesses and drop in to ask questions. Pretty sure unscented is a golden goose, anon.

Scamazon is usually pretty close if not the nuts on kindest deal going for most stuff, at least for now. Yes, there are certain products that are totally outta whack expensive. Exceptions and all.
>tfw you have much to research young jedi.
Post findings pls. I've got a project coming up that will use quantities also, but not at prevailing prices.

>> No.1446128

>>1445984
Dont go for floor coatings for molding resin. Its too hard and will break. Flooring doesnt need any flexibility because its supported. Mold cast resin has to have some flexibility or the brittleness would cause cracking and shattering.

>> No.1446139

At my local autobody supply it costs less than €5 a liter, including hardner, but you have to buy in bulk. 50 liters or more.

>> No.1446317

>>1446139
What's the chemical composition? (roughly)

>> No.1446374

>>1445960
>Is there any that doesn't smell?
Urethane smells rather nice and sugary. Polyester smells like wood pulp or candles.
It's acrylic that smells like a headache.