[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 456 KB, 1824x805, tools.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1432212 No.1432212 [Reply] [Original]

Can I ask a little advice guys, I'm 22 and I moved into my new place away from home for the first and I've been here a while and there were a couple of things that needed tweaking so my landlord came over but forget his tools and said
>Can I use yours, I just need a few bits
and I admitted I had nothing, and he was more than surprised and I was embarrassed as fuck... I've since bought a few things and just wondered what other essentials I might need. I'm going to get some power tools but no idea what yet. (Tiny hammer was a joke gift from sister)

TLDR: These are the tools I have, what else should I get for general DIY, and minor projects (live in UK)

>> No.1432216

the most versatile power tool you'll want is a drill. get a hex adapter with a sliding sleeve for driving screws and a set of hex shanked drill bits and a set of phillips/standard/torx/etc bits for driving various screws.

don't make fun of the hammer, it's the perfect size for driving a small nail in the wall to hang a picture, or you may find yourself in a tight spot sometime.

>> No.1432218

>>1432212
>I was embarrassed as fuck

Landlord came over to do repairs but forgot his tools, AND YOU WERE EMBARRASSED????

jesus christ.

and as for the other guy, skip the "hex shanked" drill bits and buy normal ones.

>> No.1432220

>>1432218

He was apologetic and embarrassed himself, considering its a 40 minute drive in traffic for him... but I just felt a bit daft for having nothing

>> No.1432238

>>1432212
Fuck sake op 'i left them in the van' how hard is that?
Also now he knows you're a poof running out to buy multipacks of tools won't impress him.
If you want him to suck you off you should have bought the following:
Toolbox: Cantilever metal or open fabric with metal bar for carrying
Screwdrivers: Start with PZ2, and a PARALLEL slotted 5.5x100, and a wee 3 terminal driver. personally I would say fatmax for insulated, wera for insulated.
Linesman pliers, ideally insulated, suggest ck redline.
Hammer, fibreglass claw or wooden ball pein, take your pick.
Spanners: 8" adjustable (bacho), medium water pump (Irwin)
Junior hacksaw, Stanley knife, blades for both.
Bullet level will fit in your toolbox, anything bigger won't, I find stabila brand arousing, check toolstation it's either offbrand muck or topbrand gold, no in-between.
Tape measure is a must, steel rule and adjustable square are a bonus.
Ignoring power tools this is pretty much all you need for 90% of things I think.
Don't even fucking think about pvc electrical tape get that to fuck. Duct tape, amalgamating tape, pvc sheathing, heatshrink are absolutely fine.
Tool brand is snobbery but its also important, take care of good tools they will last you. It's especially important for you because if you show your landlord top quality you can play it off like you actually use them rather than you bought a shitload without thinking to impress him enough so you can suck him off.
Go on e.g. Screwfix and read reviews, don't waste money on rubbish.
If you have money to spend an automatic laser level is helpful.

>> No.1432258

>>1432212
You got most of the stuff you would need around the house but I would say this >>1432216

Get yourself a drill. Gonna need em for those situations where a little nail won’t hang something and you need to drill a hole for a drywall anchor.

Don’t go crazy like some of the guys tell you to. You have enough to tackle the little shit that you don’t feel like calling the landlord for. Two more things I would add- a set of larger channellocks if you need to tighten a leaky pipe or get your ring out of a drain, and a cheap multimeter to diagnose electrical stuff. You don’t have to play electrician but multimeters can at least tell you if a fuse is bad or an outlet is getting power.

>>1432238
Level and hacksaw are pretty good ones too.

>> No.1432262

>>1432212
I just buy whatever I need at the moment, it's always cheaper than hiring someone anyway. That way I'm sure I don't buy anything that I'll never use.

Btw I'm a landlord and I would never assume any of my renters to even have a screwdriver.

>> No.1432285

>>1432262

Definitely cheaper to DIY but it sounds like OP just wants bare essentials and not for frequent use. Power tool combo kits and homeowner's kits can be way more cost effective than buying items one at a time.

Something like this is a good way to have something on hand to address most homeowner circumstances without spending real money: https://www.harborfreight.com/105-pc-tool-kit-with-4-drawer-chest-69380.html

Priority basic items:
-ratchet and sockets
-allen wrenches
-adjustable wrench
-combo wrenches
-long nose / needle nose pliers
-combination / linesman pliers
-tongue and groove / groove joint pliers
-cutting pliers
-utility knife
-screwdrivers (phillips and flat at minimum)
-precision screwdrivers
-wire stripper
-hack saw
-hammer
-measuring tape
-cheap drill
-cheap drill bit kit (with both drilling and driving bits included)

Much of that should be found in a basic homeowner's kit. Start out cheap and then buy the good stuff once you know you need it.

>> No.1432312

>>1432238

Not that bothered about him sucking me off as I I'll see him once a year for an inspection and he'll bring his own shit, It really was as an adult male with my own place I should have my own stuff, but thanks.

>>1432258
>>1432262
>>1432285
>>1432216

much appreciated thanks

>> No.1432314

Pretty much what everyone else said, but get yourself a cheapo multi-meter and look up some youtube vidoes on how to use it if you don't have a clue.

https://www.amazon.com/Multimeter-Auto-Ranging-Continuity-Electrical-Capacitance/dp/B01N014USE/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1532534446&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=Tacklife+multimeter
This will work as a multi-meter, it will do everything you want it to, however, it's not waterproof or shock proof, you're going to have to baby it.

>> No.1432316

>>1432314
>it's not waterproof or shock proof

I've been using multimeters and bench meters for decades, and it never occurred to me whether or not my meter was shock-proof. What does that mean, and when is it important?

I guess I always assumed that if someone was working with potentially dangerous voltages, that one should take the usual precautions.

>> No.1432327

>>1432316
Shock proof meaning it can't take an impact.
If you drop it or bang it, it will start to break or stop working all together.

>> No.1432332
File: 132 KB, 1000x1000, E93F57A9-ACC8-4D7A-93D0-E8ED60584E9E.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1432316
I mean it really doesn’t matter for a home tool. If it’s in your tool bag all day as you’re going up and down ladders, it probably won’t last long.

>> No.1432335

>>1432327
>Shock proof meaning it can't take an impact.

oh fuck. I need to stop smoking crack while posting here.

>> No.1432339

>>1432212
>socket set
in a house? useless
>alan keys
you will need exactly one, for your radiator tail. not two sets. should have got torx if you wanted two sets.
>stanley vise grips
irwin invented them just saying
>3 adjustables
overkill, and missing waterpump pliers
>set of bits
throw them away not so save the trouble of losing them
>light up screwdriver tester
dangerous throw it away please
>part organiser
for what exactly? tip: if you buy screws and bolts the come in a packet already labeled.

>> No.1432344

>>1432339

I should point out that I have use of socket set and these other things because I always used my Dads, in fact I'd normally have just asked him but he's on Holiday with Mum.

>> No.1432345

>>1432344
>I always used my Dads, in fact I'd normally have just asked him but he's on Holiday with Mum.

normie pls go

>> No.1432372

Gonna reply to because OP seems like he could possibly be led astray:

>>1432339

This is a bad post and should be ignored.

>socket set
>in a house? useless

Ratchet and socket has been one among the most common pulls out of my shitty 15 year old homeowner's set. You don't assemble furniture, bed frames, tighten up lag or carriage bolts, assemble tool stands, etc?

>>alan keys
>you will need exactly one,

Also something I've used frequently over the years. Bikes, furniture, gizmos, etc.

>throw them away

More stupidity. Why are you trying to mislead someone who doesn't know much about this stuff? If you're gonna troll then make it fun and don't aim it at people asking for guidance.

>> No.1432381

>>1432372
>throw them away
>More stupidity.
in the hands of someone who doesn't know they truly can be dangerous
but i recommend op to stay away from grid stuff anyway
>>1432314
yes, definitely a AC/DC clamp meter instead of cheap multimeter. They are way more versatile for grid stuff and you cant blow them up through user error

powertool wise, get a drill, a hacksaw and some flatstock you can use as guide rail