[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 868 KB, 854x712, 1322149952722.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
137372 No.137372 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /diy/,

I would like to begin the art of Exploring the Deep Woods of my hometown, but I have no idea where to start.

Should I obtain a kit?
What should I put in my kit?
How should I go about?
How do I repel ticks?
Should hiking at my local state park be considered practice?
You guys got any stories or tips?

Thanks,
Your fellow Anon.

>> No.137374

>>137372
What I have now:
>Camo pants and (2) field jackets. One is camo with full sleeves, and the other is olive with the sleeves cut away.
>Combat boots.
>Mutitool:
> -1 1/2" blade
> -Pliers
> -Bottle Opener
> -Nail file
> -Screwdriver
>Canteen
>Large light with ~3 hours of battery life.
>6" divers' knife
>22-caliber long rifle, lever action (to deal with the coyotes in the area, just in case.)

>> No.137379

>>137372
>Should I obtain a kit?

First aid kit, yes.

>What should I put in my kit?

Aside from the first aid supplies, lots of water, some snacks, new pair of dry socks, roll or half roll of toilet paper, some spending money.

>How should I go about?

Best to stay away from private properties.

>How do I repel ticks?

Eat lots of garlic 2 hours before leaving the house, that helps for me.

>Should hiking at my local state park be considered practice?

Yes. This is highly recommend, especially to find out if your shoes are up to the task.

>You guys got any stories or tips?

If you have a camera, bring it. There's always a leprechaun.

>> No.137384

>>137374
>22-caliber long rifle, lever action (to deal with the coyotes in the area, just in case.)

>to deal with the coyote

Dingo eat your baby? lol i live in an area full of coyotes. They are extremely shy.

>> No.137389
File: 290 KB, 1280x960, 0131122324.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>137379
>First aid.
Right
>First Aid, Water,
Any good type of canteen?
>Snacks...
Any specific type of snack?
>Dry socks, TP, money
I don't plan on entering town, but any practical use for this in the middle of the woods?
>Garlic.
Fuck, that shit makes me sick.
>To find out if my shoes are up for the task.
Boots disclosed.
>Leprechaun
What?
>>137384
No rifle it is.

>> No.137394

>What should I put in my kit?

add an axe/hatchet to your kit (my grandfather would say that all you need to survive is a good axe, technically he was right, although that's probably not surviving comfortably)

get a hunting knife (i would assume this would be more appropriate than a divers knife, but hey if it works it works)

some form of communication for emergency if possible (i use CB and GMRS radio as well as cell service if i'm in range)

signal flares/fireworks (i find fireworks are usually more available, put them in a waterproof case, signal flares might be more appropriate because you don't want people to think you're having a party instead of in trouble)

a compass (this has saved my ass several times, GPS is good but batteries die)

a wind-up powered flashlight (again, batteries die)
>How should I go about?

Familiarize yourself with the surrounding area using maps/google earth, bring maps with you (be sure to bring compass)

Let someone know your whereabouts and when you plan to be back, so if you don't make it then someone will know you're missing.

>How do I repel ticks?

Bug Spray/proper clothing

>Should hiking at my local state park be considered practice?

never been to a state park, dunno

will now try to remember any helpful stories i might have

>> No.137397

>>137394
>Let someone know your whereabouts and when you plan to be back, so if you don't make it then someone will know you're missing.

This is usually not a problem. I plan on doing this when I go back home. I got college, so I can spend the weekends doing the State Park thing.

>> No.137401

how long do you plan on being out at a stretch?
where are you approximately?
what's your physical condition (be honest)
innawoods'd for two months during summer on east coast usa. it was fun, but i did have a hunting cabin for home base

>> No.137404

>>137401
Around a night for my first run, the big dream is to explore Centrailia, PA before I graduate from college.
I am in TN.
I am medium build, 5'10"/133lbs

>> No.137410

>>137389
>garlic
this would be outperformed by wearing long clothing, tucking it in, and using deet like normal people.

>>137374
If you plan to move around a lot, the more you carry the more you'll hate yourself for bringing it. Also, high visibility clothing unless you are hunting the entire time.

I'm sure your dive knife is a fine knife, but it might not be durable enough to do the things a dedicated survival knife would do, like dress animals, work with wood, and so on.

If you want to get into outdoors in general, an outing club or outfitter might be a better choice. If you're trying to learn wilderness survival, again a class is a better choice than up and leaving inna woods for a couple weeks. That's how you get guys crying to the rangers for a rescue when they break something, starve because they couldn't find any game for days, or get dehydrated from improperly purified water.

>> No.137414

>>137389
>I don't plan on entering town, but any practical use for this in the middle of the woods?

You'll have it if you need it for any reason. Better to have it and not need it then not have it and need it.

>Boots disclosed.

I mean don't buy a brand new pair of footwear then hike all day in them. You'll get nasty blisters from new shoes or used shoes you've never worn before. Make sure they are broken in for a few days of causal wear before hiking in them.

>Any good type of canteen?
It doesn't really matter. Glass-lined metal will give you the best tasting water. Plastic will have the worst tasting water. Metal will be so-so.

>Leprechaun
>What?

Anything you see that you really wished you had a camera for.

>this would be outperformed by wearing long clothing, tucking it in, and using deet like normal people.

>deet

Nope.jpg

Enjoy your cancers.

>wearing long clothing, tucking it in

Not in summer when it's tick season. Way too hot. I never have problems with ticks.

>> No.137417

>>137414
Those boots have been on my feet for the past two years.
>>137410
Well, the knife is for self-defense, you know?

But I'll definitely take a couple courses in wilderness survival and call a couple of friends.

>> No.137418

>>137414
lrn to poly zipoffs

also, you might not be dragging your nethers through high-tick brush where the deet would actually help

>> No.137420

>>137418
lrn2wilderness

>> No.137423

OP here.
I'm off to bed.
I'll be back on tomorrow night and try to collect more information.

Thanks, guys.
You've been a big help.

>> No.137424

>>137404 innawoods guy here
Okay, a one night, lets see
-2 sources of fire (one bic in zip lock bag, other in pocket)
-high percentage DEET spray for the ticks
-wind up and or led flash-light
-I prefer a machete over an axe for quick jaunts, because you're not going to need to knock whole trees down for fire and shelter
-map and compass and the knowledge to use them
- the divers knife is okay, I use a united cutlery magnetic sheath knife that's tougher than bear grylls
- get a leatherman or gerber multitool, I prefer gerber for the ease of opening, but some people bitch about how they break
-canteen (i use one from back in my days of BSA), camelbacks are good too.
-bivvy sack
- whatever you want for a tent
- extra socks. you will thank yourself in the morning
- use scentless deodorant and soap, the bugs won't be as much of a problem. and if you smoke, throw a few cheap cigars in, I find that smoking a cigar cuts down on the amount of mosquitoes around me.

I've been to centrailia, it was kinda boring since there were threeish houses left when I went, and there might be none now, the gas and sinkholes almost killed one of my friends

>> No.137425 [DELETED] 

>>137417
It's your pack. I wouldn't expect that you'd need to stab anything, except some kind of bear, and if you're around bears I'd argue to bring something shootier>>137420
instead. Ounces add up!

>> No.137427

>>137410

>If you're trying to learn wilderness survival, again a class is a better choice than up and leaving inna woods for a couple weeks. That's how you get guys crying to the rangers for a rescue when they break something, starve because they couldn't find any game for days, or get dehydrated from improperly purified water.

this. really learn how to survive in the environment you plan on being in.

something that happened near where I am, what I think happened was a couple of tourists asked how to get to churchill (polar bear tourist spot). I'm guessing some troll told them "oh yeah it's just down that river" and they took off in a canoe on a 500km trip without enough supplies, and no rifle. I couldn't believe hearing they didn't take a rifle, because if a polar bear becomes aware of you, it doesn't go away, it keeps coming back until it gets you or you kill it. It's pretty clear they never learned what they were actually getting themselves into. They were found a week later after getting lost, surviving by eating bugs.

know the environment, know the risks, and be ready for it

>> No.137429

>>137424
>bsa
ma niggah
>>137427
Every now and then I read a news story about groups that get lost because they rely on gps, and take bigger risks in distance or off-trail because they trust the GPS to route them back.
>inb4 I bother to google for said articles

>> No.137453

I've sent a lot of time out in the woods, the longest of which was 2 and a half months. I made my shre of mistakes but maybe i can help you out a little bit.
the first mistake i made and see other people making it all the time, is people have a tendancy to take waaaaay too much stuff in their packs. heavy packs suck, even if you are already in good shape. I think more importnt than though is to do your research, learn the types of wild life are in the area, whats safe to eat, as far as plants go, what critters to avoid etc... a good quality topographical map of the area would be extremely valuable for you to carry.
as far as the actual kit its self goes thats mostly personal preferance, the things every bodys kit should probably include are as follows.
A good quality fixed blade full tang knife, that is Not stainless steel.
at least two ways to make fire other than a lighter or matches.
A way to carry water/disinfect it, my water bottle is stainless steel. and i carry a straw that purifies water as well.
good strong cordage comes to mind as well such as 550 cord, or bankline. I prefer bankline myself.
The most important thing you an carry though is knowledge, the more you know the less you need. when i first started getting into back packing and exploring I was carrying so much stuff, around 60-70 lbs worth of stuff. the last time i went out it weighed 20 pounds and it was so much nicer, yeah i went without a few creature comforts but the time spent enjoying my scenery as opposed to stubbornly trudging along was worth it, this summer i plan to go out with a day pack set up that should weigh around 10 pounds. hope that helped

>> No.137477

hey guise not OP but what about bears? and cougars

>> No.137519

How long will you be out?

Really all you need is water, a map, and a compass for less than a day.

I've been backpacking since I was a kid, doing many multi-day trips. Less is more. Weight is your enemy. If you're used to those boots and like them, wear those.

Multiday pack consists of
~2500-3000 ci backpack
tarp
string/rope/cord
hiking sticks (used for hiking, really reduces stress on knees, and to turn tarp into shelter)
lighter
small fixed-blade knife
water filter
1 nalgene bottle
1 standalone camelback
extra socks
1 extra set of clothes if out > 1 night
small burner/fuel/pan
small headlamp
TP
sleeping bag
spork
food
book
plastic bag for food trash
toothbrush/paste
any medicine you may need, small amount of bandages, small amount of medical tape (I recommend some antihistamines, in case you start having a reaction to any bug bites or plants)

Individualize everything into ziplock bags. If you need more than this, you're doing it wrong. Burner isn't necessary if you build a fire. I prefer burners, I like to cover a lot of ground fast though, and usually don't spend the time to build a fire.

DON'T WEAR JEANS!!! Synthetic pants are far superior. During summer I just wear off brand basketball shorts, during winter I wear 5.11 taclite pants, with a long underwear underlayer. Snow bib if it's really cold/wet/snowy out. If you are sensitive to poison ivy wear pants during the summer too.

Bringing a machete/axe/gun is asinine. There is nothing you will need to do with those, you're wasting your time and adding weight with them. If you need fire wood pick it up off the ground, you're in the woods, there will be plenty.

>> No.137532

>>137427
>because if a polar bear becomes aware of you, it doesn't go away, it keeps coming back until it gets you or you kill it

Polar bears do not exclusively approach humans for the purpose of killing them, they are a naturally curious animal and can approach just to say "hi" and socialize more or less.
But of course, when you have a 500kg apex predator strolling towards you it might be a bit risky to chance it.

>> No.137537
File: 83 KB, 844x473, Edge_03.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>137427
> it doesn't go away, it keeps coming back until it gets you or you kill it. It's pretty clear they never watched that movie "The Edge".

fix'd

>> No.137543

>>137519
>Bringing a machete/axe/gun is asinine. There is nothing you will need to do with those,
really depends on what you plan on doing out there and (in the case of the gun) your local wildlife

>> No.137547

>>137477
bears and cougars are actually probably the least of your worries in the woods, depending on where you are at of course. there are all sorts of water born bacteria that can kill you if you don't purify your water first, things like rattle snakes and the like will kill you too and are a lot harder to see.
in my time of being in the woods, I've seen a totly of two bears, and four cougars, the first bear was from quite a distance, the second we sort of stumbled across each other so i started talking in a calm voice, and slowly non aggressively went the other way. The cougars i mostly saw at a distance, but they say you an scare off a cougar by making loud noise and making yourself look bigger, this doesn't work on bears. I suppose if your really worried about it a .44 magnum might be worth packing around with you.

>> No.137549

>>137543
if i'm going out for a while i bring a half sized fiskars axe with me and have used it alot its and invaluable tool in the woods. If you were to ask me.
good for chopping fire wood, or building shelter, making walking sticks etc.. of course you don't need it but i find the 2-3 lbs of weight well worth it.

>> No.137553

>>137532

>Polar bears do not exclusively approach humans for the purpose of killing them, they are a naturally curious animal and can approach just to say "hi" and socialize more or less.

The last time i was in polar bear territory, one of those bears did stop by to say "hi", we scared it off.

When it returned, we were certain it wasn't just braving our warning shots just to say "hi".

Now I think maybe we shouldn't be going into polar bear territory if it is necessary to kill them.

>> No.139525

Bumpo for interest

>> No.141606

>>139525
Hah me too

>> No.141672

>>137372
holy flying fuck, i think this pic is from a metal gear solid fan movie that a friend of mine acted in. do you know MANOLO?

>> No.141678

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-i3pFPhs9o
Nuff. Said.

>> No.142774

do not where camo, where a bright orange hat and or jacket especially during a hunting season. bring a compass and a map of the area so you do not get lost. bring food like beef jerky or something packagable. bring a flare gun just in case you get lost. bring your knife and a lighter. also tell relatives or friends that you will be hiking and where and when you will be back.

>> No.144249 [DELETED] 
File: 48 KB, 947x222, 21.1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

so i would make my own bow, requesting tips about the kind of wood to use and if someone got the template to cut a longbow, thanks!

also, arrow points makin, i was thinking about using bone (easier to work with a dremel)

>> No.144377

>>137389
>>137389
>>137389
>>137389
sauce on boots!!

>> No.144397
File: 40 KB, 365x568, 20 4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

deku shield, kokiri sword. your set.

>> No.145134

Experienced scout and woodsman.
On my first venture i was underequiped and only had a few pocket knives and dress boots. Since then i have obtained high quality waterproof boots, a few machettes, many more knives, tons of rope, tons of first aid kits and a few miscelanious things. First i never worry about ticks because i always wear pants. I havent worn shorts for about 3 years. Even in the blazing hot summer. I use a 3 knife system that is a pocket knife, a larger sheath knife (bear grylls ultimate survival knife, k-bar, etc) and a machette or a hatchet. I usually dont bring a first aid kit because i dont feel much pain so it doesnt bother me but bring about a liter to a liter and a half for every mile of hiking that you plan to do. Getting a survival guide and studying shelter and fire building are your best bet. As for food it usually gets backburnered for me because you can go for 3 weeks without it so learn how to use traps. There is much to learn but if you just let your inner caveman take over you'll realize you know things you've never learned.

>> No.145151

>>145134
yeah, pants don't necessarily protect against ticks

also, not having at LEAST a fine needle on you and thread is a bush league mistake that could cost you dearly. one good spill and you could have a gushing wound that you cannot stop.

two summers back, family camping trip. my stepdad walked out to piss and fell down a small ravine. he tumbled and ended up with a stick through his leg. if we hadn't been there he could easily have bled out.

take a first aid kit

>> No.145172

>>145151
Tis a flesh wound. Alright monty python quotes aside i have had some pretty bad spills before but i still dont carry one. Brave or stupid im not for sure but i have not had a need for one. I have them because i have to but i just dont use them. Ive had honey locust thorns through my hand and just pulled them out (had to dig a splinter out with a knife) and just held pressure and went on. A few months later i dislocated my knee and put it back in place myself. No acl tearing or anything. I consider myself indestructable sometimes because of all the stuff ive had happen to me.

>> No.145183

You going on foot or in a vehicle?

>> No.145186

>>145134
>bear grylls ultimate survival knife

you know you are a wanker right?

>> No.145192

>>145172
Okay then. Can't imagine why someone would carry three blades and not one cotton ball or strip of gauze. Maybe you can use all those knives to cut up your pants to get that splint made. Should be really tough with only one working hand but hey, your middle name is tough.

>> No.145196

>>145186

Not the same person, but it's actually a pretty sturdy, well-balanced knife with a comfortable grip and the pommel hammer is a nice addition. There's nothing wrong with it other than the styling and general sillyness of a 'signiture' knife. Its better than a lot of the shit out there masquerading as 'survival' gear.

>> No.145198

>>145196
>pommel hammer
>for all those deep woods nails which need hammering

>> No.145202

>>145198
There's a lot more than nails that a hammer is useful for.

>> No.145206

>>145198
Man you must have never been outside before. At the very least you must have heard of tent-pegs.

>> No.145209

>>145151
how the hell does a needle/thread help an untrained hiker stop severe bleeding? I could see it helping keep a wound closed and stave off infection, but even that's hard to do if you're not medically trained

>> No.145212

>>145192
I dont need those. I can start a fire easially without cotton balls(learn to start a fire with birds nests and leaves). Also i carry three knives because i need a machette to remove thick overgrowth (webs of thorns where i hike), the sheath knife is for things that require a larger knife but smaller than a kukri, and the pocket knife is for traps and small jobs. I also have an alterior motive for carrying so many; the woods in my area is surrounded by mentaly unstable people ( one shot a chiuaua witha 12 gauge slug on his neighbors property in front of a 6 year old, another is a rapist, one is paranoid and skitzophrenic and the other two im not for sure but they are shady characters. Ive had a few encounters with them, been shot at, had knives thrown at me, and ive been chased off with every manner of tool.) My middle name isnt tough its chuck norris.

>> No.145214
File: 80 KB, 492x559, retard-baby.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>145206
>using your knife to hammer in tent stakes
>instead of a rock
>or a small log

>> No.145216

>>145186
It does its job and it does it well. I recieved it as a birthday gift from a friend about a year ago.

>> No.145217

>>145214
Why use a rock or a log when you have a hammer?

>pic

Oh right, my bad.

>> No.145222

>>145209
>Idiot.

Imagine this scenario: You have been hiking all day long through thick bush. Having blazed your trail and scared away all game within two miles you decide to rest. Seeing a few berries growing on the edge of a hill you go to pick some. However, your foot slips because you hit a pocket of scree covered by leaves. Your ankle twists painfully and you are now gathering momentum as you slide DOWN the hillside acquiring several intense impact abrasions, many large scratches and one very deep gash along your right arm, your main tool arm.

As you rest at the bottom in the dust, sucking wind you begin to realize how utterly fucked you now are. Not only are you at least twelve acres from any known trail, you cannot even sew up that arm, rendering it completely useless unless you wish to keep bleeding from it for the next few days.

>> No.145232

>>145214
>log or rock
>hammer in tent stakes
>hammer in
>hammer

>> No.145233

>>145222
And then I want to see your ass use your three knives to cut up your pants to make a sling. I want you to try carving a decent load bearing staff to take the excruciatingly painful weight off your sprained ankle. Good fucking luck hobbling up the hill. You might as well just go down to a river.

And since you didn't even pack any antiseptic, your wounds will be infected and beginning to sour within hours in your dirty condition. By nightfall your wounds will be quite sore, and by morning quite red.

>> No.145234

>>145222
Not same guy but grow a pair and cauterize that mofo. Hurts like hell but pain is weakness leaving the body.

>> No.145238

what about some quickclot, that any good?

>> No.145247

>>145234
>cauterize

You've never been more than 30 feet away from a TV or PC your entire life have you?

>> No.145251

>>145234
Yeah, start a fire one handed, while bleeding to death. Good idea

>> No.145259

>>145251
The point is to carry basic first aid equipment. Nothing crazy, like morphine or a defibrillator. Just some strips of gauze, a few clean, sterile pads and rubbing alcohol should do. Or iodine even. A tube of antiseptic like neosporin would be smart. A needle, and some fishing line or thread.

A whistle is also helpful. Most injuries sustained while hiking are to the legs and feet. It's nice to have a whistle instead of having to shout all day and night.

>> No.145270

>>145222
What the hell are you talking about?

For severe bleeding, the kind where you would be at risk of "bleeding out," the only use thread would be at stopping the bleeding would be if you need it for some kind of trauma surgery, like stitching major veins shut. In the wilderness, the only way you could fix that kind of wound would be a tourniquet; otherwise, you know, pressure, elevation, pressure points.

If you have the kind of training to close wounds with stitches, sure it'd be helpful, but it's not like a needle and thread will save your (immediate) life.

>> No.145282

>>145270
No, you dork. First off you have to stop the bleeding. YOU DO NOT WANT TO TOURNIQUET YOURSELF UNLESS YOU ARE ASSURED MEDICAL ATTENTION WITHIN FOUR HOURS.

Read that again please, it's important. Once you stop the bleeding through application of pressure or a tourniquet, THEN you sew up the wound. Then you take off the tourniquet.

If you put on a tourniquet and don't stitch your wound soon to get that tourniquet off you will lose a limb and probably rot internally. Or, you may panic when you can't feel your limb and loosen the tourniquet, pissing dead torpid blood into your stupid torso.

>> No.145284

Needle and thread at least can be used to close cuts to stop bleeding and some of the contamination. If you're injured so bad that you need a major blood vessel stitched closed, and you're on your own, you're probably going to die.

>> No.145294

>>145259
>>145247
>>145251
First off i have in fact been "more than 20 feet away from a tv or a pc". I can assure you that i have much more experience than you. Secondly i dont start fires one handed. I form a base camp with a shelter and fire and from there i hike. Third i know its good practice and all to carry a first aid kit but i prefer to train myself for a situation without one. I also reviewed my post earlier and i forgot to mention 2 pieces of gear i always carry. A bandana and a lighter. I dont use the bandana for fire in training situtations and i often opt to use primitave fire techniques.

>> No.145304

>>145294
>I form a base camp with a shelter and fire and from there i hike
So you start a fire, and hike off leaving it unattended? Seems like pretty good bushcraft, you must be a pro. If you start a forest fire, just piss on it and surf the wave back to civilization, right?

>> No.145305

>>145294
No situation turns out the way you plan it will. You need to expect the unexpected. If carrying a tiny bit if extra gear means the difference between life and death then you take it even if you whine that it'll be added weight. I'd rather lug 2 tons of gear for ten days and never need it than to be out there with nothing but a knife and wishing like hell I'd brought along something more about 5 minutes before I die.

>> No.145306

>>145294
The bandana cannot be overstated. Every man should carry one for when we sweat or bleed.

>> No.145312

>>145282
>>145284
That's sort of my point. It'd be good for stitches. But you need some medical training to be able to do that, in the ways that would keep the wound closed and be beneficial. With the super-severe bleeding, where the dude would die in minutes if his wound opened again, then it's tourniquet time.

>> No.145316

>>145312
yes, but again you cannot tourniquet unless you are assured medical help within 4 hours. Seriously, unless you stitch that wound up and let the blood flow again you will lose your whole limb and may die from blood poisoning.

>> No.145321

>>145316
The point of a wilderness tourniquet is to trade the limb for extra time. The plus to it is that anyone can apply a tourniquet, but not everyone can stitch a blood vessel shut.

>> No.145328

>>145321
You're not hearing me at all. Tourniquets are not a fix for anything. Within five hours you better let that sucker circulate (loosing lots of blood) or it will turn septic. You absolutely must allow the blood to flow, or just remove the whole limb anyway.

Honestly, if you have broken into an artery out in the woods and no one can close it you're going to die.

>> No.145333

>>145328
The blood turns septic and can't get back into the body because of the tourniquet, you retard. It's a fix for goddamn stopping a life-threatening cut without being a trauma surgeon.

>> No.145336

>>145333
Wow, just wow. Septic blood in a limb is bad bad bad. It means you lose a limb. Period.

>> No.145338

>>145333
Exactly right. Which is why you cannot tourniquet unless you KNOW you will receive medical attention. You're just repeating my words back to me and using terms like retard, which you are clearly familiar with recognizing since you must be surrounded by them in your special home for the mentally challenged.

>> No.145340

>>145333
You only use a tourniquet while you are sewing things up, not for any other reason. To stop bleeding you apply pressure directly to the wound. Meaning you are not constricting blood flow any other place around the limb or wound. This allows blood to flow properly without you bleeding to death or losing a limb.

>> No.145461

WildernessFirstAidCertifiedFag here. The medical knowledge in this thread is pretty impressively bad.

One of the best high utility and low weight items is a whistle. Never go on water or in the woods without one. It takes almost no effort to use one, and if you are pinned, trapped, or really hurt you have a good chance of still being able to signal for help.

>> No.145467

>>145461
we mentioned whistles already smug faggot

since you failed to actually read the medical knowledge in this thread you should go fuck yourself

>> No.145470

>>137372
>to deal with the coyotes in the area

My area has some pretty large coyotes but even then they're not a threat to anything but household pets or very small children. They're terrified of humans.

There was only one reported attack against a person last year, involving some 16 year old kid working in an apple orchard. The kid kicked the shit out of the coyote. Literally; He kicked the animal in the snout when it lunged at him and then just kept kicking it until it fled.

>>137417
>Well, the knife is for self-defense, you know?

A hunting/survival knife will perform admirably in that role, in addition to being more useful.

Or just bring a fucking axe, but you will feel every single ounce you're carrying and will end up regretting that.

>> No.145474

>>145470
Are you serious? I wouldn't be caught dead in deep woods without an axe. I mean, maybe in the summer with guarantee of no rain. But otherwise, an axe is essential for shelter building and any wood work you need done. Firewood, plain and simple.

Maybe we're thinking two separate types of shelter construction. I would at least like to have a hand axe for wood collection.

>> No.145476

>>145196
>sturdy, well-balanced
>pommel hammer

It's made of cheap steel and has no mass for hammering. I mean what the fuck, you're in the woods with rocks and fallen branches everywhere you could use as a better improvised hammer.

It's actually not a bad knife when all is said and done given the price range and potential for franchise suck, but I wouldn't settle for one of those.

>> No.145478

rope is handy. Are you going for several nights or a day? Also, I agree with guy above. Bring axe/hatchet.
If your gonna be in there a few days, maybe bring a whet stone/sharpener, but that is up to you. Also, wire for snares.

>> No.145480

>>145474

Maybe we have a different definition of "survival knife". My Bravo-2 is quite serviceable for hacking through tree limbs.

>> No.145487
File: 21 KB, 640x480, buck119.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>145480
Nice, a real knife man. Pic related, it's my Buck 119 Special. A curse on all folding blades. Still, I don't want my main work blade used on fire collection. A hand axe is with me on any trip longer than a weekend.

>> No.145496
File: 60 KB, 800x326, kalingapro-f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>145487

Folders have their place as discreet urban utility tools.

Can't recommend them for hunting or bushcraft though. Pic related.
>y u do this.jpg

>> No.145503 [DELETED] 

>>145496
Oh man, you missed the epic /k/ knife thread earlier tonight. It amazed me how many mall ninjas have more than five terribly designed folders and not one single working blade.

why they need an overpriced serrated edge to cut off loose threads and open packaged I will never understand.

>> No.145504

>>145496
Oh man, you missed the epic /k/ knife thread earlier tonight. It amazed me how many mall ninjas have more than five terribly designed folders and not one single working blade.

why they need an overpriced serrated toy to cut off loose threads and open packages I will never understand.

>> No.145507

>>145504

I don't think I've ever been in a situation where I'd actually prefer serrations to a good plain edge.

>> No.145511

>>145507
I could say the exact same thing. A serrated edge will not hold a fine cutting surface. And good luck getting one sharpened again. It's just wasted blade edge imho. I've used my Buck 119 to do everything from slice trail mushrooms, gut a duck, split enough cordage to last two nights (which is why I always prefer to chop with an axe) and yes, I even opened a letter with it.

With a little tlc, that knife will outlive me and my son can use it to do whatever he wants on Mars or whatever.

>> No.145524
File: 568 KB, 213x200, oh-no-hitler-didnt.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Oh God, the /k/ knife aspie is on here too

>> No.145525

Hey OP have you ever looked at your town on Google Maps? Are you sure you even have deep woods to explore? There are a shit ton of places that look huge from the roadside and are bumping into sporadic housing developments after a few minutes walking.

>> No.145526

>>145507
>>145511

Wannabe-badasses like those. Cuts bones and tendons reaaaally nice, or so they say.