[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 34 KB, 541x515, 63425-2753339.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1371220 No.1371220 [Reply] [Original]

Possibly stupid question but if I bought some pneumatic vibrators for silos and hoppers, attached them to a bin filled with cleaning solution would it work as a type of vibrating cleaner? Not an ultrasonic cleaner but similar? Would it create the cavitation bubbles for cleaning? Would the industrial vibrators just fuck it all up?

>> No.1371230
File: 706 KB, 2104x1956, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1371220
What are you trying to do with it?

It could very well be a viable method of polishing things. Look up brass tumblers and rock tumblers. You can vibrate with physical media and generally it's better to rotate a drum if you have a solution. Ultrasonic baths can also be used for other types of cleaning.

I found some random pictures of stuff on google. One of the DIY ones even uses an orbital sander with a folger's can.

>> No.1371234

>>1371230
Just think its convenient to have one for misc. Bolts and old parts as well as car parts, and mainly my guns. I enjoy cleaning them it's just I don't always have the time

>> No.1371236

>>1371234
I think you would wear down details and mostly polish things using a vibratory method. If you wanted more details you'll probably need to use something like ultrasonic or a sandblasting cabinet with softer media. I've never owned a sandblasting cabinet but they look like they are surprisingly fast at getting the job done and you can also DIY and run one off your air line.

>> No.1371242

>>1371236
I've used sandblasting and it's really only good for getting rid of coatings and rust. I donf think they have something soft enough to just get the dirt and grime off of a rifle without taking the blueing off as well.

>> No.1371245

>>1371234
Also I wouldn't recommend cleaning gun parts any way other than manually or with an ultrasonic cleaner. You don't want to wear down the internals.

It might be okay to clean bolts and such using a rolling type polisher with physical media and liquid, but I wouldn't do it on anything that is torqued to spec because it would likely affect the tolerances on the teeth.

>>1371242
Yeah I agree don't touch guns with sandblasting. Soak them and use ultrasonic if you need to and just a manual brush + solvent/oil for cleaning.

>> No.1371250

>>1371220

I seriously doubt you could get any sort of useful cavitation out of this. You'd be better off with a pump to keep fluid circulating around the parts to be cleaned, same as a normal wash tank.

>>1371242
>I donf think they have something soft enough to just get the dirt and grime off of a rifle without taking the blueing off as well.

Blasters are media-agnostic. You could load one up with shredded sponge if you wanted to. I don't think blasting would be a practical alternative to cleaning a gun the usual way, but I'd imagine a plastic media, dry ice, and maybe walnut shells would be relatively safe on the finish.

>> No.1371252

>>1371242
>I donf think they have something soft enough to just get the dirt and grime off of a rifle without taking the blueing off as well.
soda or walnut shells maybe? idk

>> No.1371287

OP here. I'm really just trying to think of a simple project i can do before i graduate and lose access to the entirety of the ag shop at my school. I want to build something I'm going to use until I give it to my kids. (18 btw. Been here since I was 14~ and decided I liked guns.) If I dont find something interesting I'll just build a workbench but I've done it before. Any ideas?

>> No.1371763

>>1371220
can i use one these to filter all big rocks for concrete?

>> No.1371776

>>1371220
would this turn my dick into ground beef?

>> No.1371785

I should of had one of these when I was dating
Dropped it in her draws and went back to watching TV

>> No.1372512

>>1371776
Your dick would fall off before it did that nigger, were talking about giant vibrators used to move tonnes

>> No.1373239

>>1371220
You could very easily make a vibrator cleaner with one of those. But a vibrator like the one you have pictured are extremely loud and use an ungodly amount of air. A standard shop compressor would not run one like that for long unless it was some kind of really nice high flow scroll compressor.
We have several of those where I work and since it has air going to it, they become an instrument issue for some reason.